Sign in to follow this  
Lemonmint

Updated EDC and GHB

Thanks to input from this board and tons of reading I have my EDC and GHB ready, but feel free to make suggestions. Let me know what items you would upgrade and what priority it would be.

EDC (in a little 6x7 cross body purse goes with me everywhere, even the restroom):

Leatherman style PS

Emergency whistle

Gerber Mini Paraframe Fine Edge Knife

Flashlight

Nail clippers

Bic lighter

p-38 can opener

mini altoids tin with altoids and Tylenol

1 hand sanitizer bottle

1 paracord bracelet

1 chapstick

10 band-aids & alcohol wipes

Id & cash

My second attempt at a bag. It weighs about 25 lbs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1826[/ATTACH]

GHB List (this bag is in case I’m stuck on the freeway on my way home. I work @ 35 miles from home). I keep the backpack under my desk since I don’t want my car to get broken in to, an occurrence that happens here especially around the holidays). I'm not crazy about possibly having to lug around 25 lbs. on me and will have to reassess what I will keep in bag vs. what I leave in car.

In my backpack. Everything is in various ziploc bags so I don't have to search for stuff. (bottles are all mini or travel size and):

1 Smith & Wesson CK108 24-7 Folder Knife, Grey

1 headlamp

1 flashlight

1 neon orange safety vest

Toiletries: deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss (all mini size)

4 hair elastics

1 thermometer

1 wrist wrap

1 knee wrap

1 travel Kleenex pack

2 anti-bac wipes packets

1 hand sanitizer bottle (travel size)

1 mini sunscreen

1 aloe vera gel bottle

Off insect repellant

1 Coleman water purification tablet

1 notepad, pen, pencil & sharpie

1 no name multi tool

1 eating utensil

1 carabineer

1 M&M tube with quarters & bills

Feminine stuff

1 no name compass

1 plastic magnifier w/ light

1 mini binoculars

1 can opener

80 ft. 550 para-cord

1 mylar emergency blanket

2 gallon, 2 quart Ziploc bags

1 white garbage bag

2 pr hand warmers

Food:& Water in backpack:

Water: 4 bottles of water (16.9 fl/oz. each) , empty metal water bottle in outside pocket.

Food: 3 granola bars, 5 Slim Jims, 10 pcs hard candy, 3 propel water beverage mix, 3 single cup coffee packets

Clothing in backpack: tennis shoes, cargo pants, long sleeved shirt, hat, gloves, scarf, 2 pr. Socks, 2 pr. Underwear, 1 thin thermal set, emergency rain poncho. Switched out to lightweight pants and lightweight long sleeve shirt for summer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1827[/ATTACH]First Aid Kit in backpack (I added stuff to the original container):

2 pr. Nitril gloves

4 single use Neosporin packets

1 mini scissors

2 nail files

1 nail clippers

1 tweezers

5 large, 5 medium 10 small band-aids

1 Bic mini lighter

4 threaded needles

1 chapstick

1 Visine eye drops

10 2x2 gauze pads

4 day time sinus caplets

6 gas relief caplets

6 benadryl caplets

4 anti-diarrheal caplets

3 laxative caplets

6 alcohol swab packets

3 hand cleansing wipes

4 moleskin patches

Extra cotton balls so nothing rattles in the first aid box

Fire Box (in a watertight case) in backpack:

2 Bic lighters

24 strike anywhere matches tip dipped in wax

1 magnesium fire starter

Vaseline coated cotton balls

In car in a 5 gallon bucket with lid:

1 roll TP

2 road flares

1 5x7 tarp

1 pr. leather work gloves

1 roll duct tape

3 pack dust masks

Umbrella

Baby wipes

packable down jacket

In glove compartment:

Flashlight

1 Humvee HMV-KC-ER1 Black Emergency Rescue Knife

Maps of local areas

sunglasses

Looks like you are pretty squared away, I merely want to suggest the following; disposable ear plugs, a small mirror might be useful, jogging type gloves to keep warm, and maybe try switching out the 16ounce bottles of water for 1liter bottle(s) could save room. I cant believe no one else has offered suggestions.

I'm getting the Bugout Water Bottle good for 200 bottle refills. Should I still get the aquamire water straw?

specs on the bottle:

specs

99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)

99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)

95% Chlorine and Chloramines

99% Taste

99% Odor

98% Aluminum

96% Iron

98% Lead

90% Pesticides

85% Herbicides

85% Insecticides

90% Rodenticides

85% Phenols

85% MTBE

85% Perchlorate

80% Trihalomethanes

95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons

99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron, including Anthrax (Staffordshire University Labs)

99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)

98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)

100% Giardia Lamblia

100% Cyclospora

100% live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)

100% Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)

100% E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)

99.999% Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42

National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53

ISO 9002 Quality Standard

USA AEL Laboratories

USA Analytical Food Laboratories

USA Johns Hopkins University

British 5750 Quality Standard

England’s Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards

Oh I just thought about a small thing of pepper spray to defend against overly aggressive people or dogs. Look into the key chain models, I personally like Sabre brand pepper spray they makes some nicely priced ones that can be had for anywhere from $9-$13 dollars and its perfectly legal to carry in the state of California.

You could potentially lose the safety vest, thermometer, aloe vera, the magnifier with light and the Ziploc bags. This might lighten the load some. Do you have room to carry the maps in your bag should you have to go on foot? The pack seems very well thought out and quite thorough.

Out of curiosity, do you have an aversion to firearms, do you work somewhere its not legal to carry them, or is a firearm not a priority for you?

Out of curiosity, do you have an aversion to firearms, do you work somewhere its not legal to carry them, or is a firearm not a priority for you?

No aversion to firearms:D. Don't have a CCW...and the budget doesn't allow for me to have my own firearm.

You can get a Bersa, Taurus revolver, Smith & Wesson revolver and a Ruger (LCP) all for under $300. Most KelTecs, if you can find them, will be under the $300 mark also. How long would it take you to budget for one of those?

Partsman, just out of curiosity, have you ever tried using a flare gun up close? I'd be worried about burns and/or eye injuries to the user if you did have to discharge it. Still not a bad idea though.

Major Krisis ... I have not personally used one for that purpose as I pack a 38 most of the time. However if anyone is interested in a very informative video they should check this out http://www.guns.com/2012/12/28/flare-guns-for-self-defense-video/ I only recommend a flare gun for those situations where you would be limited in what you could have in the area or possess due to age. Training is required regardless of your chosen defensive tool.....even a rock requires a certain skill level to be effective. As Always check with the local police in reference to transporting the tool to and from you "boat/ship/innertube". You might want to have an airhorn and anchor chain lying next to the flare gun...bla bla bla you ever go out officer?

They sell a 12 gauge flare also...I hadn't thought about keeping one of those around, but that's not a bad idea. I'm allowed to carry my Kahr CW9 basically anywhere, and it never leaves my side. The anchor chain and airhorn are a great idea, and then you have the airhorn readily available for office pranks :)