Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

Urban Camo For A Not So Urban BOB

Hey guys, so in the past all I used to think I needed to "urbanly camouflage" my BOB was a backpack cover. I own a Maxpedition Vulture II pack, and I can say yes the cover makes a difference, but the straps and kidney pads are very much not urbanized. So this had me thinking, perhaps a duffel bag could be used to conceal my BOB until I got to a more urban area? I keep my BOB in my vehicle, I currently don't have an EDC. The problem with duffel bag is it would have to be at least 20" wide and 21" High. And the bag weighs about 25lbs (not very significant) but for the long hall its questionable. Is their a way to conceal the straps and kidney pads? The pack is rather large with molle attached. I live in Miami and I feel like if I walked around with this pack on it would attract some attention, especially in a bug out or getting out of the dodge situation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1816[/ATTACH]

Is your planned bug-out on foot?

My 2cents, find a trash bag big enuf to put ur pack in. Dress in normal old street clothes. And just carry it by the shoudler straps ... while covered by the plastic.

Thatd blend in pretty well around here.

I'm in pretty much the same boat with my Eberlestock packs. I just went the route you did with a blue rain cover to fit over the pack, and a grey instead of camo harness and belt set-up. I wouldn't be bugging out from a urban area if I left though so mine is more of a back-up plan than a Plan A option. Cabela and others sell giant duffle bags you could likely stuff it in with a single shoulder strap but it wouldn't be very manuverable. Maybe one of the various dry bags like the Cabelas Boundary Waters series would fit it and be a valuable piece of gear also? They have backpack straps and can be used to keep gear dry or haul water if needed, rolled up and strapped to the bottom of the pack when not. Most important if possible would be to find a route not many people will take and avoid contact while leaving.

Trashbag idea might be just as good and much cheaper.

You could also put your current pack up for sale and look at getting a different one that would blend in better where you live, watch what people carry and see what you could find that would fit your needs without drawing to much attention.

In a GOOD situation ..I realy dont think it matters..But I understand being grey..

wrap it with anything...a garbage bag is a great Idea or a small rain coat/windbreaker..

I have a Alice pac with frame..BUT its for the woods..My 3 day bag is a old red back pack that goes in the car..

JMO

Hmmm. May be a good idea to have a 72 hour to accompany my BOB. The only thing is I live in college, so I feel that any SHTF situation would be a bug out situation. Home is only 2 hours away. So i wonder if I should leave my pack home and only have a 72 hour bag? I keep my BOB in my car bungied in the trunk, covered up. I wonder what situation I would have to be in to use a 72-hour kit instead of a BOB.

...if passing through the D add a shopping cart to the mix. Carry your bag that way, covered by trash bag or whatever, through in some random items loose in the cart and wahla... ur a hobo

That's actually a great idea xD talk about being grey! Could definitely blend in if I had too. Noone would bother stealing my "trash" anyway... Other hobo's probably know more about general survival than most of the public anyway.

My BOB is also a military bag olive drab gear hanging out of the pockets, so this is an issue for me as because my BOB lives in my car as well, I have a drum liner to somewhat throw off the shape and color but the straps and such will be seen, if I'm on foot I am relying on speed to get me thru, I intend to be home before the sheep realize theyre screwed so they will just I hope stare blankly at me as I walk by, if they look interested I will mutter something unintelligible then scream " I pooped myself wanna smell?" if they are still interested I guess I'll have to deal with it by normal means....pre-escalation of force.