Sign in to follow this  
nightslayer78

Woodworking tools in your BOB

I'm a maintainance guy by trade-I fix things-so I probabley carry more tools than most.I recently got a lenox try fold saw:it uses sawzall blades,so gives me quite a bit of cutting ability.I am in the process of making my own "hammer/hatchet/prybar" type tool(haven't been able to find 1 that I like).I also carry a small amount of hardware in a ziplock.Never can tell when you'll need a nail or two.

I am starting to agree with you wally, i think i could manage with two woodworking tools. I already have a Gransfors hatchet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WIX6YC/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1358198068&sr=8-1-spellπ=SL75

So i could do a lot with that. But for the finer work im going to need tools with a hook for making a concave section in the wood. Like the tool mentioned above.

I'm a maintainance guy by trade-I fix things-so I probabley carry more tools than most.I recently got a lenox try fold saw:it uses sawzall blades,so gives me quite a bit of cutting ability.I am in the process of making my own "hammer/hatchet/prybar" type tool(haven't been able to find 1 that I like).I also carry a small amount of hardware in a ziplock.Never can tell when you'll need a nail or two.
EDC has a multi tool,8"adj wrench,1/2"chisel,good 2 blade pocket knife. also carry a cut down xacto in my firstaid kit along with a small assortment of blades. In my EOTWAWKI stash I have woodworking tools that would let me make about anything-otherwise I could stoke up the forge and make a tool for the job.

Since you cannot carry all of the tools which you may need, just figure out which tools you might need to manufacture the tools which you need. If you want to make a bowl cutting tool you might need something to cut a piece of steel, sharpen it and hold in the fire to temper or bend it into the config. you need. ie: long pliers, files and stones for sharpening. Of course, tools are heavy. Use what you have at hand. Save the weight for something which may save your life.

..hmmm you can do a lot with a rock! weapon, projectile, chip other rocks to make other tools,hammers, knives, start a fire, learn to smelt ore, forge new tools, build Pyramids...create nuclear weapons, blow up world.-back where we started...

I have a 3/4 and 1" auger bit and crank handle and a 1/2" chisel for GOOD gear these would be great for simple pin and dowel and peg framing. And won't take much room and don't add that much weight. for a BOB I would say maybe a auger and T bar holder if you really think that you will be building a wood frame. But more is a little over the BOB idea in my way of thinking.

I also have a draw knife as well in GOOD gear they are really useful, this really does get me thinking again on the basic hand tools that I have, a few mattocks, axes and hatchets, 2 1/2lb sledge on 16" handle, crosscut saw, large draw plane, a hand saw, I have been trying to get a few rounded up as I can. My BOL being the ole farm has every hand tool I would need to go back to living a 1900 existence, they have been there since they were hung up as they were replaced by modern tools, and my dad made sure I knew how to use them all when I was a kid,before I could use power tools I had "to prove that I could use a hand tool without losing a limb first"

because we are in the present day finding lumber, nails wire etc may not be a problem

I like the fencing pliers idea
few chisels and steel ones also
hatchet with a hammer head or a hammer the claw of a claw hammer makes great fire starter if dry or is full of rosin
shark saw very short stanley brand or a bow saw
shovel I like the Glock brand
vice grips
multitool usually has an awl for drilling holes or you can find a set of gimlets  old tech but great for drilling holes.