Sign in to follow this  
Major Krisis

So I just bought a house...where to begin?

So I just bought a house in a small Southern town (about 4,000 people total) in a rural county area. It is in a neighborhood with about 150 houses. I need to prioritize my preps, as I'm moving from an apartment to this house. I have limited storage space currently (about 400 sq feet if you combine garage storage area and closets not already claimed) and I currently don't have any outdoor storage capability. Currently, only two people and a large dog will be living there.

I figured the first purchase would be the bathtub water storage bags for the two bathtubs and possibly some Wise food (two weeks worth, as a stop-gap. Can I have some help brainstorming from here?

Basement?....

Yes water first consern..Know your neighbors...who what were when...Be friendley and find out what is the current "Outlook"and who will be a friend and who wont!

Enough ground to stat a small garden?...You dont need much..Please look up the video on "Back To Eaden"on u tube..it wil help you greatley the first year!

JMO...have fun!

I have just shy of 1 acre, with a fence on three sides (the back is open). The very first thing I'm going to do is finish that back fence and put a storage shed back there. The garden is important and something I have been doing a good bit of reading on. I also have a friend who has a 2k sq ft garden who is helping me right now.

Fortunately, the area is located next to several state highways (two are four lane, three are one lane) that are not heavily traveled in this part of the state. Its unlikely they'd be bogged down or gridlocked in the event of a mass evacuation (possible, as the site is relatively close to a nuclear power plant).

There is at least one other LEO in the neighborhood, so I'm planning to start looking there. I'm not sure about the rest of the immediate neighbors.

Home Depot has some 5-shelf heavy duty plastic shelving (it's grey) that they sell for about $36 each. We have two in our basement that hold a lot of our supplies. We are happy with the durability and price! Also, easy to assemble (no tools needed) my three year old and I constructed one in about 10 minutes.

Good to know. Lowes Home Improvement is a couple of miles down the road. I just bought a truck also, so I intend to use it to its full potential! There is no basement, small crawlspace only. There is some extra storage area in the garage.

Here is what I have so far (in order of priority)

1--Water storage bladders

2--Finish perimeter fence

3--Meet & Greet with neighbors

4--Scout area for back roads, alternate routes, possible BOLs, etc

5--Additional food stockpile

6--Construct raised garden

7--Additional reinforcements for house (door blocks bars, window covers, etc)

If water storage becomes a space concern and you have creeks,rivers, ponds, lake, etc around consider Just Water products. I'll be adding a bucket system kit to the website soon.

I found these very affordable and decided to buy from manufactures. I also offer a discount to people on this site so if you see any product you are interested in send a pm

Back to topic; Sounds like a nice place you've moved into. I love it in the "country" . You've just reminded me I need to start planning for the garden..............

Where we live we have about a metre of evaporation per year but in the raised beds that is increased to at least three times that amount due to irrigation water seeping quickly through to the natural surface. We only grow vegetables in our raised beds during the winter months because of the amount of water and time it takes to keep them moist during the hotter months.

If you would like raised beds try Wicking Beds as these will save you water and they can be easier to maintain than raised beds. There is quite a lot on the internet about them.

During the hotter months we grow a lot o

If the water table will allow you to put in a cellar that could be a priority and a good way to camouflage it would be to build a room over it. If your site is sloped it would pay to have two entrances, one under the room and another via an underground ramp.

I am not sure about saving water in bladders. We have about 100,000 litres of rainwater storage and out largest tanks hold 31,700 litres. Because of the way they are constructed they cannot be buried but there are some on the market that can be.

plywood the attic so you can increase storage space or better yet get a shipping container and set it in a shady place

gutter your house and set a a septic tank to capture rain water use a sump pump to water the garden with it in the mean time.

a regular pitcher pump will work without power you want at least 1,000 gallons as you may have to water your garden

animals personal use bathing drinking etc

plant blueberries, grapes, figs, whatever as it takes 2 to 3 years to get a good crop and they take a minimum amount of

time for their output I have told people this and their response is I don't eat that or I don't like them WHO CARES it is a

commodity to sell or trade or feed {bait birds to hunt} and a bird fountain is a good thing as I like watching birds now but if

I have to I will hunt them.

consider well where you build set or bury anything as you may after some after thought realize it would be better elsewhere.

for north wind protection of a garden or defense funnel security or numerous other reasons.

It is easy now to get a backhoe and dig what takes a man a week or longer to do so while you can figure out what is the hardest

and most useful long term digging a well putting in a in ground cistern because where are you going to get such things in a event?

install D.C. lighting controllable from inside to monitor your property along side standard A.C. motion sensor lights.

the fence is great just remember double gates to allow propane trucks septic or whatever you might have come in

I had a load of soil brought in it came in a large dump trailer.

a large propane tank and a pilot light demand water heater a 110 A.C. model is crazy as when the power goes out

even if you have water it won't work without it tied to a generator.

also consider a small tank {above ground cistern} as in major power outages water service may be out even a couple of

drums would work allowing you to fill by hand or a generator powered pump to use the toilet and bathe dishes etc.

it takes a bit of plumbing but it can be routed through your house plumbing {don't do this if it freezes long term in your area}

it is also good to check if you have a water heater in the attic if so move it more homes have been almost destroyed by

water lines and water heaters in attics doe to freezing or normal breakage.

I built my home all I have are service lines in the supply line is outside it minimizes the chance of water damage

fire extinguishers a couple kitchen and carport garage and smoke detectors in all rooms

if you have a attic mounted gas furnace have a carbon monoxide detector and a gas detector.

a fire plan for the family.

and if you have a home on pier and beam a light under the house keeps out skunks and vermin from making a home under yours.

there are so many things but you will get to them make a list and check it off as you go

you need a couple of dachshunds they are more fierce than a pit bull and 2 of them are hell on strangers critters and snakes

they don't eat much and are great foot warmers and very family oriented they don't meed a large doggie door that allow

skinny burglars in and the puppies sell quick but they are so cute you want to keep them all.

and a outside cat you can pick one that will show up weather you want a cat or not they will hunt if you do not over feed them.

keeping vermin and snakes as well as anything else down .

if you like inside cats that's your problem

Not sure how the lab would react to the dachsunds, she takes priority as she's our first and I trained her. A couple of fire extinguishers are definitely a good idea, thank you for suggesting that.

The list is sure to be long so I'll be checking in frequently with updates!

Making a plan/drawing of the area is a priority. Then inspect every part of the house and property....keeping in mind what needs to be upgraded such as insulation, wiring, windows and so on. Storage is all important....measure the spaces you have such as closets garages, storage rooms and cabinets....then search the web for ideas on how to get the most from each. Then create a plan of action that will prevent having to back track on any one project to do the next or the one after that. Do consider the possiblity of creating a safe room..with weapons, food/water, light & communications.

Good luck with your new place.

one thing you should always do is rod the ground and follow natural gas or propane, water lines sewer lines and tanks or

electrical conduit to know where they are located.

any underground tanks need to have natural or some man made markers to prevent accidental drive overs

check your wiring that it is not aluminum and make labels for all your breakers in case you need to turn them off it is easy

with 2 people a wall plug polarity tester costs about 5 bucks polarity problems cause home electronics to fail

some lines may cross to other rooms. as was posted it is a good time to insulate caulk replace any loose or

broken wall recepticals changing bulbs to swirly saves a lot of money I use them outside without problems.

If your home is on pier and beam there is a product looks like mylar coated bubble wrap works great underneath

wood floors versus many others that cause problems later if you ever need to do floor repairs.

if you can consider replacing the roof with metal instead of shingles when the time comes

now and then I see advertizements for steel buildings so cheap that it is worth getting for the

sheet iron alone and use it for projects it seems cheap until you add the concrete slab but a few friends

have built them and they came out great, just remember to loose fit square and then tighten the frame.

it can be daunting but when you have land you can buy or trade for things and wait until you can and put them in

I still have a pile of commercial metal studs and track after I built a 14 x 14 shop if someone offers you something

may as well store it I would rather be considered a hoarder than kick myself for not taking what's given.

the difference between a hoarder and stocking is how you store it and where one corner in neat stacks no one

will say anything.

all good stuff making numerous plans and then picking and sticking too many changes cost time and money.

my SO plays a game called ranch rush it seems it has some strategies that could help a person open their eyes to

how to setup their homestead.

Do not consider any dog that is overly noisy or vicious as they will draw attention to you.

Cats become an issue when they visit the neighbours and peeing in places where the odour lingers and may result in causing bad feelings.

The same goes for fencing that does not match the type already in the neighbourhood such as security type fencing with barbed wire. Well placed fencing in the gardens for climbing plants etc., can make unwanted visitors follow certain pathways and make it more difficult for them to have more direct routes to your private areas.

It is a good idea to join several local/community groups as you will be able to get an idea of how the community works, who knows what, who can do what etc.

You can also use Google Earth to get a topographical view of your property and the area around your property...give you an idea as to the lay of the land as it were.

I'd switch items 2 and 3 on your list.

Bazza

way to late my dog is so crazy he bites himself for a golden retriever he is one weird dog but he keeps anyone or anything

out of the yard my little man keeps all informed of any movement at night his ears are better even in his sleep he hears sh*t

sometimes it is annoying but he is never wrong.

being grey is not good or bad if people think your not to be feared they may try to take you if people think your nuts they just wait till your gone or have no clue and don't consider the consequences and try to rob you anyway.

as far as all this crap about someone may attempt confiscation well it would be door to door no notification and complete coverage

no chance of making last minute arrangements the flood and fill approach.

if you have not taken measures already your not going to have a chance later a viscous dog is not perfect I did not choose for him

to be that way he is a rescue dog it is his nature I have trained some of that out of him but he is still unfriendly to strangers

all my dogs have been rescue dogs or free as I feel like there ares so many animals why be too specific it a dog is not a fashion

accessory it is a living breathing friend companion that being said if your SO tries to kill you then now it's a survival issue.

a topographical plan and or model to scale or placards to reference out building gardens etc there are software that does similar

things in 3-D its all good as long as you get what you want I am very ardent about fruit and berries they are cheap in one season

they pay for themselves even if only bringing in game they increase tangle foot on both sides of a fence and do not need but a cursory check and water every few days .

a blueberry bush gives 5 to 15 pounds of berries when mature grapevines yield many pounds of grapes and citrus trees I have

Mexican limes and lemon trees for their citric acid I use it for preserving in dehydrating to prevent mold etc.

it also is used to maintain color and makes a refreshing drink in summer the have thorns over an inch long and are a denial of

area fig trees take a few years but are one of the best natural foods that can be dried canned made into flavored jam or even a

thick spread a great dried additive to pemmican my reality is 10 of each can make some coin I want more right now I cannot

swing it but I gradually get more each year I just go 2 pomegranate trees

so far my count is 4 grape vines 4 blueberries 3 fig trees 2 peach trees 10 lemon trees 4 mexican limes and 2 pomegranates

2 blackberry vines 2 large 15 gallon buckets of ginger growing a few bay leaf bushes and raise chilli pequine peppers

along with my bucket garden of yellow squash okra a few versions of tomatoes onions and garlic and grow some bean varieties.

winter greens cabbage carrots kale lettuce beets turnips and an experiment or two.

I try not to grow common items I want to use this for trade you cannot trade a commodity that is common here limes and lemons

garlic and blueberries are not common and are Perennials so every year you get a crop and you can spot water instead of broadcast and in times of drought that is important to me also I can add nutrients as needed and spray as needed maximizing

as much as I can my resources.

all of this is able to be dehydrated canned frozen or ground to powder or used in storage mold and insect deterrent

everyone will have corn but in years like a few we have had droughts and the corn died without more than worthwhile watering.

dehydrated blueberries last years vacuum sealed in jars I love them the only thing I really want and cannot or rather won't

is honey bees africanized bees are a real problem and you can not tell when the hive turns and you could end up attacked

mowing the yard.

1--Water storage bladders for bathtub

2--Meet & Greet with neighbors

3--Finish perimeter fence

4--Scout area for back roads, alternate routes, possible BOLs, etc

5--Additional food stockpile

6--Obtain additional water filter options

7--Additional reinforcements for house (door blocks bars, window covers, etc)

8--Construct raised garden

I'm not worried about the whole gun-grabbing thing. I have contingencies worked out if it comes to that, but we'll just say they won't be getting anything from me.

Some excellent comments from the group. My only addition is based on your comment about major roads in the area. Every road is an avenue for attack. If people are fleeing some event down those roads, your place may become a tempting target. I'd make a map of the area and take a very hard, very honest look at were the avenues of approach lead. You may find that without a lot of help, your area is not defensible. There are things you can do to mitigate that, but they need to be done before the need arises.

Just one more thing to worry about, I guess.