Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

If you were starting over what would your survival guns be?

I guess I would have to go with the following. As the list goes, they get less important to my needs.

1 .22LR Rifle (either a 10/22 or any of the marlin tube fed variants)

2 9mm Pistol (I like the Smith M&P9)

3 12ga Shotgun with a couple diff barrels (I like the Mossberg 500)

4 Bolt Rifle for larger game (I like my Mosin)

5 .22 cal Air rifle (something in the 750+fps range) cheap and fairly quiet

6 .410 or 20ga shotgun for small game hunting (maybe the Rossi combo, that way I have a second.22)

7 .338 Lapua Mag (What the hell, I had to put something interesting in here. haha)

Good list. I have the Rossi 22/410 combo and like it. If I was doing it again though, I'd buy the Savage 42 combo gun that one wasn't out yet at the time. 22LR top barrel and 410 bottom barrel in an over and under configuration. They have a version with a 22 mag top barrel I'd like to have.

I would have to go with what I already have.

1 - Ruger SS conv. .22/.22mag 5.5" l.

2 - CZ 452 American in .22lr with Leupold 3-9x33 efr scope

3 - SKS

4 - CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 with Leupold 2.5-8x36 B&C scope

5 - Rossi M92 22" bl. in .38spl./.357mag.

6 - S&W model 10-7 .38spl.

7 - Rem. 870 12ga. 28", 26" and 18.5" barrels

8 - Kimber custom TLE II .45acp

I have more handguns, rifles and shotguns but these are what I use the most and the core of my arsenal.

Nice list. I like the idea of having a bolt and auto rifle that share ammo, also a handgun/rifle that share ammo. To me this simplifies stocking ammunition and gives a back-up method of firing it if one firearm fails. I've looked at that CZ myself, but since I don't currently own a 7.62x39 I've held off of buying. With the price of that ammo increasing my interest in buying rifles in that caliber has waned. If I already had alot of the ammo or a rifle in it I'd think differently.

I saw on TV today that Mossberg is working on a MVP rifle in 308 to take AR-10 magazines. If that happens I really hope they also release one in 243 win. If not I may buy a 308 version and have it re-barrelled. An R25 in 243, with a bolt gun back-up that takes the same mags/ammo would be on my list for sure.

I'd go with a Springfield Socom II with an Aimpoint Comp M4 and a Viltor Sopmod stock, an H&K USP .45, and a Ruger .22 pistol. Shotguns are nice for birds and people in real close, but the .308 or .45 would work fine for that too. I can carry all three of these guns with me at once and do whatever I would ever need to do. The .22 pistol will work for birds and quiet work.

when it comes to takin' care of business in a dynamic situation

12 gauge pump with 00 & #4 buck as any scenario I contemplate comes to up

close and personal and your going to need a lot of lead fog to back em' up.

If I could only have 2 I would take a Remington 870 ad a Ruger 22/45.

I have noticed a leaning toward long distance arms

well sniping is not defense in fact it is the opposite.

if your on the move being ambushed is very likely and is the most common way to meet your maker and anyone

who thinks they can avoid one is whistling through a graveyard.

bugging out is the most dangerous and you cannot carry enough of anything but a and a 10/22 & 22/45 with some

varied ammo I have 22 cb's shorts Agila subsonic and mostly CCI 40grn HV and a large caliber pistol for larger game.

you cannot hope to carry enough rifle ammo for squat a 200 round battle pack, 5 mags and a rifle really

I would rather carry 2K + 100 rounds and 3 arms for the same weight I have walked a 100 miles numerous times

without a supply chain your not going to make it any data makes it very plain it takes a minimum of 5 to 7 persons

to support 1 troop in the field they do not cook they can hot MRE's get new clothing and web gear for anything worn out

new magazines fresh ammo medical evac close air support radio and drone intel and artillery support.

if it ever gets so bad that you have to leave your home or get burned out {LA riots} there will not be a group that can or

will help.

a friend of mine is going to be a boat nik well that's nice boats are not bullet proof, nor are vehicles and with all the sniper

rifles I do not see anyone making it to their bugout.

I was meaning for bugging in not out. You are right about the weight of ammo, I found that out real quick when I started weighing things. I go a different route since 12 gauge shells are heavy also. My BOB currently has 110 loose rounds of 223, 60 rounds of 223 in 20rd mags, and my 7615 carbine with another 10 rounds. In addition I have my 15oz 22LR pack rifle with 2lbs of subsonic ammo and my 357 revolver with 50 rounds of mixed ammo. The weight adds up quick, I'd like to add more 223 but it gets heavy in a hurry. My wife's bag has a 10-22 with 750 rounds, 60 rounds of 223, and 50 rounds of 357 for her revolver. Past that her bag carries mostly her emergency kit and our bulky/lightweight items to keep the overall weight low.

Anything you can carry on your back will always be a compromise.

I guess it depends on who you are envisioning fighting or what you envision will be necessary to survive. And these two envisioned scenarios are quite different depending on location. If I were in LA, I'd probably be screwed. Fortunately, I live in a rural area where my biggest concern would be warmth and food gathering. Also, due to where I am located, I would anticipate longer shots as being the norm....and larger animals. I also think that if a military force were to kick my door in, I would go down in a hail of bullets. I would not survive, regardless of gun choice. My rifle may be nicer, but when they take your door down with 20 guys, you lose. My hope would be that I am not the first house to be stormed, so that I have a chance to get to higher ground and "snipe"....or just run further than the clowns with vests, helmets, and all the other gear that they would likely carry. I think I am better in "my" woods than any police or military guy would be. They would be at a distinct disadvantage.

I've seen some great ideas here but the only thing I would change in hindsight is I would have started earlier and standardized my calibers even more than I already did. Of course, this is all hypothetical, including any firearms I had before that unfortunate boating accident where all my firearms ended up at the bottom of the lake. Now I have to make do with an assault slingshot (it looks really tacticool and has a bayoney lug) and stern language.

Catfish, I like the idea of having the wife carry some extra ammo for you. I don't even want to know what you had to give up to work that deal.

Oh, Catfish, I agree. I just think it is funny. The relative weight of 22 ammo to say, 45ACP or 308 makes the 22 a great choice for packing into a GOOD bag. For bugging out, if I had it to do over I would go with Marlin Model 60s over the 10/22 even though it is considered heresy by some. I like the tube magazine for plinking and small game and if you happen upon some old 22 Shorts or 22 Longs (though I don't see them much anymore around here) they are still compatible.

I have a 10-22 and two Marlin 60's. The only reason I prefer the 10-22 is that I got the Timney trigger spring kit in it. The marlin triggers are real heavy. All are good shooters and with open sights I prefer the Marlin. I keep one Marlin zeroed with the Winchester subsonic loads and it feeds them fine, comes in handy. I have a couple old bolt guns and my single shot pack rifle that handle the other 22 loads.

I'm getting recoil averse in my old age. If I was starting over it'd be

20 ga pump

.357 Mag revolver (east Texas) or .44 Mag (bear country) or .45 Colt/ACP Revolver

.22 LR

.Lever gun in pistol cartridge

If I was in long range country, I'd add a .308/.30-06 for game. A real combat battle rifle (don't start any wars here but a 5.56 is not a battle rifle round) would serve here. I like the M1 Garand, the M14/M1A, the PTR/H&K 91 etc. These are all proven battle rifle designs and rounds that will take larger game or reach out reliably to 800 yards and touch somebody.

That gives me hand guns with multiple ammo possibilities, a common shotgun that does the job without the recoil of a 12, a 150-200 lever gun with ammo to match my handgun (and will take deer sized game or Texas hogs which are tougher) and a .22 for the squirrels. Depending on location the .30-06 or .308 might get the nod, just because that's what the hunters use. I don't currently own a .30-06 although where I grew up it was "THE" gun all of us boys wanted and was way more common than the .308. With mail order outfits around, that is not quite the problem it once was.

blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, blam, PLING makes my heart sing.

knock on wood never got M1 thumb and I like that you do not have a mag in the way when prone in fact it is a great

brush swamp rifle as it has few wait a minute chunks hanging off it and great peep setup with a national match rear

it dials in like a laser.

only problem is the clips fly out with that tell tale pling and if you don't pay attention you will run out.

another plus is 180 to 220 grain bullets in 30-06 or if converted to .308 then 165 or 180 grain versus the 147+or - grain standard both in Boat Tail spire point or hollow point long shooting and hard hitting.

I like heavier bullets as they are longer and stabilize themselves better over distance than shorter lighter bullets

keeping in mind op rod failure beyond 2,400 FPS with heavier bullets keeping that in mind custom loading your rounds

you can get out to 1,000 with enough thump to handle non padded targets.

I never thought butt stroking with an AR was a good idea but a M1 or a M1A now that will leave a mark IMO.

It's always fun to go shooting with someone who is using an AR. I wait for them to fire off a few mags, then pull out the old M1a. Kaboom, Kaboom, Kaboom....then they want to try it. After they fire off a few, the comment is usually "Holy cow! that thing rips." Isn't it funny how the numbskulls in the media keep pointing fingers at the AR...."why do you need such a powerful gun?" or "Nobody in their right mind would use such a powerful gun for deer hunting." Well....actually, I wouldn't use such an weak gun for deer hunting. I know, I know, it will work, but it is not ideal. A .30 caliber or a super fast .25-06 or something along those lines is much more efficient. A 5.56 is good for wounding people (and killing), but a .308 or .30-06 will take care of humans (weak) and deer, elk (strong) and almost anything else in a bind much quicker. The combination of rapid firepower, nock them on their behind 165 grain bullets, and ability to take out chumps as well as elk, at a safe distance makes the M1a my go to gun if I had to run out the door in a hurry...which I had to do a few months ago when my dog started chasing a mountain lion out of my driveway and up the mountain!

Newby to these threads. I have enjoyed the comments, the info and the editorials across all boards. This thread happened to catch my eye because this is where I am currently in my preps and my concerns. Was looking at an AR prior to the Conn shooting. However, couldnt make up my mind so lost the opportunity for now. Was looking at the AR because I was familiar and comfortable with it courtesy of the Corps. Since that time I have had time to do some more research and as a result all things considered including, attack on anything "tactical" looking, ammo availability, versatility, weight of ammo and weapon for humpin it, concealment and something women would not be intimidated from using, I am seriously thinking the Ruger 10/22 take down. Currently have Moss 500 and a Glock 19. Want something to put some rounds a little further down range with a scope for hunting or if needed self defense to lay down cover fire while we call in some of you guys with your arty:)

Also, girlfriend just got her permit and is looking for a hand gun that she could be comfortable with. She is new to guns but not afraid to learn. Need something to get her started but something she can grow into for self defense.

Newby to these threads. I have enjoyed the comments, the info and the editorials across all boards. This thread happened to catch my eye because this is where I am currently in my preps and my concerns. Was looking at an AR prior to the Conn shooting. However, couldnt make up my mind so lost the opportunity for now. Was looking at the AR because I was familiar and comfortable with it courtesy of the Corps. Since that time I have had time to do some more research and as a result all things considered including, attack on anything "tactical" looking, ammo availability, versatility, weight of ammo and weapon for humpin it, concealment and something women would not be intimidated from using, I am seriously thinking the Ruger 10/22 take down. Currently have Moss 500 and a Glock 19. Want something to put some rounds a little further down range with a scope for hunting or if needed self defense to lay down cover fire while we call in some of you guys with your arty:)

Also, girlfriend just got her permit and is looking for a hand gun that she could be comfortable with. She is new to guns but not afraid to learn. Need something to get her started but something she can grow into for self defense.

10-22 takedown is a good one I'd say. I have the regular 10-22 and like it. For a longer range rifle that isn't tactical maybe a 760 pump in 308, 270, 30-06 or something. They can be found used pretty reasonable, even in a 18.5" barrel carbine for a shorter handier version. For the girlfriend maybe a Glock like yours with a 22LR conversion kit also. It would share magazines with your glock and keep ammo stocking simple by staying with 9mm and 22LR.

No problem, hope it was useful.

One thing I should mention on the conversion kits, the sights aren't as fine or precise as those on a dedicated 22 pistol most times. A 22, like a Ruger 22/45 Hunter or similar is meant to be a 22 for taking small game. A conversion kit for a Sig, Glock, etc is meant mostly as a training tool allowing for running cheaper ammo through your centerfire pistol. They work great for that, but only mediocre as a dedicated small game gun. For me though, any pistol is strictly back-up for hunting to my long gun.

Guns I would have if starting over:

1. I would start by inheriting my dad’s Savage 99 .308 lever action. Can use ammo for small to large game

as needed. This is the rifle I shoot the best and most accurately, and a lot faster than a bolt action.

2. Remington 870 riot/entry shotgun.

3. Ruger 10/22 rifle

4. Ruger .22/.22 magnum single action convertible revolver

5. Ruger .44 magnum 4-inch revolver customized to .454/.45 Colt, or even left .44 magnum

6. .45 acp semi-auto. Either an HK, 1911, Steyer, FN

7. New Savage Model 42 .22 WMR over .410, unless they come up with some even better combinations. A .30-30 over 12 gauge would be great. A great “survival” gun. Serves a lot of purposes.

8. If I had to have a concealable carry gun there are a lot to choose from and I would be happy with many of them.

For deep concealment I just might use my S&W 642, or even something smaller. I would NEVER use a .380. You know what they say, “if you shoot a man with a .380 and he finds out about it he’s going to be pissed.”

Maybe an S&W Governor with lots of shot shells for small game, and heavy .45 Colt for self-defense.

I've been out of contact for awhile back on finally.

I think every person NEEDS a .22 rifle for each adult, teen and child old enough to be trained in safety and use age of the rifle. LOTS, and lots of .22 LR rifle ammo, you can never have enough.

12 or 20 gauge shotguns, doesn't matter if pump, semi, or doubles/o/u

handguns-logistically attractive calibers, one for each, LOTS of ammo-you can never have enough

Rifles-center fire in logistically attractive calibers, one per shooter.lots of ammo, lots.

reloading components and Lee hand loading kit for each rifle.

Calibers don't really matter, HITS on target does.

Bluechip2, my girlfriend shoots a Walther PPS 9mm and loves it. She typically carries it in her purse, and I purchased a simple holster that she moves to whatever purse she is carrying that day. I prefer the Kahr CW9, which is almost identical in size, 1/3 less price point and the magazines aren't $60 a pop. It also comes standard with 7 round magazines, so it will avoid any current ban on the table (even New York). The Kahr CW9 is rugged and reliable, lightweight and exceeding easy to use and maintain. It is a bit snappy with 124 +P Federal, but there is no reason a 115 grain round won't work. Kahr also makes many options in .380, but I will not use this round for a number of reasons. I gave her the option of carrying either gun and I would carry the other as a backup at work. She choose the Walther because it has a two-stage spring which makes it easier for her to rack the slide. And to quote her "It's a lot prettier than yours."

I stick to semi-autos because that's what I've always been issued, they are easier and much faster to reload, and you have options on how many rounds you want to carry. A hammerless revolver (hammerless is arguably necessary for a woman if she may carry in a purse or pocket) is going to have a very heavy trigger pull, which put my girlfriend and sister off of them. A Smith & Wesson Airweight .357 may be a good option here. You could load with .38 special and work her up to .357, or stick with the .38 special if you prefer. A Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .38 may also be a good option if you wish to go the revolver route, or a Taurus. I'm honestly not too familiar with revolvers, so it would be better to speak with someone more knowledgeable if you wish to go this way.

If you can find one, a Norinco SKS or similar rifle might be an option. It doesn't have a folding stock or pistol grip, has a box 10 round magazine (options to upgrade to 30), is reasonably accurate to 300 yards and can be relatively easily outfitted with a scope. An Egyptian Hakim (8mm variant), again, if you can find it might be an option. They are not likely to be banned regardless of what state you're in.

Bluechip2, my girlfriend shoots a Walther PPS 9mm and loves it. She typically carries it in her purse, and I purchased a simple holster that she moves to whatever purse she is carrying that day. I prefer the Kahr CW9, which is almost identical in size, 1/3 less price point and the magazines aren't $60 a pop. It also comes standard with 7 round magazines, so it will avoid any current ban on the table (even New York). The Kahr CW9 is rugged and reliable, lightweight and exceeding easy to use and maintain. It is a bit snappy with 124 +P Federal, but there is no reason a 115 grain round won't work. Kahr also makes many options in .380, but I will not use this round for a number of reasons. I gave her the option of carrying either gun and I would carry the other as a backup at work. She choose the Walther because it has a two-stage spring which makes it easier for her to rack the slide. And to quote her "It's a lot prettier than yours."

I stick to semi-autos because that's what I've always been issued, they are easier and much faster to reload, and you have options on how many rounds you want to carry. A hammerless revolver (hammerless is arguably necessary for a woman if she may carry in a purse or pocket) is going to have a very heavy trigger pull, which put my girlfriend and sister off of them. A Smith & Wesson Airweight .357 may be a good option here. You could load with .38 special and work her up to .357, or stick with the .38 special if you prefer. A Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .38 may also be a good option if you wish to go the revolver route, or a Taurus. I'm honestly not too familiar with revolvers, so it would be better to speak with someone more knowledgeable if you wish to go this way.

If you can find one, a Norinco SKS or similar rifle might be an option. It doesn't have a folding stock or pistol grip, has a box 10 round magazine (options to upgrade to 30), is reasonably accurate to 300 yards and can be relatively easily outfitted with a scope. An Egyptian Hakim (8mm variant), again, if you can find it might be an option. They are not likely to be banned regardless of what state you're in.

Good ideas. My main CC handgun is a Kahr CM9, the smaller version of yours. I liked my CW9 also, but wanted something for pocket carry at times. I kept the spare 7rd mag for the CW and it offers a spot for my pinky when I put it in. For CC revolvers a S&W 638 looks like a good one to me. It has a shroud over the hammer with just a tiny rough spur that allows you to cock it for single action if you have time and need to. I like having that option for longer shots.