Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

If you were starting over what would your survival guns be?

I thought this might be interesting to post. I had some tractor time to think today and got to contemplating the ammo shortages, price increases, and what is still available. It made me think about what I'd do differently if I had no guns, or if I had them all stolen and was starting over with the insurance money. I've also been reading Mel Tappan's book "Survival Guns" that makes me think on the subject. His information if dated being written in the late 70's, alot has changed since then in bullet design and firearm technology but his logic is sound. Anyway, I think my arsenal would look a little different starting over today with no guns and no stored ammo. I live in a rural area where deer are the biggest game so that influences my decisions. These are what I'd choose for survival guns, not what I have or what I use currently for hunting.

Today's list in order or how I'd buy guns, magazines, and ammo.

1. 10-22 Ruger in 22 magnum

2. Remington 870 12 gauge 21" Rem choke barrel

3. Remington R25 in 243 win

4. Sig 226 in 40 S&W with night sights, SRT trigger, and 22LR conversion kit

5. Ruger American in 243 win

6. Crickett 22LR rifle with Ruta Locura kit

7. Kahr CM40

8. Buy parts kits, extra 2-7x scope, and then start the list over, buying an identical model of 1 thru 5. Lets me rob parts to keep one of each functioning if necessary.

My thinking behind it.

-22LR is extremely hard to find right now, and while it will be much cheaper than 22 mag when it becomes available again, I don't think it will ever be as cheap as it was. The price gap will shrink somewhat I think. 22 mag offers enough bullet choices to either not destroy small game or be somewhat effective for a back-up defense gun. Mel Tappan rated the 22 mag from a rifle equal to the 38spl from a revolver with the bullets available then. I know my current 22 mag is one of the most used rifles on the ranch.

-870 12 gauge is self explanatory

-R25 in 243, this offers a very lethal round with a tremendous amount of flexibility in bullet choice in an AR style platform. Here again I think the price of 223 will rise enough to make the extra performance of the 243 worth the difference (plus I handload). The bullet options in the 243 are huge, I shoot 75gr V-max bullets on coyotes that will flatten one from any angle without exiting. I can also put in a 100gr Partition or 90gr E-tip and penetrate barriers, take deer reliably, etc. My R25 load would likely be an 85gr Sierra HPBT Gameking and just use it for everything.

-Sig 226, every place I go has 40S&W on the ammo rack and not 9mm. Bulk ammo pricing is close enough to work for me, and the switch to 40 by most law enforcement has ensured it's popularity and availability long term. The Sig offers me the ability to buy a conversion kit to 22LR or 9mm both of which I'd likely end up with eventually.

-Ruger American, gives me another detachable magazine option in 243 for hunting or as an extra defense gun. Light, easy to pack, and darn accurate until the barrel heats up.

-The last two are more niche guns, a pack 22 that I can take places I normally wouldn't carry a 22 rifle or for BOB use. The Kahr is a concealable back-up.

1) Mosin Nagant 1891/30 with original PU scope and mount.

2) Mossberg 500, 12 gauge, 18" barrel with full length magzine tube

3) KelTec Sub 2000 9mm Glock variant

4) Glock 17

5) AK-47 w/ Tapco accessories and MeproLight M21 optic

I have a Mosin Nagant but its not the sniper variant, and I REALLY like the sniper variant. The fixed 4x scope doesn't provide the most magnification, but its robust and reliable and fits my needs. The ammo is still ridiculously cheap and still manufactured. I have a Remington 870 and love it, but the Mossberg is lighter and accessories somewhat cheaper. I also prefer the location of the safety on the Mossberg 500. The Glock 17/KelTec with Glock 17 magazines would be part of my "get home" kit, and they are SO much cheaper to feed than the .40 caliber variant. And the AK-47 because, lets face it, its an AK-47.

98 Mauser forged not stamped parts in a 30 caliber preferably .308 or 30-06

870 Remington synthetic stock cylinder smooth bore rifle sights

Marlin lever action in a pistol caliber

Old Ruger Vaquero in same caliber for fun

Smith & Wesson revolvers in 2 inch or snub also 2 X 4inch one with iron sights one with adjustable

that match the caliber of the lever action

22LR Marlin 39a lever action

22 LR / 22 mag ruger single six

22LR Smith & Wesson model 617

One thing I would like to add if $s not a issue .....a .50 BMG Barrett with several boxes of tracer and a hundred boxes of AP if you start towards my home and I split the tree next to you with a tracer round and you take another step and I pop your head like a soap bubble....I think the guy next to you will get the idea before the muzzle report!

I would buy the guns that I already have. I have had many years to think out what I need, being 66yoa. I have used them in the roll which I purchased them for and I am pleased with what I have, so far. I would rather sink money into things which I do not have. NO REGRETS.....and Snake I have the song by Edith Piaff.

Sporsterized Nagant and Lots of ammo

Winchester trapper in 357 mag

Ruger 357 mag or S&W 686 in 357mag

Ruger 10-22

Taurus 85 in 38 special

Taurus 94 in 22lr

Mossberg with tactical stock and light and extra barrels

NAA 22lr mini derringer in 22lr

12 ga...22lr...357mag/38special...7.62X54R...with reloading stuff for the 12ga and the 357/38 and a few boxes of boxer primed rounds and a reloader for the Nagant.

If I wanted to add something it would probably be an M-14. I just have little use for the 5.56 as a defensive round. This is for 2 people and for survival not starting a war...

I love all my firearms. Some are pretty. Some are tactical. Some fall somewhere in between. 20 of them to date; levers, bolts, semi-autos, pumps...

If I had nothing I'd want at minimum a .45 ACP handgun; .22LR semi-auto, scoped rifle; .308, scoped bolt rifle; 12 ga. semi-auto bird gun; 12 ga. defensive pump gun.

I would'nt change anything except getting a Glock 20, 10mm Auto with multiple calibre wolf barrels to swap if needed. I like the idea of shooting, 10mm then change the barrel to 40 S&W, then change the barrel to 357 SIG, & a 22lr conversion kit. I'm working on this project, already have Glock 20, 10mm & 22lr kit, just need the 40 S&W & 357SIG barrels. So it's like one gun with 4 different calibres one can shoot from. Oh they would all work with the same 10mm mag except the 22lr.

I would'nt change anything except getting a Glock 20, 10mm Auto with multiple calibre wolf barrels to swap if needed. I like the idea of shooting, 10mm then change the barrel to 40 S&W, then change the barrel to 357 SIG, & a 22lr conversion kit. I'm working on this project, already have Glock 20, 10mm & 22lr kit, just need the 40 S&W & 357SIG barrels. So it's like one gun with 4 different calibres one can shoot from. Oh they would all work with the same 10mm mag except the 22lr.

I'm doing a similar project with my Sig. Bought it with a 9mm barrel, added the 22 conversion, looking to add the 40S&W conversion down the road and probably pick up a 357 barrel that will work with the 40S&W slide & mag. I will have to have 3 different magazines though, 22/9mm/40 or 357. I already have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible with a 357 and 9mm cylinder. I like handguns that can shoot multiple rounds from one platform, only have to pay for one trigger job that way.

I'm doing a similar project with my Sig. Bought it with a 9mm barrel, added the 22 conversion, looking to add the 40S&W conversion down the road and probably pick up a 357 barrel that will work with the 40S&W slide & mag. I will have to have 3 different magazines though, 22/9mm/40 or 357. I already have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible with a 357 and 9mm cylinder. I like handguns that can shoot multiple rounds from one platform, only have to pay for one trigger job that way.

Good to know that their are people like you, not just me thinking the same way. I was told that i could use a glock 21, 45acp slide & barrel that would fit with the glock 20 as well. Only thing is that, i'll need to carry 45acp mags. That would make it 5 different calibres.

why not just make a cannon cheaper and you don't need to find brass and primers

Made cannons in the past when i was in my mid-teens, only thing is that i like quick repeated firepower at my disposal if needed.

If I was starting over?

I'd go straight Saiga for my long guns, 7.62x39, .308 and 12 gauge, as well as a .22 rifle magazine fed either a 10/22 or Savage.

Pistols would be a 1911, .40 H&K, .38 and a .22 from Ruger, Browning or S&W.

I own...well a LOT of guns. The picking and choosing of what to haul with me if I had to go walkabout would be a little like choosing which kids to save if the house was on fire!!!! In general I would go with the most reliable and common ammo if I had to leave the rest behind. I LOVE the 50cal bolt action guns but can you really imagine carrying one around with enough ammo to make it worthwhile? I like straight wall rimmed cases because they are easy to reload with minimal equipment and powder, primers and a bullet mold is lighter than ammo. If I buy another gun with survival in mind it will mostlikely be a bolt action in 308 that is set up for long range shooting BUT it WILL nonetheless still have open sights. There is little more useless than a rifle with NO sights.

I prefer to have open sights also. My BOB rifle has a scope and iron sights but I also carry an extra compact 1-4x20mm scope zeroed in a spare set of rings. I can pull the main scope off the weaver base, screw down the back-up, and be going again. If time allows I'll double check the zero of the back-up scope but it has remained dialed in in the past. If two Leupold's fail I still have the iron sights.