Sign in to follow this  
awake

So what's in your fire staring kit ?

Make your own waterproof matches and save money. Melt down some candle wax, paraffin or bee's wax in a double boiler. Get some strike anywhere matches and dip the heads and about 1/4 of the stick in the melted wax. This not only water proofs them but also does a good job of wind proofing them.

Also get a zippo lighter with no fuel in it. Take out the wick. Buy some extra flints and stash them in with the cotton that holds the fuel. Great for making sparks to start tinder.

Edited by corwin46

I have a ferro rod, a magnesium stick with a steel stricker, about 2 ounes of magnesium powder in a water proof vial. The goo from a sterno heater, vaseline covered cotton balls, a few bic lighters, 2 zippos, and willy pete matches. I love those damn things, lit a cig in a snow storm, the cig didnt stay burning for long but hey I got three drags which was enough.

I think people have forgotten contact cement or airplane glue {the flamable kind} i have used it like fire paste.

steel wool rusty wool burns well

magnifier fresnel bilfold type plastic flat

magnifier glass on a neck cord about the size of a half dollar

I have a metal match used them years ago as cigarette lighters

http://budk.com/Gifts-and-Gadgets/Permanent-Match-Lighter

bic lighters

flint and steel

dryer lint in a medicine bottle

magnesium fire starter

ferocium rod

cans of lighter fluid

9 volt batteries

chemicals

have a striker for a lantern

a striker for a welding / propane torch

gelled alcohol

box matches blue tip

white and red tip

paper matches

emergency wet or dry matches

road flares

if I think about it I have others but basically most of us have more than we think when it comes to fire starting

at our home.

I have different ones in different BOBS or around the house but some of these are dual / multiple use

if I need fire I can have in without a bow drill to me thast is the last ditch hail marry I am butt naked

effort.

in bob-

Gerber fire starter

9v battery

waterproof matches in waterproof container

bic lighter

small (like 6x2'') duraflame fire log

magnesium shavings in waterproof container

in day pack

bic lighter

waterproof matches in waterproof container

magnesium shavings in waterproof container

still in the process of really building up my bags

I also carry, 22 shells for gun powder,Bic lighter, glass for magnifier, be it eye glasses, camera, scope, pine pitch, the bottom of a coke can for making an ice magnifier. This is hard, but came with the Winter Survival classes in Alaska training.Last but not approved, C-4 out of a brick or Claymore.

Good info awake, RR

I also carry, 22 shells for gun powder,Bic lighter, glass for magnifier, be it eye glasses, camera, scope, pine pitch, the bottom of a coke can for making an ice magnifier. This is hard, but came with the Winter Survival classes in Alaska training.Last but not approved, C-4 out of a brick or Claymore.

Good info awake, RR

Hey no problem. i have learned a bit from this thread as well. The pencil sharpener is great to make a twig into tinder. Learned that from a backpacking buddy. I am thinking i might add the .22 shells. I have added about three Bic lighters to each of my kits. Working some char cloth into my kits as well. As for the last item on your list i will take a pass.

hope to hears some more good ideas.

In my fire kit I carry:

pill bottle of vaseline cotton balls

4 wetfire cubes and a little screw-top container to save partial ones

pencil sharpener (thanks guys great idea, works slick)

1 big firesteel & striker, plus a small one duck taped to the pill bottle

mini BIC lighter

5hr energy bottle of Coglan's fire paste - dipping tinder twigs in it can save a sputtering fire while getting it going.

2ft of aluminum foil folded down. - it can help reflect heat for a while and keep the fire off the wet ground if needed. It also helps build coals faster on sand or other soil that absorbs heat. Also multi-purpose for lots of other things if not needed for fire.

Plus I always have a knife or multi-tool that will work for striking and another small firesteel & mini BIC in my pockets.

i keep a ziploc bag full of dryer lint, flint steel and striker, zippo, regular cheapo lighters in a sealed bag, strike anywhere matches, and 9 volt battery and steel wool as back up. ohi will attest to the dryer lint and flint steel, that stuff lights up fast with it.

Great ideas circulating here, and I'm planning on making a few adjustments to my kit.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned here is "fat wood." This is probably classified more as kindling and not fire starter but I think it's worth mentioning. I have a bunch of kindling splinters that are about 5.5" long. I dipped them in bacon grease then set them in my oven on low for about 20 minutes so that they would soak up the fat.

This is something I keep in my BOB in a No. 2 cylinder can with a pet food cover to seal the top. This is just in case dry kindling is hard to find and this stuff burns hot.

something that works great and i don't think it's been mentioned so far is pine tree roots, just dig some up clean it and let it dry out. you have to hold your lighter,matches,etc. to it for a few seconds but it burns forever! it's what my dad and me used to start our fires in our wood burning stove. it works great and a little goes a long away!

multiple bics

Waterproof matchs and container (several boxes, what isnt in the container is in a ziploc)

mulitple magnesium+striker

multiple ferro+striker

Cottonballs w/Vaseline

hand sanitizer

---thx to Warrior... im adding Steel wool shortly

something that works great and i don't think it's been mentioned so far is pine tree roots, just dig some up clean it and let it dry out. you have to hold your lighter,matches,etc. to it for a few seconds but it burns forever! it's what my dad and me used to start our fires in our wood burning stove. it works great and a little goes a long away!

Nice tip, thanks. Now I just need to find the trees/roots.

jumbo we used pine knots use a pocket knife and shave a sliver off and put it in a zippo lighter {if out of fluid and run against your jeans}

blow on the ember and it would flare up or use a magnifying glass and it works better than anything else as tinder using a flint rock and steel.

your right snake, the pine knots do work best, if i remember right once lit it spits and sputters and kind of pops and cracks a bit. it's been a loooong time since my dad and me made any fires in the old stove. that is probably what he was using. see, i'm learning already! you folks are making me think about things that i've already forgotten about! thanks snake!

Thinking out of the box ..... I came across the idea of using snacks such as Doritoes as tinder. I haven't tried it yet but the idea would seem to hold some merit. The chips are dry and often "oily" so they should work. Anyone ever tried this?

Ok I was remembering today something from my youth, the "wet match" or permanent match, I have looked in the past for these and only found a few that we're really cheap, I bought 4 from budk and three broke the first time I used them two on the first strike. They were not the same design I remembered they had a cottonish wick in a small tube with a small steel in tube that stuck out that you ran down a flint mounted on the side of the small flask that house it. The ones that I remember from when I was younger were more like a match in appearance with a porous head that stuck on the bottom of the container they were housed in and the container looked like a old style perfume sample vail but twice as big ( guess I am dating myself a little, haven't seen one of those sample bottles in many years) does anyone know what I talking about or is this just another age fuel delusion? I would like to have a few of them for our fire kits as I remember that they worked great sometimes to good as I remember that they would sometimes drip flaming lighter fluid.

Thinking out of the box ..... I came across the idea of using snacks such as Doritoes as tinder. I haven't tried it yet but the idea would seem to hold some merit. The chips are dry and often "oily" so they should work. Anyone ever tried this?
i seen this on youtube and it works...gonna have to find the link...

It isn't the chip so much as the oil in the chip that does the job. Old dead, rancid Frito chips burn quite nicely. I saw it on a "Surviverman" episode and had to try it out. It worked beautifully. Haven't tried Doritoes but should be the same principal unless the coating messes it up.

mag blocks (you want to learn how to do this first so you don't waste time) and waterproof containers for matches with matches. 9 volt Battery and steel wool

Thanks for the other ideas, it's enhancing my kit from your suggestions.

www.watersurvivalsolutions.com

t,

yep, I surprised the heck out of me how hard it was to use a mag block the first time I tried. Good system but practice a bit first.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1755[/ATTACH] This is my fire kit I carry with me all the time when backpacking.

Starting top left

Piece of leather

Charcloth

Flint

Flint Striker

Middle row

Bic lighter

Jute twine

Cotton cord

Ball of bamboo shavings

Two pieces of tinder fungus

Three pieces of punk wood

Some fatwood

Toy caps and clip to activate caps

Pine pitch

Last row

fresnel lens

Tin for holding my fire prep.

The reason I don't show a firesteel is because i carry it with my edc in my leatherman wave sheath

I have used left over sparklers from the fourth of July with great success, since they no longer have the metal wire in them they burn flush at the tip and they last a minute plus even with the cheap ones, just stick them in your tinder pile withe the end sticking out an inch and light, then get the hotdogs ready because if you have your pile anywhere close to good it WILL light, or hold it and " poke" around your tinder and kindling to get a good light and then snip the end off on top of pile to get more than one use out of the sparkler, I have several sparklers cut into about two inch pieces in my tender kit with dryer lint and dry cedar saw dust and because I use a zippo I also have lighter fluid too if things are really bad. But I find that a piece of sparkler rolled in dryer lint and saw dust will get you going pretty good.