Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

Help me answer a friend, how much ammo is enough?

good numbers a minimum of 6 for each nothing worse than having to load in the middle of a game

stripper clips suck lad on a rock and you got a bandoleer full of loose bent ammo

card boards get wet from sweat and rain crossing rivers lakes climbing up loose dirt makes a clay wad

and you never can find that damn stripper clip guide goes MIA.

loose ammo in a drop pouch ain't a no brainer either they never seem to line up in your hand to get them in the mag.

magazines are not impervious to silt sand mud crushing getting shot bent breaking melting anything you can do

a mag can do better some new mag condoms work great but if your in a lead rain you want speed so anything

getting between you and getting it in the mag well is BAD the top is only one entry point the base allows silt

to flow in and it settles and turns to concrete shotgun tubular mag pistol mags if it is not air and water tight

it is a recipe for disaster if not maintained.

ammo needs to be vacuum sealed air water and mud or dirt in unison with dampness or water is only going

to cause problems now you have another use for that vacuum sealer just make 2 cardboard U's to cover bullet tips

so they do not rip the plastic and seal 40 rounds in each bag mags not used need to me in a zip top bag empty

you only need 80 to 100 rounds maged up.

shotgun shells are picky I leave them in 5 round boxes and seal 2 to 4 boxes in a bag if you roll your own

there are companies that sells shell boxes and shot shell components.

if you think your going to roam the earth with a full mag for months and slam it jam it and fire your

in for a surprise and it ain't a good one.

anti tilt no jam resistant followers LMAO now that's funny right there.

As to how much is enough, my approach is the more the merrier but I am expecting to Bug In for most situations. In a SHTF situation, all you have is likely all you will have. Do not expect to be able to go out a scavenge after the smoke clears for any number of reasons. Ammunition is scarce and expensive at the moment but there are still deals to be had if you look around. I am in agreement with Snake as to having plenty of spare magazines, and with the run on high capacity (or as some folks like to put it, regular capacity) magazines, you can still find pistol magazines at pre-rush prices if you look. For revolvers, may look at getting some speed loaders if practical.

How much ammo is enough is relative to your situation when you run out.

If you trade ammo for food then you probably wished you had more food saved.

If you run out of ammo while in a gun fight then its another number.

How much ammo is enough is relative to your situation when you run out.

If you trade ammo for food then you probably wished you had more food saved.

If you run out of ammo while in a gun fight then its another number.

haha bamaman, you beat me to it

Why doesn't your friend cache some of his ammo at his Dad's and maybe somewhere halfway in between at a rally point?

You said security was an issue but l doubt anyone will find it buried in the barn.

It sounds to me like the main thing he needs to stock up on is education. Sounds like a little piece of heaven for a retreat (BOL). He has guns, ammo, food, farming area, etc etc etc. Main needs now should be skills, don't you think? Remember, a President is seen as wise mainly if he surrounds himself with good advisors. Conversely, a prepper is seen as wise (and long lived) if he surrounds himself with skills and others that have skills to plug the 'holes' in his knowledge. Now os certainly the time to be 'cramming' for the big test. He and his friends need to COMMUNICATE about what skills each has, and what skills are necessary for a group to survive. As far as gun 'stuff', I would only recommend parts kits to keep his guns running. Remember the old saw - Two is one, and one is none....

Having raised our children in southern California with the crush of humanity there, I learned quickly NO amount of ammunition on hand will be "enough".

Having defense needs as a priority without food and water being more important is just plain foolish at best.

Also, assuming you will be able to "make it" to a retreat location, and that logistically your journey will be relatively unimpeded is also utter nonsense.

While we no longer live in California, we now live in a much more politically friendly climate, having carefully chosen this current location for "bugging in". Our children and their families are within EASY walking distance, as our home is their bug-out location.

I am not trying to be harsh at all, but if your friend "thinks" he is going to be able to manage all of his current firearms logistics easily in a crisis situation, he is sadly mistaken.

I would recommend he dial down his caliber selection to a more realistic and manageable logistical approach, and assume he will NOT have a re-supply at all.

If he is steadfast in his "reluctance" to pre-position" food, water and other logistical needs

at his chosen retreat location, let him learn his lesson the hard way. It will be a lot easier on you. We should never force our ideas, plans or procedures on anyone who is reluctant to receive asked counsel and advice that does not mirror image their own.

Our current President is a prime example of that kind of narcissism.

Good ideas both of you. I personally like the idea of having guns capable of firing several different types of ammunition, but I also think that it is important to have main ones that you stock parts, mags, and ammo for. For example my primary defensive rifles are 5.56 and my primary handguns are 9mm. These are what I stock ammo, parts, etc for in bigger quantities. I still think it's worth having guns that fire 7.62x39, 308, 357, etc and a hundred rounds for each. With the ranch I hope to barter beef for other items, makes sense to be able to barter for more types of ammunition than just the two I primarily use.

Here again, I agree with what others have said about taking care of other needs first rather than overloading on defense without having food and water taken care of. If you hit a comfortable point there though extra guns aren't a bad investment, they can be a great prep as well as a great barter item.

He needs to add more members to his group as far as I'm concerned also, he won't have enough people to handle the work and watch load necessary to produce food and keep the place secure. It's not my deal though, I just give him advice when we talk and he makes the final decisions. He is reading lots of books about different skills and ideas that I loan him on all aspects of prepping and survival, but reading something in a book isn't the same as actively going out and doing it. Hopefully he will get through the learning curve between reading about how to do things and actually becoming skilled at doing them.

He is thinking about things and getting some of the big things done, plus he has a good place to go. He will be ahead of alot of people with what he has done but he still has a long way to go. I think he is smart enough to get out early so he makes it to his Dad's in an economic collapse situation or something like that. EMP or sudden event may be a different story.

That's one reason I've been working on stocking a box or two of all the common rifle and pistol rounds, or better yet reloading supplies for them. If I come across a gun through barter or defending myself I will be able to add to the ammo supply for it. I don't get carried away with it but having a set of dies for all the real common rifle and handgun calibers, plus a box of bullets & primers in each of the calibers I have dies for makes sense to me. I can use the same powder I have saved for the guns that I rely on and only load the ammo if I need to this way. I picked up some of this stuff on auctions when older shooters I knew passed away just to have around. Didn't spend much on it either that way.

if you have decimal drills you can make bullet mold out of a chunk of wood tubing or pipe

paper patch a bullet up to another caliber not perfect but if you can hit a 6 inch circle at 100 yards

it is better than nothing and good enough to hunt with.

you can make pistol wad cutters from pouring a cut to length shell full of lead use Alox lube and they work fine

hard wood can be used as bullets Japanese did it in WWII

a pair of pliers heat annealed and drilled make a ok lead mold

having sizer dies from lee for as many calibers as you can afford might be an option to size lead cores

a cannelure tool to engrave lead bullets Alox is so good you can take a torch and melt the bullet and the alox wont melt

cool stuff.

If you have shot cups for your shotgun you can fire just about anything and you need them or you will scar your barrel

get a box or so of brass shotgun shells for your gauge gun and punch to cut overshot cards and you can used water glass

candle wax or thinned wood glue to seal them they use large pistol primers and should last a very long time using

new powders black powder hardens brass. they need a larger diameter wad as they are larger interior diameter.

I have a large selection of molds round ball black powder rifle pistol shotgun slugs etc if you do this a lyman reloading manual

is paramount it has reduced power lead bullet loads using powders like unique 2400 HS6 and 7 blue dot and all of these

powders can be used in loading pistol and shotgun.

while molds dies sizers are available I would start a collection of at least what I used.

he needs to get rid of 3/4 of the guns, and get into bullet casting and reloading. Then he'll have plenty of money for plenty of ammo. get airsoft and .177, too. they save a ton of money and time normally wasted on trips to the range. The .177 for precision slowfire, the airsoft for high speed stuff, man vs man.