Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bart

Not just Big Sis

This got started over an incident involving a store employee and a cell phone camera. Details are not too important but he was taking photos of people in the store and saving them on his cell phone. When caught he was forced to erase the photos and was fired. What's the harm in what he did? He didn't know anyone so it was just a photo of a stranger, right?

Well the software exists to do face recognition. I have it as a utility on my Mac. If i have a photo of you and I am a half way decent programmer I can search the internet for all matching faces. Somewhere there is probably a photo of you with a name or phone number or address or other identifying items. If there is, then I can find you - period.

Don't think there is a photo? Really? Ever do charity work? You know, "these are the amateur radio operators who helped with the fun run" kind of photo with call signs listed? Your kid's friend who published a photo of the birthday party at your house with the attendees named? How about the on line wedding photos? Or maybe the fishing contest you were in or the background interview with the local paper about your shooting club or ... need I continue?

These photos show up everywhere and often. Even red light cameras take photos of the drivers faces. So city, county, state, national and the re-stock clerk at the local mega mart can all track you and the members of your family. Not exactly a Gray Man life culture.

Feel all warm and fuzzy safe now?

Edited by Capt Bart

Combine that with the most recent smart phone buzz, with the key logging app, and you got a really scary scenario brewing. Love this whole "your life is for everyone to view". Its only a matter of time until they decide that security cameras everywhere is a good idea.

i would be thinking that he was fwd'ing the picture to someone outside that would rob/car jack for some predetermined factor or profile of person they were looking for. maybe he saw you pay with cash, buying some expensive items, ammo, etc..

Mike,

already done in the UK. Every intersection, all sidewalks in major cities, even use cameras on the highways to get license plates for tax purposes! Here I was thinking RFID was the tracking method of choice and they don't need squat because they can see your face.

Bamaman,

all the photos were of high school and collage age girls. Guess what he had in mind.

In NYC near Rock Center they have cameras / video cameras that take pics and video of everyone, run it threw data centers and send red lights back to homeland in an office near Rockerfeller center. They say its to catch pick pocketers. If the same people are walking back and forth on the block its safe to say they are going to be removed.