Sign in to follow this  
DrBonesNurseAmy

Medical Skills

Hi all,

How many of you have worked to develop medical skills such as suturing, setting fractures, treating medical illness? Who has stepped up to take responsibility for their group's health in a collapse? It's not just beans and bullets, get those band-aids together!

Give us an idea of what medical issues you want us to address on this forum. We're all about education and want you to achieve your medical knowledge goals!

Dr. Bones

Well i really wish i could find more training in the medical area. I have been First Aid and CPR trained for a long time. I read a few medical instructional books on common things like how to treat for shock, splits etc.

I even keep a med kit handy at all times with a SAS survival manual for reference. Currently looking into STOMP bags. I would really like to learn how to deal with things like gun shot wounds, major cuts, chest wounds.

I've taken First Aid and CPR training, specifically a course in advance wilderness first aid. I would recommend this type of course to any one on the forum. Wilderness first-aid focuses on providing care and making the tough calls when you are more than 24 hours away from help. This approach is vastly different that the typical first aid class that is more focused on caring for someone while you wait for the ambulance to show up. This shift in mentality is very applicable for SHTF type situations. I took mine through a local group associated with my hiking club, but I'm sure there are plenty of other courses and groups out there.

Back to the point, but possibly a little off topic, I'm interested in doing an EMT type training and would love any recommendations. I'm in the DC area and would like one that can be completed nights/weekends if possible. Any ideas?

Hello Dr Bones, really enjoy your web site(s). Esp. the suturing and anti biotic articles, would like to see more on reducing/setting dislocations, and fx's also any reliable means to diagnose infections (w/o a lab)ie: viral vs bacterial btw, Really enjoy Armageddon Medicine,,,waiting on a password..:)

Edited by rayz

Hey Doctor Bones And Nurse Amy thanks for the info. I added your web page to my favorites. One more question please. Those of us in the population that may be on BP meds or blood thinners need to think of ways to compensate when the supplies run out. Any ideas?

Awake, my Dad uses herbs to control his BP. The book, "Little Herb Encyclopedia" has alot of information on which herbs can be used for different issues. I haven't taken OTC meds (except the vaccines they forced me to take in the Army) for 15 years and until those vaccines, I never had a sick day.

I use cherry pills for pain ( 1 tablet is equivalent to 10 aspirin without the side effects), oregano is a good blood purifier, garlic helps with high BP, thyme and sage are good, burdock can be and is used as an antedote for most poisons, etc.

Wilderness Awareness School has many herb ecourses available for free. They also have cost courses for a more thorough study, so you can choose the free ones to begin your knowledge and advance to the higher courses if interested.

Hi Ray,

Look up my article "Dislocation, Dislocation, Dislocation!" at www.doomandbloom.net.

Dr. Bones

Hello Dr Bones, really enjoy your web site(s). Esp. the suturing and anti biotic articles, would like to see more on reducing/setting dislocations, and fx's also any reliable means to diagnose infections (w/o a lab)ie: viral vs bacterial btw, Really enjoy Armageddon Medicine,,,waiting on a password..:)

Hi awake,

I haven't figured out blood thinners yet, but there are various natural remedies for blood pressure. Any herb that has a sedative effect will likely also lower pressures. Valerian, Passion Flower, and Lemon Balm are some examples. Garlic and Cayenne Pepper is also well-known to have a modest lowering effect. Coenzyme Q10 has shown some promise in this field. Antioxidants like Vitamin C and fish oil may prevent free radicals from damaging artery walls. Foods rich in Potassium, like bananas, are also recommended.

Don’t forget natural relaxation techniques. Meditation, Yoga, and mild massage therapy will relax your patient. Take their blood pressure after a session and see what effect it has had.

Dr. Bones

Awake, I actually have a list I wrote down for my Dad. Also the "Nature's Remedy Desk Reference" (I think is title, a little wiped since I been running for a week) gives alot of true medicinal advice that skips big pharma. My dad drives truck, so his BP and blood sugar is monitored closely and all he uses are herbs. Our herbalist has him detox his liver every couple months, which definitely seems to help with the blood sugar.

Another site to check for alot of info on diabetes is www.diabetes101.com..... even has recipes/instructions on pemmican and other healthy foods.

Do you need to take blood thinners? I will be home over the weekend and will look through my books and journals to see what I can come up with. I can't guarantee anything but hopefully can give you a baby step in the right direction.

I'm interested in recommendations for blood glucose management for diabetics. Obviously the type 2's can usually do themselves a lot of good with eating right and exercise (if they're not too severe), but what about care for type 1's? I have family that has type 1 and I'm seriously concerned for their long term well being. They've worked on building up a several month buffer of insulin (rotating through it so it is used before it loses its efficacy) but what happens once it is used up or has lost its potency? I know there really isn't any replacement for insulin but Is there any kind of natural method that can be used as a supplement to make the insulin go further? What about storage tips during a long term power loss?

In my clinical experience (in nursing school) so far, I've been shocked by how many people I see who have some degree of diabetes (mostly type 2). I think if there were an extended SHTF or TEOTWAWKI event, we'd see a mass die off of most diabetics.

DR Bones,

i dont know if this has been mentioned, but in a Bug Out situation, if one is on foot, foot care will be a big issue. actually, for the every day person feet problems can be a issue when on your feet all day.

then there is the whole fungus stuff. i think these two are highly possible

in a bug out situation where perfect hygene isnt in the cards lol.

Edited by ricksconnected

indeed Dr bones.

was watching a show last night where this type of injury was a common problem in a military survival situation training. it was costing the soldiers big time. same show fungus was an issue for some as well.

how to spot and treat these issues is a must. at first both attack your comfort levels but very quickly can get out of hand and can cause very serious issues. given the situation these two may not be preventable, but they can be detected and treated and slowed to a craw.

goes to show how a minor issue can go full blown trouble in the matter of a few short days.

I've taken First Aid and CPR training, specifically a course in advance wilderness first aid. I would recommend this type of course to any one on the forum. Wilderness first-aid focuses on providing care and making the tough calls when you are more than 24 hours away from help. This approach is vastly different that the typical first aid class that is more focused on caring for someone while you wait for the ambulance to show up. This shift in mentality is very applicable for SHTF type situations. I took mine through a local group associated with my hiking club, but I'm sure there are plenty of other courses and groups out there.

Back to the point, but possibly a little off topic, I'm interested in doing an EMT type training and would love any recommendations. I'm in the DC area and would like one that can be completed nights/weekends if possible. Any ideas?

hey dc matt, check out your local vocational technical centers for the emt classes in my area they are always having the classes at little cost, they are great classes!

Doc..Im a CNA and deal with stuff everyday..at work..

I have all kinds of stuff I have gathered from my EMT friends..and a local Hospital(friends in the OR and ER)...:rolleyes:

But a complete list for a Med bag.

3 day

3 week's

3 month's

Bug in Home !!

I need direction...thanks..