Sign in to follow this  
Lemonmint

Backpack for the kids...

I put together bags for the kids: 10y boy, 12y girl & 16y girl. The backpacks I used are simple school packs. Suggestions on what is missing or could be deleted. My kids are tall and very slender so weight is an issue. I don't want to over-pack them. This weighs around 10 lbs.

Emergency whistle

Gerber Mini Paraframe Fine Edge Knife

1 headlamp

1 flashlight

1 neon orange safety vest

Toiletries: deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss (all mini size)

4 hair elastics (girls)

1 travel Kleenex pack

2 anti-bac wipes packets

1 hand sanitizer bottle (mini size)

1 notepad, pen, pencil & sharpie

1 eating utensil

1 M&M tube with quarters & bills

1 p-38 can opener

1 mylar emergency blanket

2 gallon, 2 quart Ziploc bags

1 white garbage bag

2 pr hand warmers

Food:& Water in backpack:

Water: 3 bottles of water (16.9 fl/oz. each) , empty metal water bottle in outside pocket (soon to be Just Water bugout bottles)

Food: 3 granola bars, 5 Slim Jims, 10 pcs hard candy, 3 propel water beverage mix

Clothing in backpack: sweatpants, sweatshirt, hat, gloves, scarf, 2 pr. Socks, 2 pr. Underwear, emergency rain poncho.

First Aid Kit in backpack (I added stuff to the original container):

2 pr. Nitril gloves

4 single use Neosporin packets

1 mini scissors

2 nail files

1 nail clippers

1 tweezers

5 large, 5 medium 10 small band-aids

1 chapstick

10 2x2 gauze pads

6 alcohol swab packets

3 hand cleansing wipes

4 moleskin patches

Extra cotton balls so nothing rattles in the first aid box

Fire Box (in a watertight case) in backpack:

2 Bic lighters

24 strike anywhere matches tip dipped in wax

1 magnesium fire starter

Vaseline coated cotton balls

Agree with Wally on the water filter and add some purification pills. Maybe a signal mirror for longer distance signaling. You may even think about adding a pencil flare to the older kid's packs but you must decide on their maturity for those items.

Really great start. Is this a pack to get them home or is this the set up if you must vacate your area?

I'd add pepper spray to the bags of any of the kids you deem mature enough, or have it available to hand out once the emergency hit. Also the emergency bivy sacks are much warmer than the blankets, not as many places for heat to escape. I like the SOL Escape breathable version.

Good idea and good list.

Children who needs em'

Are we there yet, Are we there yet... no opsec on that little trek A blind man would be able to follow you dragging

his dead dog on a leash.

lol.....we can still give them the "look" and they shut up pretty quick :P