Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

pet bug-out

anybody care to talk about or share ideas for bugging out with pets?

does your animal have a BOB??

excellent idea. During Hurricane Rita we bugged out with 3 dogs and a cat! That is part of why we bugged in for Ike! If using a BOV your pets ability to tolerate high heat may be a real problem in the summer. A great many cars can not run the AC when idling for hours in a traffic jam. The pets are more sensitive to heat that we are and the risks are real.

If walking out, the pet can haul a travois http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travois with his survival gear and maybe some of yours. The American Indians traveled this way long before they had horses. Some working breeds actually need jobs to do. There are backpacks designed for pets. When they are walked, they carry their packs as part of their "job". This is good training for a GOOD.

The pets can also be an excellent early warning indicator. They hear and smell better than we can. The down side is that a pet may be the noise maker that gives your group away. You must practice the GOOD plan with your pet so the pet knows how to behave during a bug out.

all good points bart.

ive always had dogs and cant see life w/o them. i have a beagle and hes very much a part of the family.

he even has his own savings account. (swear its true)

pets are very sensitive to change. good point about the car windows and no AC bart.

pets will drop like flies in those conditions.

extra water is a must when pets are on board. panting is a sign of several things with a dog.

stress,worry,anxiety,over heated, to name a few. water is a must for all this because panting dehydrates.

yes it cools the dog down, but it dehydrates. my dog has a BOB all his own. its one of those simple $5 bags

that have the ropes for straps. its high vis yellow and its designated handler is my g.friend.

she is bernies "mom" and knows all his records and meds and which is what and how much of it. follow me?

his bag is in mid revamping. he has a flashing red collar for nights and to be seen by passers by.

he has a 15ft leash with a retractable leash to boot. he has his water bowl, meds and a copy of his long records. his shots are up to date with the 3 yr shots when possible. his tags are current.

hes got a big water bottle and 3 days of food. if we go longer than 3 days i'll hunt his food or share my own.

this is before the revamping guys. i dont know what im gonna do with it but im sure i can make it better.

i also have a muzzle and know how and when and when not to use it. my beagle wouldnt bite a flea, but it might bark when silence is golden.

im curious to hear from some of the different animal folks, like the snake, ferret, turtle etc etc owners. im sure with these animals a little more thought has to go into the equasion. and i hope these animals are going with you and not left behind.

that type thing really burned my arse when katrina hit. so many people left their animals to fend for themselves. there is no way in hell i would leave w/o my beagle, or any pet for that matter. its my

belief that they should be cared for in all things. if you cant care for them ya shouldnt have them.

just my opinion guys, it doesnt go a long way.

Man I want a GOAT! Truthfully Im going to be getting both of my Mastiffs Bug Outs. Ive always toyed with the idea of making them waterproof windbreakers or winter jackets. They looooove the snow! They could spend hours out in it while I shovel or take care of the walkways. But that doesnt mean they dont need something. Im going to have to look into this more now. SHEEET one more thing that proves im not prepared. lol.

You ever watch the reality show on Discovery where they hunt the wild hogs? They have to big pitbulls wearing chest plate bullet proof vest! its so insane! Is this what you are talking about?

FUCK IT MAN. I say take out a personal loan for 15k with the lowest interest rate and fully load yourself up. do two fully decked out bags 2.5k, Buy a old JEEP or old van 2k and build a Bug Out Vehicle +2k, Archery Equipment 1k , Freeze Dried food for 2 people 3k, IF your married or have a girlfriend 2 Bug Out Bikes 1k, build a BUG OUT TRAILER FOR BIKES 1k. 1- good rifle , ar-15 or an AK 700-1000bucks, plus a ton load of ammo 1k - MOONSHINE Equipment 500-1000bucks.. NEED TO TRADE SOMETHING FOR GOODS!!! START BREWING. Thats what I plan on. I seen a special on this guy who makes vodka out of grass that grows on the side of the highways. Soooo crazy.

Then you spend the next 5 years paying it off. 250 a month... lol.

THIS IS JUST A JOKE. My friend sold a bunch of his stocks and built and bought everything in one day.

Edited by SEAN
fix it

15K? if i did that i would need my BOL sooner than i had planned on. my g.friend would be head hunting me

like there was no tomorrow. lol

well ive never seen that hog show but i bet its the same thing. its a plate worn over the chest to help keep punctures to a minimum as well as snake bites. ive seen several dogs that had been stabbed by a stick while

running through the woods hunting or playing. its a freakin painful mess bro. anybody who allows their dogs to run loose through the woods should have one of these one their pup.

Man. I just moved to WestChester its 15 mins out of NYC. We have the woods in the backyard and we let our dogs chase the deer and coyotes and rabbit and whatever else is brave enuff to come near the house. I need to get a pair. How do i find one? what the hell is it called? Thanks man. Appreciate it, good stuff. Cheers mate.

see i wish my beagle could wear one of these. hes had spinal surgery and the pack is off limits.

Poor Dog, time to upgrade dude. Beagles make hella lotta noise tho dont they? A few of my friends families have them and they all bark this crazy bark. Does yours do that yelping bark type noise.

Dobermans are good dogs. German Rottys are great, but Cane Corso's are so loyal and so good with kids. there top quality dogs. post-1372-13851497643902_thumb.jpg

lol my beagle is dead solid quiet. its all in how you raise them.

ive had all kinds of different dogs and ive settled with the beagle.

no they arent azz kickers but they have everything else you would ask in a loyal friend.

yes bernie has the famous beagle bugle as some will call it. lol

I hear that on the chest plate for dogs. Growing up I had a black lab. We used to cut down our own Christmas trees and put this small circular piece of metal on the base of the tree and then put it inside the holder thingy for the tree. One year after Christmas we threw our dying tree into a "to be burned" pile. Well dumb idea cause one day here comes my black lab strolling up on the porch looking like everything was fine with blood streaming from his belly.

A BOB for the pup is key. We have a 60lb mix (German Sheppard, Lab, and whatever else was hanging out in South Carolina at the time). Originally we had her food and meds in my wife's and my BOBs. However, it made more sense to pack her own in case the first person home had to bail before the other made it home.The first one home takes the pup and moves to the rally point if it is unsafe to stay. The pup can carry her own food (about four days), meds, collapsible bowl, and spare lease).

Speaking of those dog plate vests. I know they also have them for bird dogs in case any hunter is such a crap shot they shot their dog instead of the birds. :)

(jace where ya been)

yep thats how it happens jace. it is a common injury that can be avoided.

Been around, just dont always post some days. This site and forum are much more advanced than my level of preparedness, so I do more reading than I do opinion sharing. I refer to myself as a "freshmen" in the prepping community, so I try to study more than I do give my opinion's.

i do understand. thing is, there can be a lot to learn when you comment or ask questions.

this is a reintroduction for me too. as a kid these things were done automatically by most.

we didnt think about, we just did it as a way of life. as i got older i didnt follow up with the things i was

taught to be honest. (if i did life wouldnt have had so many hard knocks) well over the last few yrs ive went back to my roots in a lot of ways. i found this site looking up " bugging out ".

i grew up with the concept of bugging in as the only option. so here i am. i know just enough to have me asking more questions lol.

hey sean. yes always protect the ones that will/would protect you if they could.

our pups and other critters depend on us to lead, protect, and make sound decisions for them.

if your pup knew what a plate was i bet he/she would want one to wear.

i have a couple canteens already but thanks. i opted for the plastic types. i want that lifesaver water filter i think.

Yes for sure. Plastic over the time is harder and harder to clean. They gave the old school G.I.'s metal ones because they could sterilize them simply by throwing them in the fire. With the stainless steal bottles you can put your water in in, throw it on the hot coals and wait for it to heat up. You dont even need to boilthe water. According to Princeton <--click link

The Fact is - with a water temperature of 160 to 165 degrees F (74 C) it takes just half an hour for all disease causing organisms to be inactivated. At 185 degrees this is cut to just a few minutes. By the time water hits its boiling point of 212 F (100 C) – plus or minus depending upon pressure or altitude – the water issafe. Even at high altitudes the time it takes for the water to reach a rolling boil and then cool means you can safely drink it.

I want a few options to clean water. The LifeSaver is one, and the one needed when on the road making my way to a Bug Out Location.

Im posting something about the Dogs in a new thread. Im also posting a really good list I found online for preparation.