Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

often forgotten

yep a ready made shelter is much better in a moments notice than having to build one

at that moment. sure building one might be better in the long run but but i would rather have

a tent i can set up asap for at least the first couple nights. i want a tube tent too. i might not fit

though lol.

Here's something few think of, dried banana. It's a wonder food. Cheap, good calorie storage, light weight and consumed sparingly not too water taxing on the body. The other majorly over looked application is in electrolyte replacement especially after diarrhea. Potassium replacement is critical for heart function and all the BOB's in the world can't make up for the fear, pain and loss of function that comes with having heart problems in the field. I'm very glad to see salt mentioned several times in the thread but Sodium Chloride isn't the only critical compound the body needs.

a couple of safety pins

small sewing kit

safety glasses

fishing line

big black garbage bag

couple of zip lock style bags

small flask of your choice to settle nerves

three extra mags loaded

sorry if i duplicated anyone.

ive also noticed that even in the BOB thread nobody has mentioned tents.

i guess its the whole survival thing but with the size of todays backpack tents,

its to easy to have a ready made shelter with you in your BOB.

I would rather carry a tarp. It can be used as shelter, as well as collect water, and be used to drag people/materiel. Plus it weighs so much less than a tent.

In a BOB, i would rather have a tarp, or a poncho. I would like to get a ready made tent, and i have one in my list of things to get, but that would be something i would use only if needed. I am not going to carry one if i can avoid it. They take up space, which is at a premium with me and my wife, and they weigh more than a poncho, for less utility. When we get into camping more regularly, then we will get a tent (one capable of sleeping four minimum, and able to be used in ECW environments). that is the only reason i would want one, winter. Nothing sucks more than sleeping in a snow grave... With that, for cold weather, especially if there is snow, a sled for carrying the extra stuff you will need (and it will be alot.) A good tent, fuel for a stove if you have one, extra warming layers, the kids, Food (you need more to eat in cold environments), etc. You could even put your packs into it, and make your job of trudging through the snow easier. Also, don't forget skis, ski poles, and snow shoes. Life sucks in four foot of snow, with nothing but boots.

Magnifying glass

q-tips - there are ALWAYS crannies to clean

lint

box knife

super glue - also works as a bandage, but leave a drain hole

small hacksaw - also works for locks if you have a moment and can't pack a bolt cutter

extra flashlight bulbs

speed rope - Gotta' keep that cardio up.

dust masks

sharpie, or grease pencil, and in BOV, red, flat black, and green spraypaint.

work gloves

shoe laces

condoms

afro pick - can be wonderful if you have a beard

moka pot

card deck

cal stat - medical hand sanitizer

and if you're brave - gel rat poison. Only touch this stuff with very thick gloves. absorbs through the skin of whoever touches it, can be used to take out a large group of people if used on things like door knobs.

Ok so I dont think ANYONE mentioned ....P Cs ..

Pipe Cleaners....I have the large ones for cleaning my spray gun.They are 12inch long.I have used them for just about everything,metal cleaning!its a quick wrap! around a pole for the eyes of a fishing pole.attach anything to the frame of your pack.Use it for snares and trapes.

Oh and to clean my Corn cob pipe too..I wont be rolling with paper in the woods.

Yes I will be taking some "Commit"nicotine lozenges in case I cant induldge....

JMHO..

Im taking a SS flask of 8oz also..I may need a drink to settle my nerves.

I know this is an older thread, but thought I'd mention something that seems to be lacking. If you're packing for a woman (or older girl/teenaged girl), you need to have "feminine hygiene" supplies. Take them out of the box (pad and tampons both) and put them into ziploc bags - they'll pack better.

And look at OTC anti-fungal skin medications - good for men and women. You diabetics out there are especially prone to fungal skin infections and if something happens in warm, humid weather, you want to be prepared.

A few padlocks. They'd be great for securing things which you might not be around all the time, and you could use them as emergency chain links, something to swing on the end of a rope for an improvised weapon, or even as a slip joint for a booby trap.

Here's one that I've never seen. What about a long piece of surgical tubing for a Hawaiian sling? I lived near the ocean at one point during my life and my of my friends used these slings for spear fishing. All it takes is a tip, a long sturdy straight stick or pole and something that stretches. Could be used in clear streams or lakes as well.

So I'm not running around with an open wine bottle

Im in agreement.

I have Bamboo Skewers in my EDC..about 5..and use them when i fry Bacon..its nice to pick up one psc.at a time.In the field,stiring food,tooth pick,they burn if need be,to hold small game on the spit,Bamboo is very strong and if need be I will stick you..lol

Here's one that I've never seen. What about a long piece of surgical tubing for a Hawaiian sling? I lived near the ocean at one point during my life and my of my friends used these slings for spear fishing. All it takes is a tip, a long sturdy straight stick or pole and something that stretches. Could be used in clear streams or lakes as well.

indeed, very effective. i use bicycle antana as arrows. the old white with the orange flags. cut them up and sharpen the end. use a nail as a back barb and your set and on the cheap. good call 350

Well, boys and girls, It is months after the SHTF and someone asks: "What time is it?" You look at your watch and it shows 7:00. The only problem is that the sun is almost directly over head. You then realize that your watch battery is dead. You look for your replacement, not there. Now what?

Well it may be a good idea to find one of the old military Timex watches. No battery needed, impervious to EMP...downside is that you have to wind it, but not too tight. The watch Uncle Sugar gave me is still going strong since 1968 TET. Never cleaned and never looses time. So when your battery goes out make your choice now, before the SHTF. Batteries, which can go bad if not cared for with out being used. Or just a few winds every so often. Batteries you can forget, winding you can not. What is your choice?