Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

often forgotten

i figured i would start a topic that is based on the "often forgotten or over looked" things for the BOB.

these are things that should be in everybodies BOB that you seldom hear anybody packing.

i'll start with saying several pairs or surgical gloves. very few people seem to think to pack these from what ive

read on other folks BOB's. anti-diarrea meds are another thing. if you think you can go from eating normal foods

then switch to some of these "meal replacements" w/o a problem you might be in trouble.

even if you have to do w/o food for a few days the runs can and often are a direct result.

can any of you guys think of any other items that should be add or even considered for the BOB that you

seldom read of folks having?

good reply guys. how about a few nails?

nails would come in handy to hang many things from water collecting devices to securing a window or door

from delayed entry, hanging gear if all sorts, many many uses.

twine. cheap,light weight and strong. this stuff can come in real handy. why waste valuable 550 on smaller jobs? from tying and securing lean two's to raft building, this stuff is very valuable and worth its weight in gold.

I know a lot of people have maps and pen/paper, but haven't seen too many (could have missed it) say what they have on that paper. Important phone numbers, bank numbers, etc. Your phone might break and you might not be able to use that usb drive anywhere. Another item would be photo's of your family. For motivation, but also in case you get separated and need to show authorities, etc.

I like the idea of a straw. Need to add that.

how about a straw? these are good for getting water from small puddles or hard to get to places.

also they can be used for getting oxygen to fire tender.

they take up no room and weigh nothing.

AWESOME DUDE! I NEED A STRAW. OR STEEL TUBING. Just alittle bit. Straw might melt getting to close to burning tinder.

i was just setting here thinking, wouldnt it be good to have a camera with you?

there might be situations where a pic could prove guilt or innocence. a pic can often help you find your way back. many uses for a small point and shot camera.

Hell yeah. If/when SHTF I'll be taking loads of pictures, more-so for remembering the event. Guess I'm just a photography geek.

P 38..on my key chain..never leave home with out it,and a small multi tool..

Ok I got one.....TOOTH Picks. its a fork,start fire,use in booby trap(sorry)and get something stuck in your tooth and you wish you had one..just saying ...

Empty med bottle,holds my fire making,steel wool, wood matches, striking board.a place to keep AA and AAA rechargeable batterys.holds salt and pepper and some sugar packets that can be picked up when out to dinner.It will hold some fishing line and hooks,guess whats a large bobber?ok now its somebodys elses turn ..lol

Matt good call on the toothpick. God knows you'd see me in the woods carving a toothpick out of birch tree to get a piece of squirrel out of my tooth.

I like to go with 1inch and 1.5 inch PVC pipe, threaded on each side with caps can be 8", 12" long. Can color code the caps so you know which one has what. Can hold Arrow heads, Matches, Fishing line, all sorts of stuff. Can make one all red caps, and put the fire stuff in it, Flint, fire starters, matches, a few lighters, cotton balls, they sell a fire gel, its an enhancer throw some of that on a cotton ball pt some dry tinder o top of that, dry leaves, dry pine, MAKE A FIRE...!

Ive seen some people make survival walking sticks out of PVC. I dont know how strong it is. but stlll cool idea.

http://youtu.be/fNVreq_84D0

Matt I'm now extra aware that the toothpick is missing from every Swiss army knife I have ever used. I don't know what the intended use is for the Swiss army toothpick because the knifes trap enough dirt and grit to make it not something I would want to put in my mouth and if you used it over any substantial time it could get pretty grotty. So any way real tooth picks would be nice.

Floral wire is about $2 and useful for jury rigging.