Sign in to follow this  
juzcallmesnake

22 long rifle & 22 magnot availible in most stores

recent events have overshadowed a simple fact that there just ain't none rim fire shotgun rifle in some calibers

and components powder brass primers even certain molds and reloading equipment.

so try to find it if you need it I think some of these companies may not be in business long as new taxes

insurance and other pressures may cause them to rethink staying in business.

My local Walmart here in Virginia plus the one back home in Bama both say the warehouses are completely out and neither know when there will be more inventory.

Same here 30 miles east of Dallas Tx......................no ammo either

I've looked everywhere here in central KY and am unable to find anything other than shotgun ammo. I'm trying to find 22 LR and 9mm ammo (any manufacturer) and there is nothing available. I'm getting concerned that something really big is brewing.

Just got a call from a friend at wally world..

Ammo in ....sometimes you need to work your "Net working abilitys"and have a sourse!

bought 9mm.10.37

.45=15.57

7.62x39=5.19

3 box limit...Get what you can when you can...and yes they were tulammo..I dont mind cleaning..I do mind being out!

:P that is why I have STOCK my S.O. used t ask why I bought every paycheck a box of something sometimes more

my answer today is like 20 years ago because someday it might not be around NOW she gets it, of course she though I was crazy

for 19 years well she still thinks I am crazy but for different reasons now, she still can't get over me liking liverwurst and onion

and Gunniss stout.

I'm pretty good on everything except .22. I am on several notifications for when CCI 5K bricks are available. Trouble is I spend a huge amount of time at the range and go through ammo like a baby goes through diapers. My 10/22 is dying of hunger.

Here is a cool link I found to see who has what in stock online, might have been here so apologies if it's a repost.

http://gunbot.net

Still hasn't been available in my area but I still haven't run out. Been putting 30 rounds through the 22LR kit on the new Sig every 2nd or 3rd evening when I get a few minutes before dark. I shoot the spinner target in the yard at various distances from various positions out to 30yds. It's been a few years since I put any serious time in shooting semi-auto pistols with their heavier triggers instead of the revolvers I love. It's spinning more often now, but not enough yet.

What about buying a gun to fit the available ammo?

My Walmarts seem to have plenty of 22-250, 243, 270 and 30.06.

They also have rifles to fit these calibers.

I have not decided which caliber yet....

WildThing

I see 30-06 that is a fine caliber it has numerous bullet weights for it it can also shoot accelerators

it is the parent case for 45 auto as well as all the calibers listed above I do not know where you live

but this caliber has taken all north American game and is viable to over 1,000 yards given the shooter

many look for a NEW rifle I would look for a Czech or German 98 Mauser converted to 30-06 with good iron sights

next but not at all comparative would be an 03A3 or a 1917 Enfield.

308 as well as most 30 cal ammo can be dismantled and components used to make your brass go bang

{danger Will Robinson know your stuff}

you need to have a good knowledge of military rounds and reloading but it can be done

A Mauser is rated 100% safety factor no other rifle can boast that any model made until 1943 if it has stamped parts

and your serial number shows it is 1943 or higher pass on it as they used slave labor and they tried to sabotage everything

they could to slow down the Nazi's so it is hit and miss on the quality.

I have had at least 1 Mauser in my collection since I was a kid and never was let down by one from my perspective they

are head and shoulders better than any other bolt rifle EVER made IMHO.

All these gun writers get off touting some new garbage that will not hold a candle to the 98 but I understand that time moves

on and companies have to survive but when my face is behind the bolt it is going to be a Mauser in a heavy caliber

I have owed a couple in 458 winchester and fired a few thousand rounds never a blip

Sometimes, older IS still better.

I pick up .22 LR and .22 magnum whenever and wherever I am, even on short road trips for work. Over the years have been able to get a satisfying amount into storage.

Here in northern Utah, it IS still available, you just have to be willing to work the retailers pretty regularly to pick it up when it is stocked. Prices are still somewhat normal, 9mm is very available here albeit at inflated prices, due to market demand.

I can imagine calibers that are formed off of the parent cartridges of 308/ 30-06 and 223 will become available

a lot of folks do not realize that over half of the calibers on the shelf start from a form die that makes either of these

223 cases can be cut and used in a 9mm 30-06 can be cut and reamed to be 45 ACP reformed to 308

in fact the list of cartridges that can be made from these 2 cases are too long to list and they were not the original

but make antiquated cartridges they evolved from.

Form dies are expensive and all the NEW calibers are from ammo makers to bolster sales they so not do better than an already

existing cartridge nor fill a gap that an antique cartridge did not do already all they have to do is change the shoulder angle

the length like the 300 black out all it is a a modified 300 or 30 TCU it has been a long time but I think that is it.

if you get a copy of the reloaders manual of cartridge conversions you find there is little NEW in the cartridge world

some survived double based powder some did not Lyman is the only manual that kept the cast bullet information

for rifle but alas they are not testing new powders for use in cast bullets reloading this is like letting part of history die.

and not forwarding new powder technology to an older medium cast bullets.

another reason to get the manual listed above it has a basic load for each caliber and pure lynotype {printers lead}

cast bullets can be driven at close to jacketed velocities with gas checks and a good lube like XLOX you can find it

on flebay it is way cheaper than alox but is from the same source.

I know this is jumping off topic but it is a topic that needs some exposure as if certain restrictions kick in then

loading your own may be your only option.

As rimfire ammo comes in people need to stock up a case is not out of line not a brick a CASE.

buy the good stuff as many have seen prices are high for quality manufacturers products and prices are mediocre

for poor or unknown types and match ammo is standard velocity barley the requirement to take small game efficiently.

high velocity is better tech and hyper velocity needs to be tested in your arm to assure accuracy and function some

spray them and no way to tell without a range session, some have even blown extractors I would have a coupe of spares with

spring and pin to reinstall if the occasion arises keep them in the butt of the rifle if you have a pistol you need to put them

in the belt/ holster/ pouch so they do not become separated from the weapon.

even if something breaks the other components can be used as spares or a pattern to make a part our throw away culture

needs to be reaccessed as I think we may be moving into a restrictive environment I called for a part for a lever rifle

to the manufacturer only to be told it was a restricted part???? for a F___kin lever gun??? its coming I have seen it before

but not to this extent.

same here I am not certain but I felt that .308 cal and .224 would snap back faster than others as they are military contract

so bullets and brass would fill in quicker than specialty calibers it still may take quite a while to see a full shelf IF things

stay the same and as far as I can see some of our people are playing patty fingers with the UN on that treaty thing so

who knows.