Sign in to follow this  
exit

Home Security

What are some preps you've made when it comes to home security? What are some preps you still plan to make?

I'm looking for ideas that function in terms of:

1. Deter

2. Delay

3. Defend

For example,

Deter = Home security sign which basically states your home is protected.

Delay = security film for windows (should delay a robber from getting in your home)

Defend = A Shotgun in my hands

1/ Smile for the Camera & beware of Dog. Have survalance cameras both inside & outside the house. Pin hole & night vission with battery back up.

2/ Film on main floor & basement windows with bars & my dog.

3/ 1,000 lumins flashlight, strobe mode is best, staff, Katana, Shotgun with BB's , really what ever is closest at the time, I'll grab.

I wade in

My home has a obscure door that cannot be seen first it is older heavy duty steel and it opens outward set in a 6 inch C channel

Frame with both doors having long throw dead lock bolts each has a 360 degree viewer allows viewing right left down and out.

about 2 inches in from the threshold 6 inches in 2 holes drilled in the concrete with 2 pins that stick in and up 4 inches.

prevents kicking in if some one can kick through a steel door the screws in the frame are stainless it is a steel frame set between

2 2 7/8 inch pipes welded to angle iron bolted to the slab and a square box beam welded in place between the lips of the frame.

on both doors cross bars on both doors.

2 inch square panel fence bars the windows double pane and in a storm a precut 3/4 inch plywood bolts into the frame with

security screw heads.

magnetic door alarms and an infrared beam across the drive.

2 nasty dogs one is so mean he bites himself literally born crazy been that way since pups I had nothing to do with it.

fenced with gates both have pad locks, roll of barbed wire when the flag goes up and a lot of tangle foot wire and steel stakes

to mount it.

in barrels I have ankle breakers bricks and pieces to scatter through the yard and nail filed blocks of wood "construction scrap"

Keeps any from a straight run toward house without concentrating on their footwork OR ELSE.

a secondary perimeter fence to protect the exterior garden form critters.

mirrors have been placed to allow viewing far sides of buildings and corners and can be used with bino's or eyes on etc.

other yard features like planters and plants are a thorny problems like agave, blackberries and lemons and key limes.

some other plans only if there is a "PROBLEM" as is it looks normal but in less than 12 hours it becomes defensible.

Great so far.

No new ideas for me yet though. I'd love to hear someone chime in who lives in an apartment/condo.

Also, SIG, how much did the camera set up cost you?? (Roughly) I'd like to get a set up outside (front and back) but I'd like the camera's to be hidden.

Got the first set of 4 cameras analog, 20 years ago they were made by Sony cost me about $3,500 with tape Bata Max recorder & install.

Then 5 years ago got 3 pinhole cameras with audio for inside the house & 4 night vission cameras for the outside. Got new recorder that uses SD cards digital, as to tape analog before. Make sure the recorder records Time/Date/year in case you need it for court evidnce when needed. Cost was $2,200 in total. Nowdays you can get a system for under $1,000 that comes with 4 night vission cameras & recorder, install would be extra if one is not handy.

One thing for sure, one learns alot about their neighbours that are seen at night that they did'nt know before. Like the good & the as$hole neighbours. One gets alot of info.

I bet! I was thinking of installing a hidden camera in front of the door, which would render the peephole unnecessary.

Deter: a sign on my door that says "door unlocked, accepting all challengers" delay: a sign on the that says "door unlocked, accepting all challengers" (who is NOT going to double take when reading that? ) defend: the shot gun to prove that they should have not challenged the king of the castle.

I wade in

My home has a obscure door that cannot be seen first it is older heavy duty steel and it opens outward set in a 6 inch C channel

Frame with both doors having long throw dead lock bolts each has a 360 degree viewer allows viewing right left down and out.

about 2 inches in from the threshold 6 inches in 2 holes drilled in the concrete with 2 pins that stick in and up 4 inches.

prevents kicking in if some one can kick through a steel door the screws in the frame are stainless it is a steel frame set between

2 2 7/8 inch pipes welded to angle iron bolted to the slab and a square box beam welded in place between the lips of the frame.

on both doors cross bars on both doors.

2 inch square panel fence bars the windows double pane and in a storm a precut 3/4 inch plywood bolts into the frame with

security screw heads.

magnetic door alarms and an infrared beam across the drive.

2 nasty dogs one is so mean he bites himself literally born crazy been that way since pups I had nothing to do with it.

fenced with gates both have pad locks, roll of barbed wire when the flag goes up and a lot of tangle foot wire and steel stakes

to mount it.

in barrels I have ankle breakers bricks and pieces to scatter through the yard and nail filed blocks of wood "construction scrap"

Keeps any from a straight run toward house without concentrating on their footwork OR ELSE.

a secondary perimeter fence to protect the exterior garden form critters.

mirrors have been placed to allow viewing far sides of buildings and corners and can be used with bino's or eyes on etc.

other yard features like planters and plants are a thorny problems like agave, blackberries and lemons and key limes.

some other plans only if there is a "PROBLEM" as is it looks normal but in less than 12 hours it becomes defensible.

Lemons and key limes are thorny??? My Midwest arse had no idea!

Double D

there are so many great tasting or useful vines and plants that either are tangle foot or thorny or both like blackberries

blueberry bushes are to trip up and upset a persons concentration with nail block on the other side anyone diving over and landing

on them will be a bad thing zig zag ruts or garden furrows at uneven widths rebar stakes will really make it hard on anyone

coming inside you perimeter. of course I like fire too.

Blue Heeler that won't bite but sure sounds like she would. Very protective and great alarm system, also well trained so if I want her to shut up or stay put she listens. The same commands and hand signals I use working cattle can be adapted to defense situations.

Flood lights with motion sensors are important also. I've responded to a couple B&Es in progress that were called out because neighbors saw the floodlights. This can be a problem if you live in a area with a lot of deer, for example.

A simple door stop or cut piece of 2x4 that you can angle under the door handle gives you an extra few seconds, at least, of delay if someone tries to kick your door in.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of a shotgun, but in the very close confines of a house I prefer a handgun. Easier to maneuver, you can use with one hand, you can usually carry more bullets, you can easily attach a flashlight to most modern ones and easier to retain if you get in too close to someone. They can also be stored in more readily accessible firearms boxes for rapid access (if you have children and use a Gun Vault, for example).

Flood lights with motion sensors are important also. I've responded to a couple B&Es in progress that were called out because neighbors saw the floodlights. This can be a problem if you live in a area with a lot of deer, for example.

A simple door stop or cut piece of 2x4 that you can angle under the door handle gives you an extra few seconds, at least, of delay if someone tries to kick your door in.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of a shotgun, but in the very close confines of a house I prefer a handgun. Easier to maneuver, you can use with one hand, you can usually carry more bullets, you can easily attach a flashlight to most modern ones and easier to retain if you get in too close to someone. They can also be stored in more readily accessible firearms boxes for rapid access (if you have children and use a Gun Vault, for example).

Weapon wise...look at the S&W or Ruger pistols that shoot both 410 and 45....also consider....a 20 ga. automatic shotgun with a pistolgrip. Check out JCMS's posts as he has offered several ideas that I found spot on.

While the S&W and Taurus (Governor and Judge) are both good options, they aren't for me and they are yet another caliber of ammunition I'd have to stock up on. And neither of those handguns can really double as a conceal carry piece. The handgun is attractive because its small, and no matter how small you make a 20 gauge to be legal it will still have an 18.1" barrel, plus another 8 to 10 inches for the action.

Be careful of putting anything down that could be considered a booby trap. Booby traps are illegal in most states. Make sure to read up on your local and state laws before you deploy punji sticks or shotguns tied to your door.

I own a S&W governor and I bought it purposely for home defense and the fact that I can shoot .45 colt, .410 shot shells, and .45acp with moon clip attachment. I loaded mine with .410 winchester PDX1 defense ammo and a speed loader with the pdx1 .45colt. I would recommend it to anyone, because it's very versatile.

Deter: Maintaining the appearance that the house is occupied and that the residents inside are awake. Frequent police patrols, nosy neighbors in okay neighborhood.

Delay: Doors locked securely, windows at ground level blocked by shrubbery, 80-pound Airedale Terrier with protective tendencies, very loud bark.

Defend: Aforementioned dog, several well-armed adults, prepared action plan, typical police response time of under 5 minutes (city living has its perks sometimes!)

Even got good handcuffs for those who decide to give up.