Sign in to follow this  
camdogs88

Gun safe thoughts

So I recently read the book, one second after, and they mention tons of things I never thought of regarding if electronics were destroyed. But one thing I never recall being mentioned was that a lot of people probably have their weapons in gun safes that have electronic locks(I do). So if an EMP did happen, all my weaponry is locked up pretty darn well. Only exception for me is that I keep my Kimber close at just about all times. Any ideas of how to safely stage a carbine or primary weapon and a good selection of ammo without breaking the safety law of leaving no weapon around for unauthorized use? I live with my parents and there are no small children or unauthorized users here.

First off, I thought that most electronic safes had a back up entry method like a hidden key opening? I have seen some like that. This is one reason why I do not buy those kind of safes or vehicles that have only the push buttons to open a door and not a keyhole. This is the way that I look at safes and other types of security boxes. For me I never want to be locked out of it unless it is because of my own stupidity, like forgetting a combination or lost my key. Second of all, if someone wants to get into your safe or security box, they will. This is why you will not see me throwing down thousands of dollars on a fancy safe because if they want in they will get in. For me I like a simple safe with a combination lock, which is slighty better than one with a keyed entry. No I don't want someone to rob me but the primary reason for me having a safe is to keep the firearms around from the kiddies.

I bought an inexpensive gun safe at Academy Sports. It has the key pad with no other entry method.

Bought it just to keep kids away from loaded guns.

On the third day the lock malfunctioned and this was during deer season and I could not get to my rifle. Pissed off. Although the lock was not working quite right I twisted the handle (mine has one that looks like a steering wheel) so hard that the pressure bent the bar inside the safe and I got my rifle.

Once I opened the safe and took the felt off the inside of front door I could see the workings of lock and the bar I bent was not heavy guage metal so I do not think a their would have an issue. A lock smith can change the lock to a standard dial.

I got another safe for free and it has worked perfectly.

Not sure what your gun safety laws require. A good place to store a long gun is over a door frame with 2 utility hooks. Say you have a closet. You can install the hooks inside the closet above the door frame. Out of sight, hard for someone else to locate, yet easy for you to get to. Ammo can be stored in a small safe with a key.

most keypad safes have a key back up. The amount you spend on the safe should be some what proportional to contents of the safe. If your really concerned get renters insurance and make sure it covers firearms.

The one problem I have with hooks or propped up behind the door is if you ever have people over they now know you own guns and where you keep them. It's not that hard to smash a window after you go to work but it's a bit harder if your guns are locked in place. If you don't plan on having people over make sure your wife/girl friend/parents are on the same page. If you must hide guns around your house be creative. No one looks for a shotgun inside your suit coat or inside the hollow space under sofas. Aim for places guest will not have a reason to look. And even though you don't think any one will find you gun in a box of health cereal, they will so still consider a combination trigger lock on anything that will be outside your immediate control. But that's just my thoughts if you have made it to old age your guest probably aren't the steal your guns, shoot you and sell your organs for crack type.

A lockable gun cabinet is also a possibility. Not a safe, of course, but it protects from kiddies and uses a key. I'm interest in the electronic lock. How do you change the batteries in the lock? If it is removable from the front of the safe, storing the electronics in a Faraday cage would protect the mechanism. Only put it on the safe when needed. Another possibility would be to put a cover over the lock that is bonded electrically to the safe. This establishes a Faraday cage for the lock as well. Either should help immensely in the case of EMP. I don't like the electrics for any number of reasons; lightening, EMP, dead batteries, a whole host of things can keep you locked away from your guns.

Had a friend in Virginia came home from a gun show with a new gun. He showed it to his wife then put it in his gunsafe and went to get a shower. When he came back in the bedroom he seen the keypad had been smashed. Evidently he had forgot it was their anniversary. Just another good reason for not having a key pad on your gun safe.

My safe was bought from costco, is about 500 lbs and has fireproof protection to some degree I cannot remember. Only disappointment I had in it was that it ended up being made in China. I really do not like China or their products so to not have that listed bummed me out quite a bit. I would honestly like to have the electronic lock changed to a dial lock instead. The button portion of the safe has a cord attached and it lifts off the safe for battery change but the combo is stored inside the safe. Pretty solid deal for the price. I like the hook above the door concept, not bad, also considered hooks underneath a bed. I am not sure about leaving a rifle that could be my lifeline, in a safe that could be stuck, or outside where it could be stolen. Guess I just need to buy way more guns so they can't possibly all disappear. Haha. But silverwolf55, just another reason to not get married right?

A good way to test compatability is to take your dog and prospective (or current wife/husband) put them both in the trunk of your car an drive around for 3hrs, when u let them out you will see whose still your friend...

A good way to test compatability is to take your dog and prospective (or current wife/husband) put them both in the trunk of your car an drive around for 3hrs, when u let them out you will see whose still your friend...

But I drive a truck, I do not have a trunk! Blasphemy! Haha

You got that right camdog and i drive a truck too. But it has a topper guess i could lock them in it. You could just leave and go fishiing without saying anything. Then show up at 4:00 am and see which one meets u at the dooor with thier tail wagging.

Guys,

be very careful here. If she is already a prepper, your pup may be wagging its tail but she may be aiming her 9mm! My lady shoots better than I do; I am very careful about how mad I make her! A man does what he has to do, of course, but picking a fight with the best shot I know is not high on my list of things to do. Just my not so humble opinion.

The one problem I have with hooks or propped up behind the door is if you ever have people over they now know you own guns and where you keep them. It's not that hard to smash a window after you go to work but it's a bit harder if your guns are locked in place.

i dont have people in my home that i have to worry about like that.