Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Vive

I'm worried about guns

I assume you all know about the potential gun bans and things.

I am 20 years old, and since a kid have always wanted to have a collection of at least every common caliber of weapon.

I currently have no guns, and am quite worried that by the time I'm ready to start buying them up, a lot of them will be banned or outlawed..

What do you think about this legislation, when could this proposed legislation go through and affect citizens etc? Will I be able to have nice guns in the future?

Mainly, what do you think would be smart to buy asap? Thanks

I'd start with a shotgun first. I favour 12 guage then it's a toss up between 20 & 410.

As for a rifle & handgun, I'd pick a 22lr rimfire over a centrefire round. Ammo is cheap, so you can practice all you want & not worry about the cost of ammo. Practice makes perfect. It's better to hit your target with a calibre that has less recoil, than a calibre with massive recoil that you can't hit your target with. As time goes by & you find that you have more money to spend, I'd pick 9mm or .357 magnum for handguns. 223 or 7.62X39 russian round for rifles. One gun that i would'nt buy is a desert eagle. Looks bad ass, but weighs more than whats really needed for a handgun. The only thing i like about the gun is the rotating bolt & nothing else. As for choosing what name brand & model its all personal.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

i'd get a 12 guage first, then a 22 rifle then you'd be set for just about anything execpt long range shooting...then i would get a 30-30 for deer hunting...then i would get a MBR is 223 or 308...then last but not least i would get a handgun.

i would'nt worry alot it doesn't look like the senate will pass anything and i know the house wont pass anything

the good old NRA is on top of this one...

I'd start with a shotgun first. I favour 12 guage then it's a toss up between 20 & 410.

As for a rifle & handgun, I'd pick a 22lr rimfire over a centrefire round. Ammo is cheap, so you can practice all you want & not worry about the cost of ammo. Practice makes perfect. It's better to hit your target with a calibre that has less recoil, than a calibre with massive recoil that you can't hit your target with. As time goes by & you find that you have more money to spend, I'd pick 9mm or .357 magnum for handguns. 223 or 7.62X39 russian round for rifles. One gun that i would'nt buy is a desert eagle. Looks bad ass, but weighs more than whats really needed for a handgun. The only thing i like about the gun is the rotating bolt & nothing else. As for choosing what name brand & model its all personal.

Sounds reasonable enough, do you see any potential in a ban of the weapons you mentioned?

Everywhere around here is out of all common rounds though , 22lr, 223, 357. Hoping trend wont continue..

i'd get a 12 guage first, then a 22 rifle then you'd be set for just about anything except long range shooting...then i would get a 30-30 for deer hunting...then i would get a MBR is 223 or 308...then last but not least i would get a handgun.

. Sounds smart, will most likely follow advice, this seems to be the general consensus around here anyway.

i would'nt worry alot it doesn't look like the senate will pass anything and i know the house wont pass anything

the good old NRA is on top of this one..

Does this include semi-autos, and large magazines? In your opinion, do you see those being banned in the future?

Sounds reasonable enough, do you see any potential in a ban of the weapons you mentioned?

Everywhere around here is out of all common rounds though , 22lr, 223, 357.

I don't see any bans of firearms really.

Ammo will show up at your local gunshops, might take a while though. Have faith, things do turn around.

Buy guns from reputable manufacturers too. Take the time to research and save yourself some money in the long run. Dont go off half cocked and let money burn a hole in your pocket and waste it on some throw away gun because you would be amazed at just how much 75-100 dollars extra towards a better gun could make a difference in every area. Like P210sig said, the desert eagle is all cosmetic. no practical app whatso ever and not to mention there about 1500 to 2000 bucks. All in all dont make egotistical purchases with firearms as it will only leave you broke and pissed in the end.

Also dont limit your gun buying to the shelves of Walmart or the pawn shop down the street. They arent bad places but better deals can obviously be found elsewhere, Armslist.com is a great website to look throught your state and all the others for good deals and its pretty much craigslist for firearms. Ill vouch for it as ive made a few purchases from people on the site.

All these folks hae good advice. Start off with the shotgun (12 ga my preference) and the 22 rifle. Best for budget and overall suitability. I like Wally's recommendation of the 30-30 (loved my Marlin). Also, at least here in Texas, I have noticed that decent lever action rifles and revolvers are starting to become available on the market again at decent prices while "black rifles" (or really all semi-auto rifles) are still crazy expensive. Same with quality semi-auto pistols as well.

Of course, one thing to be aware of is the political climate in your state. I wouldn't tell anybody to move because I don't know their situation, but no way in heck would I live in New York, New Jersey (or really anywhere on the North Eastern seaboard), California, Illinois, or, now, Colorado. Those states are going, going, gone...for the moment anyway when it comes to their willingness to deprive citizens of their Second Amendment rights.

Does this include semi-autos, and large magazines? In your opinion, do you see those being banned in the future?

no but i do see a future in when it wont be wise to own one becuase there will be so much regulation surrounding semi-autos and magazines

nothing to see here go home LOL

http://patriotaction.net/video/video/show?id=2600775%3AVideo%3A6109579&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_video

I think we have something to worry about this is the reason knee jerk reactionaries

nothing worse than a fu@king do gooder look for crime to hit the ceiling in Colorado.

MAYBE thier house will have some common sense and vote NO on the bills :(

(1) Buy yourself a BB/pellet rifle and start learning to hit what you aim for. Airsoft has some stuff you can even practice indoors with which could be valuable at some point. (2) If there is a paint-ball site near you you can rent equipment and learn tactics as well as meet new friends. (3) Go to a nearby gun range and talk to the people there.....some will be willing to help you learn and it should give you the chance of trying out different guns and learning why the owner chose that particular one. (4) Read gun tests and make notes. (5) Save a few dollars out of every paycheck you earn and you will build up the money you need to buy a quality tool. (6) If the NRA, Game wardens, or local police offer a weapons education program in your area take the time to go. If there isn't one, be proactive and work to get one started. Remember, people fear what they do not understand. Education can change the way others look at guns. (7) Any time anyone says guns kill people be sure to correct them.....Just say that is not correct...People use guns to kill people and they also kill people with sticks, rocks, kitchen knives and cars. You are the weapon...everything else is simply a tool to accomplish the job at hand.

I assume you all know about the potential gun bans and things.

I am 20 years old, and since a kid have always wanted to have a collection of at least every common caliber of weapon.

I currently have no guns, and am quite worried that by the time I'm ready to start buying them up, a lot of them will be banned or outlawed..

What do you think about this legislation, when could this proposed legislation go through and affect citizens etc? Will I be able to have nice guns in the future?

Mainly, what do you think would be smart to buy asap? Thanks

I don't think shotguns will be banned. if so, semi-auto's only. Nor do i think .22's will be sought after in the ban (havent seen either of these in any of the gun legislation announced, with exception with the saiga-12 12ga with a detachable magazine). It looks like they're limiting round count to 10 so a garand would be safe. my reccomendation would be to get what they're going after now. an AR or an AK. If you can only pick one, well... theres a whole can of worms in itself...

Sir_Vive,

As usual, I'm a bit of a contrarian. A lot depends on where you are and the purpose you see for the firearms. If you can own a shotgun now, I would recommend you get one. Mossberg makes a really good 12 Ga pump that has interchangeable barrels (long for hunting, short for defense). The longer, rifled barrel shooting sabot rounds is accurate out to around 200 yards so it is, in effect, a .68 caliber, short range rifle. Not bad at all.

I always approve of a .22 as perhaps the single most flexible firearm in the arsenal. While I wouldn't want it to be my ONLY weapons, it certainly belongs in every arsenal, makes a really good first rifle and I would take it as a survival weapon anytime. Learn to handle a rifle cheaper than any other rifle out there, solid for anything dog size or smaller (except wild pig - those are TOUGH critters) and all around decent, even for self defense, firearm.

The recommendation for an air rifle is not bad if you can't have anything else right now. It is a good survival tool for when you need to be silent, good varmint gun, and excellent training rifle. I own my old Benjamin .22 pump and love it.

For a new gun owner, I recommend revolvers over pistols. The manual of arms is simpler, the use is more intuitive and unless you are in an extended gun fight, you really don't need 15 rounds. I recommend a .357 Mag for a first gun. It can shoot both .38 and .357 (cheaper practice and flexible ammo) and is large enough to handle anything but large bears in terms of tall and uncut problems. If it fits the cylinder, the gun can shoot it which can not be said for pistols.

For a rifle, what do the deer hunters in your area use? I like lever guns and a .30-30 has probably put more meat on the table than any other rifle, even today. It places like north Texas, the ability to shoot 1000 yards is a waste. The big thicket country is up close; 50 yards is LONG range. A lever gun in your pistol caliber is also a decent choice. I like .45 Colt since it will do the job out to 150 yards easily and is one round for both my Single Action Army revolver and the lever gun.

If you are looking for a combat semi-auto, I would stay away from the AR platform. I have never hidden the fact I don't like it but for political reasons it is also a bad choice. It looks BAD; it is an evil assault rifle and it is very expensive. I also think the 5.56 round is too light for the job but if you go that way, go 5.56 NOT .223! You can shoot a .223 in a 5.56 chamber but it is dangerous to shoot a 5.56 in a .223 chambered gun. It will fit and it will fire but it will also overpressure the gun. Since I can't tell the rounds apart just by looking, I would want the 5.56 just in case I made a mistake.

I'm a .30 caliber/7.62 bigot but there are some really nice 7mm/.270 mag rounds out there. Choose what fits your needs.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I recently bought an old Chinese SKS for $300 at a pawn shop I frequent. It shoots straight and is powerful enough to bring down a deer or a hog out to 250-300 yards. The bonus of having this rifle is that 20 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo is only $5.17 per box and it's also about the only ammo left on the shelves at my local WallyWorld. They do have some 30-30 and 30.06 so Capt. Bart would be happy too! It pays to know your gun shop guys too. This gun was marked to sell at $475.00 but he gave it to me for $300 cash, out the door..

I recently bought an old Chinese SKS for $300 at a pawn shop I frequent. It shoots straight and is powerful enough to bring down a deer or a hog out to 250-300 yards. The bonus of having this rifle is that 20 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo is only $5.17 per box and it's also about the only ammo left on the shelves at my local WallyWorld. They do have some 30-30 and 30.06 so Capt. Bart would be happy too! It pays to know your gun shop guys too. This gun was marked to sell at $475.00 but he gave it to me for $300 cash, out the door..

Not trying to be a smart azz or anything of that sort, theirs a store in Mississauga,Ontario,Canada, Called Le Barons, they have over 60 pcs of Chinese or Russian SKS up for sale brand new or could be referbish, comes with bannet & cleaning kit as well, all for $180 Cdn $ plus tax. From what i understand they do ship to the states.

1. Ordering Instructions

When placing a Mail Order, please complete the following information; name, complete address, phone number, email, page number, code number, description of item

(size and colour if applicable), quantity. Although we do our best to ship orders complete, there may be items not shipped because they are temporarily out of stock or not

available. Please note, we do not keep backorders. We may contact you to recommend a substitution. Remember to include your Le Baron Club Membership number

and expiry date to benefit from available discounts. If you would like to join, kindly refer to Le Baron Club membership details on page 248.

Please note that minimum orders are $35.00 within Canada, and $100.00 outside of Canada.

2. Pricing

Prices are in Canadian Dollars and do not include taxes, shipping or handling. U.S. and International orders may be subject to duties, taxes, and brokerage fees to

be paid by the recipient upon delivery. All prices, descriptions and quantities are subject to change without notice.

Please consult our web site for the most current pricing.

3. Taxes

Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Prince Edward Island, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon. . . . . . . . . 5% GST

British Columbia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12% HST

Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13% HST

Nova Scotia. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15% SHT

Quebec. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5% GST plus 9.5% QST

4. Payment

Payments can be made by Visa or MasterCard, certified cheque, money order or bank draft. If paying by Visa or Mastercard, your address and credit card billing address

must match and will be verified. If paying by C.O.D., we require a 25% deposit in order to process the order, and the balance owing will incur a C.O.D. fee. (refer to postal

chart on page 248). C.O.D.’s are not accepted for orders outside of Canada.

5. Shipping and Delivery

All orders less than 30 kg are shipped by Expedited Parcel Post. If you have a preferred method of transport, please indicate. Orders over 30 kg., will be shipped by the

most economical transport. Firearms will be shipped via Canada Post, and to Canadian residents only (refer to our postal chart on page 248).

Ammunition and related products will be shipped via licensed carrier, and to Canadian residents only.

6. Firearms and Ammunition Ordering

To purchase a firearm, you must provide a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (P.A.L.) number, along with your birth-date, place of birth, and permit holder’s

address. To purchase ammunition you must provide a valid P.A.L. or a Possession Ownership Licence (P.O.L.). Please note that these products can only be shipped to

the permit holder’s address. Firearms and hazardous materials cannot be shipped outside of Canada.

7. Gift Certificates

Le Baron Gift Certificates are sent via registered mail, and carry an insured courier charge of $10.00. (available within Canada Only)

8. Returns and Exchanges

Please take note of the following restrictions:

Merchandise will be accepted for exchange or refund within 15 days of the purchase date. All products must be returned prepaid in their original, unused condition,

with all corresponding literature, manuals and packaging intact. Mail order returns will only be accepted with a valid return authorization number, which can be obtained

by contacting the mail order department. Parcels returned without authorization are subject to a 10% handling charge. Sorry, our retail stores cannot accept returns

made through our mail order division. No returns or exchanges will be accepted on firearms, ammunition, optics, components, GPS, software, undergarments,

mouthpieces (game calls, whistles, hydration units, diving equipment), or fuel, and other exceptions.

Shipping and handling fees are not refundable, except in an instance where we have made a shipping error. Merchandise is guaranteed against defects by the

manufacturer. Kindly contact our customer service agents for applicable warranty information.

TELEPHONE (toll-free):

1-800-567-3377

(Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm EST)

FAX: 514-381-2822

PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE PLACING AN ORDER

Mail Orders can be placed by:

MAIL:

8601 St-Laurent Blvd,

Montreal, Quebec, H2P 2M9

E-MAIL: info@lebaron.ca

Contact Mail Order CUSTOMER SERVICE

For inquiries about your order please contact us by

TELEPHONE: 1-800-567-3377 — Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm EST

E-MAIL: info@lebaron.ca

That's a great price, but I won't buy a 33 year old rifle that I can't hold in my hand first and look at up close. They stopped making them in 1980 and God knows what's been happening to them as they travel around the world?

Shoots straight and a lot cheaper than any other SKS I've seen around here lately.

That's a great price, but I won't buy a 33 year old rifle that I can't hold in my hand first and look at up close.

I agree with your thoughts, i'm a touchy, feely, fondle type a guy when it comes to any firearm i'm planning on buying. But at a price point, i'd take my chances on a firearm if the cost was 1/2 price or less. I would also ask for pictures of the firearm they plan on sending me, just to make sure it's not a bait & switch type of deal.

# 6 reads:

"To purchase a firearm, you must provide a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (P.A.L.) number, along with your birth-date, place of birth, and permit holder’s

address. To purchase ammunition you must provide a valid P.A.L. or a Possession Ownership Licence (P.O.L.). Please note that these products can only be shipped to

the permit holder’s address. Firearms and hazardous materials cannot be shipped outside of Canada."

I also have no idea what PALs or POLs are. The US doesn't have an equivalent to that. So its great that you can get them for that price up here, but they are upwards of $500 in the States, and bringing them across international borders is a big deal.

I agree with those who chimed in about getting a shotgun first. I would choose either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. A good, reliable pump action shotgun will serve you very well in a variety of roles and won't hurt your wallet. I would purchase a handgun next (when you turn 21). I prefer semi-automatics in either 9mm or .40 S&W, and having the .22 conversion barrel is a very good idea. A handgun is designed to be a self-defense weapon, and I have yet to go on a single armed robbery call or home invasion call where there were less than 3 aggressors. I'm not taking my chances with 6 rounds.

Sir_Vive, what state are you in?