Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

The USPS Deserves to Fail

This is a PSA and a personal vent.

This morning, I went to my local USPS office to mail a package to a friend.

When I approached the counter the employee placed my parcel on the scale and then asked me, "Does this box contain any letters or cards?"

I had never heard this asked before and answered honestly, "Yes, it has a card in it."

He says, " Well, I need to charge you an additional 0.46 on top of the parcel's postage cost due to the enclosure inside."

"What?! Why?!" At this point steam is being emitted from my ears.

He says, "Your card is piggy-backing on the package to the same destination."

I know this guy is just a low-ranking USPS employee. I am not going to make a scene or ruin his day. But, the USPS double-charged me today. The card's weight was included in the weight of the overall package and in its postage cost. And then the card got charged again.

I can afford 0.46., but it's the principle. As long as my item doesn't contain anything "liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous," why the HECK does the USPS have any right to know what matter of paper items I have enclosed???

Furthermore, I paid them to handle ONE parcel (the card is inside this one parcel). If I wanted to mail the card separately, I would have paid for TWO items.

In addition, no where, at least easily accessible on the USPS website, does it mention anything about additional postage for enclosed letters or cards. There is no signage posted on premises. AND, if this is something new, they are under obligation to inform the public ahead of time.

Anyway, I am beyond irritated. And people think government healthcare is great idea! Pishaw!

From now on, I am only doing my shipping business with UPS or FedEx. Consider yourselves informed. There is a reason the USPS is failing - it's crud like this. :mad:

And now you know that the first thing out of your mouth is... WHY Do you ask? Learn what they are wanting to know for and then consider your answer carefully. As long as the contents are not hazardous it is none of their business. You might want to look at the prepriced boxes they offer and remember the standard answer is nothing to worry about in that one.

I like the sign in the Fed Ex store that says, "let us fill out that form for you"

First thing out of the guys mouth this morning............"here, fill out this form"

I said," here's a sheet of paper with everything you need on it"............LOL

I never answer a question with an answer but another question I never give a straight answer nor do I ever give information

without a lawyer being present that is my right and I stand on them I received a GOVERNMENT FORM asking my race creed color

and some other information that is prohibited by FEDERAL law.

strange I am now a muslim of color part Indian and eskimo lesbian democrat under employed and who speaks Swahili and Flemish.

Das fedonia Komrad!

i think UPS and fedex do the same thing if i remember correctly...

You remember incorrectly Wally.. It goes by weight or if it it's large and light, it is adjusted by size measurements.

The only questions we ask at FedEx are, "does it contain liquids, haz, or firearms?"

Stick a card in it if you want, no problem, just don't try shipping your Aunt Bertha's severed head.

When UPS went on strike back in the 90's, I was running deliveries on Music Row in Nashville. I heard that joke at every other stop! I finally started telling people (when I sensed em starting it) if they finished the joke, I would not be deliverying to them again and I wouldn't take their packages either. I was sooooooooo glad when UPS's union got their crap together and came back to work! My stop count went from a relaxed 110-120 stops per day to a frantic 180!

And my route went from 20-30 streets in the area down to a street and a half.. Thats right... 180 stops in a street and a half and I was running the whole time! I actually carried 13 guitars up three flights of stairs at one time! My customer bet me $100 bucks I couldn't do it.

I have rural delivery and that witch just basically throw packages out on the ground beside the mailbox. I found several hundred dollars worth of kindles laying in the dirt once and my Daughters college diploma was wet and laying in the yard. They don't even try to fix problems so everyone on my street just delivers the stuff we get in the wrong box by hand to the right place. We do NOT put it in the mail box because she will pick it up and it will never be heard from again. I was told that you are not allowed to place anything in a federal mail box unless you are a mail person!! I wish they would just go toes up and let someone that wants to do the job have it!

recently I had a flat rate package go missing so the search was on

after 3 weeks it finally made it it had been cut open and viewed ans was wet like it had been soaked it was sent

with 2 others that made it intact and in 3 days to my friend who needed the contents badly.

when I asked for my money back on shipping {apparently flat rate boxes have no insurance} they were confused

I had to point out that payment was for delivery not accepting and loosing the MF".

this went on for a week I would call and complain they would send a request to find and I finally asked who was the

supervisor at the facility that we needed some face time.

I made it plain that I would be her best friend and call every day maybe a couple times a day until this issue was

taken care of you do not loose a 16 pound small flat rate box.

when it was delivered it had been "CUT OPEN" I guess we are getting like a third world country people opening

and stealing whatever my mail carrier had to be told in person not to leave boxes on the post or the box not closed

I get sensitive mail and the sender has clout and she knew it I explained she would have to explain to them not me

why their packages were damaged or lost.

I figure it was some security check but hey if they want to know ask I got a smart answer for them but there is

nothing they can do it is all legal and forthright.

everything is a part of dhs department of hysterical stupidity knee jerk reactionaries and politically correct gropers

50 years ago someones ass would have gotten whipped for that sh*t and no one would have batted an eye.

Haha. Funny addition. My sister and brother-in-law JUST NOW (on 3/6/13) received the Christmas card my husband and I mailed them via USPS on 12/16/12.

She called me and asked, "Are you joking with us? Why did you just now send us a Christmas card?!?"

I just laughed and explained that we had mailed all of our cards in mid-December.

My mail carrier is pretty good. God help me when she has time off though.

The post office is pretty good here too in this small podunkin town. I ship with them every day and they are nice enough.

Guess i'm lucky.......................knock on wood