Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

If you were starting over what would your survival guns be?

If you go for a Norinco SKS see if you can find the paratrooper model...uses the standard AK 30 round mags and has the 16" barrel.

The "D" model uses AK mags.

Unless it has been converted, the standard paratrooper will not.

Back to the thread's title...

l've had to start over several times, the last time from nothin'.

lf l had to start over again, knowin' what l know now, this is what my list would be.

1) Bolt action 22- able to digest 22 s,l,lr- Hunting

2) Mossberg 500 12 ga w/ 18.5, 27in, & BP barrel- Hunting/Defense

3) Marlin '94 357/38- Hunting/Defense

4) Rossi Revolver 357/38- Sidearm/Defense

5) Charter Arms Bull Dog 357/38- Back up

6) Mosin Nagant 91/30, M44, or T53 7.62x54R-

Forgot to add a 416 Barrett calibre rifle would be real nice. Not in the card yet. Components would be expencive though, for reloading. I'd take the 416 over the 50 cal BMG anyday.

what are prices of 416 compared to 338 lapua?

Back to the thread's title...

l've had to start over several times, the last time from nothin'.

lf l had to start over again, knowin' what l know now, this is what my list would be.

1) Bolt action 22- able to digest 22 s,l,lr- Hunting

2) Mossberg 500 12 ga w/ 18.5, 27in, & BP barrel- Hunting/Defense

3) Marlin '94 357/38- Hunting/Defense

4) Rossi Revolver 357/38- Sidearm/Defense

5) Charter Arms Bull Dog 357/38- Back up

6) Mosin Nagant 91/30, M44, or T53 7.62x54R-

Bad Day,

I rather like the lever gun/revolver combination for a survival weapon. Depending on what the biggest predator in your area is, the .357/.38 combo is an excellent choice. For bear country I'd prefer the .44 Mag or .45 Colt (modern loads, not cowboy loads). My choice was the .45 combo and I am very pleased with it. I really want (absolutely do NOT need but what has that got to do with anything?) a .454 Casull revolver/lever gun combo. That would be solid ANYWHERE on the planet.

Just my not so humble opinion.

After thinking on this topic, I think one thing I would do overwould be to standardize my weapons better so I had more magazine interchangeability. For example and for educational purposes only, why have to worry about sourcing six different styles of 9mm magazine, when you could have figured out which one you like the best and stick with that one and stock up on them. I know, like trying to figure out which child you like best, but I am just saying...I do like the pistol/rifle combos, too and I think they have a proper place in the battery, especially in the woods.

My guess...magazine standardization would probably be best with a Glock and a Kal-Tek 2000. They both can use the same magazines and both come in 9mm and .40 S&W. Used to be you could get a 32 (?) round mag for the Glock...not sure if that was just 9mm or if they made one for the .40 as well. Personally I don't like Glocks and have never owned one...I prefer an external hammer and have never bought one for that reason.

But that's just my guess.

The "D" model uses AK mags.

Unless it has been converted, the standard paratrooper will not.

Thanks...didn't realize that it was a specific model. One of my friends had one but he never mentioned that it was a model D.

vonBayern, that is a good point about Glock and Kel-Tec I was thinking more along the lines of even more basic, which is instead of buying one of everything (which I haven't, but I know people who do this), if I had it to do over I would standardize into one model for each use. For instance, for .45 ACP, instead of owning one Springfield XD, one Bersa Ultra, one Rock Island, and one P-14, a smarter way to go would be to shop around, shoot a bunch of rentals, and get the one or two models that do the job the best and then get two or more as backups, BOB pistols and such. Using this example, owning two or three Rock Island .45ACPs and one or two Bersa Ultras (by the way, if you can find one, get it for concealed carry.) Even though the Bersa magazines are expense and hard to find, they are worth it and make keeping track easier if you only have to get one or two types of magazines. By the same token, I have found the Rock Island 1911 does not need fancy or expensive magazines to function fine and easily accepts the ten round extended magazines without difficulty. That would be my "do over" assuming I owned such things. I admit nothing.

My guess...magazine standardization would probably be best with a Glock and a Kal-Tek 2000. They both can use the same magazines and both come in 9mm and .40 S&W. Used to be you could get a 32 (?) round mag for the Glock...not sure if that was just 9mm or if they made one for the .40 as well. Personally I don't like Glocks and have never owned one...I prefer an external hammer and have never bought one for that reason.

But that's just my guess.

Great plan, but make mine a Sig 226 and Sub-2000 that takes the same mags. Not my choice for an all around long gun, but perfect for a combo to use in a "roadtrip" bag or for any situation you may need to conceal a long gun while traveling. I like the idea of having one to get me back to my BOL where I have a more specialized selections for different jobs.

The Sig has the external hammer, I'm not a fan of striker fired pistols either. I became much more interested in a Sub-2000 when I saw they had a Sig compatible variation. For an extra $250 the Sig can have a 22LR conversion too for cheaper practice or small game. My 22 kit jammed a lot for the first couple hundred rounds but is running much smoother now. The 9mm has never jammed from day one.

I have the Glock 22 and KelTec Sub 2000 combination. I've only used the Glock factory 22-round .40 cal magazines and the standard 15-round .40 cal magazines with it, and both of those options work great.

I didn't know KelTec made a Sub 2000 that would accept Sig 226 mags, but I appear to be mistaken!

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

I am big believer in older version's of Czechoslovakian weapons, my weapons would be:

sniper rifle CZ 54.....7.62mm (concept of Mosin vzor 1891/30)

assault rifle SA vz.58 .....7.62mm

bolt action smallbore rifle CZ 527.....7.62mm

pistol CZ 75, 75B.....9mm

Any particular reason to choose the CZ models in 7.62x54R over 7.92x57? I'm a big fan of the Mauser cartridge and the VZ-24 is pretty.

Major, no really particular reason, it is just 7.62 Russian is widely available cartridge in Czech along with 7.62/39mm, approved and popular for hunting, not only in Czech, but also in Poland and Finland for many years.

Guns I would have if starting over:

1. I would start by inheriting my dad’s Savage 99 .308 lever action. Can use ammo for small to large game

as needed. This is the rifle I shoot the best and most accurately, and a lot faster than a bolt action.

2. Remington 870 riot/entry shotgun.

3. Ruger 10/22 rifle

4. Ruger .22/.22 magnum single action convertible revolver

5. Ruger .44 magnum 4-inch revolver customized to .454/.45 Colt, or even left .44 magnum

6. .45 acp semi-auto. Either an HK, 1911, Steyer, FN

7. New Savage Model 42 .22 WMR over .410, unless they come up with some even better combinations. A .30-30 over 12 gauge would be great. A great “survival” gun. Serves a lot of purposes.

8. If I had to have a concealable carry gun there are a lot to choose from and I would be happy with many of them.

For deep concealment I just might use my S&W 642, or even something smaller. I would NEVER use a .380. You know what they say, “if you shoot a man with a .380 and he finds out about it he’s going to be pissed.”

Maybe an S&W Governor with lots of shot shells for small game, and heavy .45 Colt for self-defense.

savage makes a 30-30 over 20 gaug

savage makes a 30-30 over 20 gaug

No, they don't make a 30-30 over 20 gauge.:mad: That would be better, but they used to make a .30-30 over 12 gauge many years ago. That is the ideal survival gun, unless I could have a .308 or .30-06 over 12, which I don't think they ever made.

Here goes:

M-1 in 30-06

Mossberg 12 pump extended tube (7+1) 20" barrel ARI collapsible stock w/pistol grip

Glock in .40 S&W minimum 4", night sights.

KelTec sub 2000 in .40

Ruger 10/22 w/ 4x scope, lots of mags for it.

Taurus judge w/ 4" barrel (can shot .410 and .45!)

That is the start over wish list.

Ben228 your money your call but I am bored so I am playing devils advocate.

not any reflection on your choices they are good EXCEPT the Judge I hate that big ugly POS if I am going to carry a boat anchor

even the ammo is BIG and HEAVY the long throat does not improve accuracy or range for the 45 and a 45 can be loaded with buck shot for a

multiple munition in fact they sell them using stubby wad cutter or buck with a roll crimp and you can get shot cups and make or buy shot rounds

the 410 is a expensive round cost as much as 12 gauge and NOT common most people that own a 410 do not have more than a box of shells

so in a TEOTWAWKI scenario NOPE do not see it.when even 9mm the most made round other than 223 is hard ot find at times 45LC and 410

will be like chickens teeth.

A 22 LR W/ magnum cylinder North American Arms black widow is way better it is very concealable has 5 shots stainless steel if you stick to the 40 S&W

or whatever you have a large pistol I would opt for a hide out never know when things will get dicey up close and personal it would not be comfy to tote

2 horse pistols and weight is always a factor not to mention 2 totally different calibers both heavy.

sig and browning and colt have conversions to other calibers like 22 LR so I would not corner myself glock has a 22 conversion for which I don't know but I would

consider it no matter the caliber it is offered as the conversion makes it SWEET for a survival / shooter.

as far as 30-06 a great caliber BUT it is not a NATO caliber so in time it would be hard to find only military calibers are found in countries that

restrict people to have arms but a barrel change and a block and you can convert a Garrand to a 308 and only loose 150 to 200 feet per second

not enough to say grace over.

although not a NATO caliber a 5.7 FN is a one shot stopper has excellent range over 40 cal and the pistol can hold 30 rounds fit in a holster

and out do 40 by a long shot literally

As for NOW I would get a Savage rifle in 308 Winchester price is the factor over run ammo is available and so is brass

primers are another thing but one day maybe???

a Remington 870 12 gauge I like steel not aluminum and a laminated stock more weight but helps with recoil but a mossberg is a good shotgun.

if you want a extension use a factory metal Remington one nothing else in a combat situation all other can fail

and you need a quality tube / sling adapter to keep it solid.

as far as pistol a Browning Hi Power colt, Sig older Smith & Wessons steel frame even Star made a good one

9MM not because I like 9mm it is what it is a nato available caliber for defense I like steel pistols I can't weld plastic

or repair it so nothing I own would be plastic it just does not make sense to me and there are specialty bullets for defense that make 9MM

better than a sharp stick but not as good as a .45 but we live in the NOW if you had all your ducks in a row before all this fine a 45 is great

40 is good but it is not a military round and should there be any problem my thoughts consider it will be stopped and limited to popo only

If your starting now game has changed it may be permanent I don't know any more than anyone else.

keep with NATO calibers not because of any reason than they will be around black market or on the shelf

If I were to get anything else it would be 22 Long Rifle probably a Ruger Single six with the 22 mag convertible cylinder

this is for camp meat or meat getter 22 mag will kill hogs deer etc. without a lot of meat damage {head shots}

A long barrel 7.5 inch as all these other calibers are hell on small game or very loud when you may not need all that noise.

and could use powderless shells shorts CB's etc.as it does not take much to take out a squirrel or rabbit.

love the 10/22 but with ammo so high it would have to be a package deal ammo and rifle BX25 mags are not available and that is what makes it

useful any semi with less than a 20 round mag is not as desirable for wandering around a 10 round that does not hold on to every vine is

great another reason I do not care for pistol grip anything they are ok.I don't have to have one.but that is personal preference.

and 308 cut down can be used to make 45ACP with a bit of neck reaming so any screwed up brass could be used

when it comes down to it all a person needs is one whatever as long as they can hit with it.a personal armory and no talent

makes for a great present for whoever finds it after someone tags the non shooter.

Snake: good points all.

I don't like the 9 mm at all. If you want my reasons go talk to Gabby Gifford. As for the Mossberg, had mine for over 30 years and its an extention of my arm. Have factory tube extention under the 20" factory barrel. The only reason I went Glock was KelTec doesn't make a sub 2000 that takes XD mags. Carry/love my XD .40. As for the M1 in 30-06, like the gun, it was good enough to put paid to Hitler and Tojo good enough for me. NATO rounds were in short supply but I could always get a couple boxes of 30-06. As for the Tarus, I like the concept and here in the PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) it is banned, so it is a "forbidden fruit" kind of thing.