Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

Auguson Farms buckets

Just wondered if anyone had tried any of their products. They have buckets of pancake mix, dehydrated potatoes, rice, and 30 day meal kits I was looking at getting into. The price seems fairly reasonable for a 20yr shelf life compared to some of the Mountain House or other ready made meals. Anyone tried them?

They look very basic....

sam's has the best price so far..

http://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-30-Day-Storage-Emergency/dp/B007NZMAPI

$117.00

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason-farms-30-day-food-storage-emergency-all-in-one-pail/prod5610448.ip

$86.63..

again it looks VERY basic..cheese and noodles...not much meat.. but the water filter and firestarter is a good touch..

JMO

I have tried several of their products-

Scrambled eggs, pancakes, Textured Vegetable Protein(Fake Meat), chicken soup, sweet corn, potato slices, butter powder, milk powder, and granola cereal.

In my opinion-

All were excellent in taste and texture EXCEPT the TVP- It was good, but it wasn't meat; And the chicken noodle soup was a little "slippery" for want of a better term, but still the flavor was good. I did not like the pancakes flavor, but the wife thought they were great. Go figure.

I would recommend that you practice preparation a little, as it does take quite some time for some of them to re-hydrate. Augason sells a small can for everyday and trial use. I did that to decide what I did not want when I bought the pails.

Also Augason is in some kind of relation ship with Sams and Walmart, so you can find some of the stuff in the local stores and save on shipping. After trying the small cans, I did go on to buy larger quantity in pails.

Hope this helps

You can try buying it online. Walmart.com or Samsclub.com

I didn't know wal-mart was carrying Augasons but I've been getting #10 cans and 5gal pails from

Sams online. The dried veggies aren't bad. Soak them in some water to reconstitute them. I'd gotten

some buckets of taters, sliced and shredded; and peppers and onions. Be a great add to about anything

one would prepare especially making omlets from the powdered eggs.

The potatoe soup is pretty darned good. I could just imagine adding rabbit or squirell

to it. I did get some of the Wise TVP meats but have not tried it. I believe I'm going to stick to

getting canned meat and storing it. I don't like to rotate stuff. Easier for me that way and I'd forget my

arse if it wasn't stuck to the bottom of my back.

MEATS:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/canned_meat_canned_chicken_canned_turkey_canned_beef.aspx?gclid=COK6s_S8nbUCFQq0nQod3B0ApQ

http://www.happyhovelfoods.com/C-meats.html

Good to know. I got buckets of potato slices, pancake mix, white rice, oatmeal, and wheat plus one of their 30 day meal kits. Also got 2 cans of dehydrated honey from them. I have mountain house #10 cans plus a stash of the 2 serving hiking meals and a pantry full of "normal" foods that I rotate out and a big freezer of meat. I figure my wife and I can go 1 week on food that will need used quickly, another 3 on meat from the freezer and what is in the pantry. Past that the mountain house cans and meals can take us another 2 weeks before I have to break into the buckets with the long shelf life. I have a good generator and keep plenty of fuel on hand to get the meat from the freezer all eaten, smoked, or dried before it spoils.

Long term I'm looking at adding enough staples with a 30yr shelf life to supplement as needed what we can raise or gather. My wife has a large garden, plus I have heirloom seeds in the freezer. I work on a family ranch which would provide beef long term. I've also made sure all our pasture ponds are stocked with a sustainable population of fish and we have game in the area. I just don't want to rely on the ranch for everything as it can't be moved if we are forced to leave by events.

Looks like old crystalized honey I'm guessing. I'm not opening those, want to keep the shelf life. I have tried the mountain house meals before ordering cans of them but the Auguson farms stuff is mainly ingredients. I feel more comfortable stocking ingredients I haven't tested than meals I haven't tested. Hopefully the Auguson stuff would be supplemented with fresh meat and greens from the garden, only used when necessary to stretch it out. One person in my group is going to market heirloom seeds and food stores to the public in order to fund his own prepping, plus we will be supplementing our group's stores with items bought in bulk. As long as it all goes in and out of his place in town and my name and location stays out of it I'm fine with that. Good idea probably.

I bought a six packof #10 cans of their brown rice from Sams Club online. Havent tried them yet. Their prices seem good compared to somewhere like Emergency Essentials. I ordered some buckets of white rice from the Ready Store. They showed up a little beat up. How did your pails look condition wise from Auguson farms?