Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

campers/ Bug out safety.

lets create a situation and see how it goes.

ok your out with yourself, or with g.friend or wife and kids. your camping or practicing your BOS, (bug out situation) and a couple "questionable" folks or 1 guy shows up acting suspicious. you know they might not have good intentions, so its at this point you............

(how do you handle it from here)

If it's a bunch of guys (more then 2) that's the point where my rifle is with me or within arms reach. I wouldn't open carry it because that escalates the situation but throw a coat or a towel over it while carrying. Anyone semi familiar with guns would know I'm carrying but I don't know enough about them to take a fully hostile stance. They might be out in the middle of no where to drink beer and set of fireworks or they might be looking for someone easy to rob. I guess another factor is how far in the middle of no where am I? A public campground is completely different then true wilderness. If it's 2 or less open carry of a holstered sidearm approach them and call out a question of "can I help you?" or something similar where i can put a hostile tone on a none threatening question. Despite all arguments of what is and is not the best tool for the job I have to play a dangerous game of political correctness and politics. If I enter the situation with a rifle and the situation doesn't warrant it I could be talking to the sheriff latter in the night. How ever a holstered sidearm implies police. The gangsters out here carry in pockets and pants so having the holstered open carry which most people don't realize is legal out side city limits sends a message of I am authorized to carry don't fuck with me. People don't fully understand there rights as far as guns go so I have that on my side.

I had a situation at a local state park. We rented an area so that six families could camp for several days. One night about 2 hours after dark a truck with 3 guys in the cab came up to the area. They where met with four male adults that had their hands on their right hips. We never showed a firearm or threatened them. I told them that this area was privately rented and suggested that they leave so that our families didnt feel threatened by strangers. The driver finally saw where our hands were. He said yes sir sorry sir and off he went. I reported the story to the ranger with a tag number. They were picked up later as they were caught hunting at night with an illegal firearm,fishing without a license and under age drinking.

Awake - that's a scary situation for sure. Underage drinking there's allllllways one wild card. Never know whats going to happen.

Auto - your so politically correct. When I first read he topic, then reading your reply. It clearly showed me how immature I am.

If I am just camping with my 2kids and my girl we'd have our dogs with us, so I'm going to know there close by if there on foot before they get to my site or "safe zone" to which I would cut them off somewhere between them and my kids. With dogs in tow. No one wants to get attacked by two 125+ pound mastiffs. It's easier just to go find an easy victim.

If I was in a when shit hits the fan for real scenario it would be different altogether. But this is the Internet talking crazy wild on here is inexcusable.

What seems to be missing is what your companion is doing. In this case, my wife is off to the side with her own firearm covering me. She may even be out of sight. If we have them with us, she also has one of the dogs. At some point, "a look guys, it's hard to hold these dogs, would you please leave before something regrettable happens" often works wonders. The split targets also says to them they may win but they will get punctured. If they are totally harmless they won't see it that way; if they are up to no good, they will notice.

A lot also depends on exactly how they approach the camp. In my part of the world, walking into someones camp, even during broad daylight can get you shot. http://survivalcache.com/survival-psychology-hello-the-camp/ The old western "hello the camp" was used for a reason. If they ask permission to enter your camp that's one thing; if they just walk in, it is a different thing entirely. A dog or two really changes the dynamics. If your lady is holding 100 plus pounds of teeth, they may well not be paying attention to you. Something about being eaten just unnerves folks and they won't want to mess with them, her, you in that order.

If it's 2 or less open carry of a holstered sidearm approach them and call out a question of "can I help you?" or something similar where i can put a hostile tone on a none threatening question.

A good skill. The tone of voice can never be explained on paper. "HAVE A NICE DAY" can be said in such a way that says I hope you break a leg but if questioned you can honestly say, I just wished them a nice day! Whoopee Goldberg's "BLESS YOU" in "Sister Act" left no doubt about what the "blessing" really meant.

The key is to keep some distance and not to be surrounded. If they try to surround you, they are up to no good. You really don't want to shoot a dumb kid for being dumb but don't let them push you into an indefensible corner. They may not be dumb, they may be there with evil intent.

good reply too bart. for this situation there are no dogs to help out and the lady is um............

say just setting and enjoying the fire. in addition to my first questions, after the confrontation, do

you pick up and leave/move to prevent a later better prepaired return from said intruder/s ?

good reply too bart. for this situation there are no dogs to help out and the lady is um............

say just setting and enjoying the fire. in addition to my first questions, after the confrontation, do

you pick up and leave/move to prevent a later better prepaired return from said intruder/s ?

Emphatically yes! It would be a pain, maybe ruin your camping trip but wouldn't mess things up nearly as badly as getting someone shot or getting caught in the backwash when the police show up and bust the drunks.

I guess if you are in an established camp ground it wouldn't be necessary assuming others were around. Off by myself in the tall and uncut, the intruders might decide that since they'd never find the bodies, why not? It is easier to establish a new sight that to dress a knife wound so bug out; some things are just not worth getting all bloody over. Just my not so humble opinion.

Sticking out like a sore thumb, i'm always on the look out, down here in the south, when i'm out in the woods. the few situations i've come across, the BG always usually look over you twice. First they just notice, "oh theres someone else out here", fishing along the side of the road, with my wife and gramother, i noticed this car of 3 kids drive by on the bridge either jr's or senior class highschool aged. then about 400 yards down the road you can hear'm turn around, and drive by again, cross the bridge and they turn around again, but approach slowly on the gravel road, and do the ultra slow look while on the bridge. keeping them in sight out of the corner of my eye and not staring back, trying to appear smaller while sitting/fishing on a boulder, i can see them in the car all trying as hard as they can to see us and the creek. and this was an unplanned place we went to. where we had went earlier in the day was a national park with park rangers taking people out in guided tours. vs. where we were at was a 100+ year old creek mill that time forgot which nothing remained but the concrete divert to funnel water toward a water wheel mill. I saw'm, and my wife saw'm and when they drove by that 3rd time, stopped and tried their hardest not to make an audible sound of any car doors closing, we knew it was time to go without talking about it.

when i was fishing in alaska by myself, anywhere you can drive to, it was a given 200 to 1000 other people are going to be there all doing the same thing your doing and for every 3 people, 2 were packing either a rifle, a shotgun or .44 magnum and for usually the 6th or 7th person would be carrying both a pistol and rifle for grizzly bear protection while some had jus a can of pepper spray still brand new in their holster, with the zip tie still holding the safety pin in, like yea, sure the charging bear is going to wait for your lack of wild alaska experience, to find some finger nail clippers and clip that zip tie. i was the guy that carried all 3.

down here, out in banjo land, unexpected side trip, i haven't packed anything for personal protection, not even bug spray, (which stings if gotten into the eyes). once i heard the car engine shutoff and not hear anything and jus barely a click of a door closing with 3 people in it of a 2 door coupe, not a word, not a sound, of where they were at. my wife and i just looked at each other and broke down our rods in half and packed our tackle boxes as fast as we could and started walking.

as luck had it, (supreme being, intervention, call what you will) our groups met on the trail where it was a steep and narrow culvert down the side of a hill and they chose the side that was more slick and loose rocks, where we had more of a stepping stair side. instinctively my wife and i had our tackle boxes toward them and our rods in the other hands. studying them on their way down, all they had was fishing rods, no bait, no tackle, how in the world are they going to catch anything? the minimum a worm tub or something. jus as we're passing each other, i stopped, dropped my voice pitch 2 octaves and said "Hey" with an upward nod, and stern look, they all looked up from choosing their footing, they realize how big i am and sheepishly say "hey" back. and after they pass us and out of sight, we didn't waste any time leaving, as i'm hearing tree branches breaking. i wasn't gonna wait to see if they were making clubs.

15 years ago, about 2am on the road in a fully loaded chevy suburban, coming back out of the deep alaska bush of a 6 week trek, on a 2 lane highway downhill of a mountain side, we round a corner and in the straight stretch, this pickup truck and trailer coming up had its flashing lights on, and blocking both lanes, you can see 2 people walking around in their highbeams. first thing my dad says is "Get the Gun" in that Gunnery Sgt tone, finding it, i rack one in and decock the hammer for the Sig P220. then he barks "you got one in?"

"yessir"

"jus hold it, and watch your side" he says.

having no other way to go but forward to get home, we come to a rolling stop just after their headlights so we can actually see something in the dark ahead of us. and jus constantly scanning the ditch line, surrounding tundra, and checking the mirrors, so i can see behind me and our rear, we come to find out, the dude blew a head gasket and radiator fluid was steaming and all over the hwy, trying to pull a load of lumber up the mountain. i'm still keeping a weary eye on everything and we tell the guy, were sorry we can't help, our truck is full of mining equipment and camping supplies, and don't have a tow strap or chain to pull your way overloaded truck and trailer up the rest of the mountain.

turned out to be some poor guy, murphy's law caught with their pants down, handcuffed over a tire, in the worst way possible. an hour down the road feeling bad for the guy, we pass a jerridan going the opposite way. 1 more guy on their team, with bad intentions, that would've been a good ambush spot.

in every survival book i've come across, where the local tribes are invovled and they find you or you them, rule number 1 is never ever show them your weapon, or demonstrate how powerful your weapon is, it may jus make you a bigger target for them.

my thoughts too capt.

get while the getting is good. the second time (return) you might not get so lucky.

It occurs to me that leaving might also be the chance for a gentle lesson in defensive planning. If the lady is not into guns, the fact that you are moving to protect her might start her thinking about the situation and what she would have done if you had been unable to defuse the situation. Just a thought.

exactly capt bart. since prepping is getting to be bigger than before, i figured i would create this situation to see what folks say. as folks are getting into camping or out practicing their skills and walking through their BOP

(bug out plan), this might come up. this is a highly possible situation that can happen at any camp site.

there are crazies in the woods too people. if you go often enough this type thing will eventually happen i think.

Kinda late answering, but here is what I would do. It is generally harder for a right handed person to shoot quickly to their right than to shoot across their body. I would approach the individuals with this in mind, and considering that the majority of people are right handed. I would have my pistol concealed but ready. My girlfriend would slip back into the dark, draw, and cover me from concealment with her weapon. If anyone tried to circle my heeler dog would alert us of their presence, she is protective and old enough to understand the difference between sneaking and walking up. If they were looking for trouble, hopefully this would deter them and if not we would be ready. After this happened we would leave if possible or else keep one of us and the dog on watch the rest of the night.

I'm looking at getting a few of the personal alarms that sound off when a pin is pulled also for my bag. One of these with a trip wire set at the entrance to my camp would be helpful also. Not something I'd do as a preliminary precaution, but if I'd already been approached I'd feel it to be prudent.

And that is why

I always carry a north american arms they are so small they fit in the tackle box or in a pocket

they are so loud a person cannot tell what caliber.

one is a 22 mag the other is a 22 long rifle

a pair of these keeps you from running out of ammo

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615128/tuff-products-quickstrip-17-22-caliber-10-round-polymer-package-of-2-black

I have a couple of them even if I were to be surprised and my main pistol was taken

I am still armed.

and I do not care about rules as unless your arrested your not going to be frisked

under federal law you have a right to self defense and no restrictions apply except illegal weapons

police are not responsible for your safety and even in parks etc the second amendment

covers you as in no state or federal laws can be made to inhibit your constitutional rights.

it might be a court battle but the old saying I wold rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6

applies.

and I carry a plastic painted squirt gun so if I do not have to fire i can hide out the other and

have a cover because BG will lie and try to use the law against you.

they hate being out done and then this make them look like little scared girls.

the plastic squirt gun it is also good for wetting a bandanna to cool off or glean up...

in short if your not armed all the time your a potential victim.

a door should have a weapon on it just because they looks like the UPS

guy and has a box does not mean they are.

going to your mailbox seems like a easy task until your confronted

by someone and they have the LOOK.

It is a sad state but no one is safe anywhere women are being snatched

form parking lots and even stores in broad daylight a gun in a purse

is not going to help you. there may be a window of opportunity to

protect yourself if you have the means.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Good question, it kinda depends. One guy, not much of a problem. Keep a good distance, find out what he wants. 2 might be pushing the comfort zone, but again, good distance helps. 3 or more and its time for my sig-other to get a gun and head on over. When I camp I would open carry, so that should be the first sign I'm not your average city moron....even though I'm from the city. Not much in the way of large bears in Ohio, but we do have them, so my shotgun would be along for the ride. Slugs and 00 Buck, semi-auto Mossberg 930. If they look like they're up to no good, after the encounter is over, we pack up and leave.