Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vohsjw01

Zombie Crusade II

16 posts in this topic

Hey Texas Bill, Oregon Chick, sorry I never post anymore, but my life is a hot mess with kids, life, work, hunting seasons holidays.....you know the routine. Anyway, I know you really liked Zombie Crusade when I released it last fall, and wanted to let you know that Zombie Crusade II: David's Journey, is now available on Amazon Kindle. If you have a desire to keep up with the sequels and stuff, find my author page on FB. If not, hope you are well and keeping an eye on the world.

JW

Yay! I needed more reading material for the weekend, so I've downloaded it now. Thanks for letting us know - and for making time to publish when you've had lots of other things on your plate. I thought the original premise for your storyline was fantastic and you executed it very well, so I'm excited to read more.

Thanks, JW. I bought the new one this morning and read a little at lunch. Great so far. David and I share a profession so I won't be making any jokes at his expense, but early on in the first book I thought he was kind of a tool for the way he treated Jack. I am glad to see he is getting a shot at redemption here. I know things get busy but don't be a stranger here!

Wow. This one was sure different from the first book, which is a good thing. The first book was great but I think I like Book II even more. David and his crew are under pressure pretty much the entire book and every page seemed to feature nail-biting tension. JW knows his firearms but this book really drives home how their use is a double-edged sword in the zombie holocaust. The combat scenes are INTENSE and reflect zombies just about as scary as you could imagine. If you haven't been reading these books, put them on your list, folks.

Completely agree with your assessment, Texas Bill. I liked the first book - Jack's prior experience with the zombies and the crazy, crazy level to which he was able to prep was fun to read and extraordinarily useful for my "if I won the lottery" daydreams - but I REALLY liked seeing how David and Christy and the rest had to learn as they went along. And I liked that the book showed how a mix of firearms and melee weapons make sense in a zombie apocalypse; the combat scenes were intense because they felt so darn real!

Consider me signed up for Book III, whenever you have a chance to write it!

I think ZCIII is slated to come out in March/April time frame so I guess JW is well into the story at this point.

Something I haven't mentioned before but I like the touch of spirituality in the story without it getting too heavy-handed, as well as the fact if God has a "chosen" zombie slayer in their midst, it is not your usually suspects. David is good at the fighting and gets better with practice but he freely admits that...well, if you read the book you know who it is (and I know you have, OC, so I wil avoid spoilers).

On a different topic, I finally finished Deluge of the Dead. Good book just had some really hard to stomach parts dealing with the Surf Nazis. I understand the likely reality of such nihilistic scum but I hate to read about it. A bullet is seriously too kind for this kind of predator.

I like the spiritual component, too. I think that there would be a LOT of soul-searching going on at TEOTWAWKI, whether it's by zombies or some other means. When a few people are tragically killed, we sometimes wonder about how God can let that happen. But if MILLIONS of people died - or worse, didn't quite die - and life in general became a struggle to survive with few of the blessings of your former life, how could you not have some serious concerns about mankind's place in the universe, the existence of God, whether your old moral code still was worthwhile, etc.? I don't see how a thinking person could avoid those kinds of musings, even if he or she had long held solid religious beliefs.

Encountering someone who seems to have a deep sense of right and wrong in the new world, someone who may be unexpectedly gifted in whatever it is that people need to survive going forward, would quickly become a source of hope - and therefore strength - to others. Finding something to believe in when everything else seems to have gone off the rails would be a true blessing. And if it was a person who wasn't some former commando who spent a few years as a ninja, it would be all the more inspirational! So yes, I agree that the spiritual component - especially when not tied to a lot of dogma - is a welcome, enriching addition to most apocalyptic novels.

Absolutely, ricksconnected!

Zombie Crusade by J.W. Vohs introduces you to Jack Smith, a former Army Ranger who gets a firsthand taste of a zombie outbreak while in Afghanistan. He recognizes that you have to destroy the zombie's brain quickly enough to survive the encounter, and upon his discharge from the military begins to prepare for what he suspects will be an inevitable worldwide outbreak. Becoming a professor of history, he builds a castle in rural NW Indiana, accepting that people will think he's a little odd as he works on developing the skills to make and fight with medieval style weapons. When the zombies come, Jack and a band of survivors tackle life in the NEW Zombie Age together.

Zombie Crusade II is about Jack's brother, David, who went the law school route. Climbing the partnership ladder with his girlfriend, Christy, David dismisses Jack's increasingly alarmist warnings as signs of eccentricity (or possibly madness that will need an intervention once he can schedule that in). Instead of heading to Jack's castle when the outbreak starts, David and Christy choose to wait it out and find themselves trapped in Cleveland, the lucky recipients of the world's best "zombie outbreak care package" ever sent (thanks to Jack). But before they can seek out his brother, they need to reach Christy's parents. Their journey to reunite with their families and find safety involves a trek through the midwest via various riverways. It also brings them into contact with other survivors, and provides them with a lot of training and practice in living - and fighting - in a world where zombies seem to be becoming better hunters.

Yes, what Oregonchick said. The melee weapons (axes, pikes, halberds and swords) might seem a little Mad Max, but the key to waxing zombies in this series is to do so quietly. These zombies key on sound, and gunshots bring them running from all over the countryside. Mr. Vohs has taken advantage of historical formations in his first book, but with a small group of survivors in book two that really doesn't work. If you like a lot of action, check these books out. Oh, and he is prior service and knows the difference between magazine and clip, which is a huge pet peeve of mine, and his characters actually have to change those magazines instead of having those "infinite repeaters" you will sometimes come across in fiction.

OC to the rescue!

these sound like good books indeed. has there been movies made of these books as well?

these might be right up my alley too. i need to be reading something OFF of the web lol.

Absolutely, ricksconnected!

Zombie Crusade by J.W. Vohs introduces you to Jack Smith, a former Army Ranger who gets a firsthand taste of a zombie outbreak while in Afghanistan. He recognizes that you have to destroy the zombie's brain quickly enough to survive the encounter, and upon his discharge from the military begins to prepare for what he suspects will be an inevitable worldwide outbreak. Becoming a professor of history, he builds a castle in rural NW Indiana, accepting that people will think he's a little odd as he works on developing the skills to make and fight with medieval style weapons. When the zombies come, Jack and a band of survivors tackle life in the NEW Zombie Age together.

Zombie Crusade II is about Jack's brother, David, who went the law school route. Climbing the partnership ladder with his girlfriend, Christy, David dismisses Jack's increasingly alarmist warnings as signs of eccentricity (or possibly madness that will need an intervention once he can schedule that in). Instead of heading to Jack's castle when the outbreak starts, David and Christy choose to wait it out and find themselves trapped in Cleveland, the lucky recipients of the world's best "zombie outbreak care package" ever sent (thanks to Jack). But before they can seek out his brother, they need to reach Christy's parents. Their journey to reunite with their families and find safety involves a trek through the midwest via various riverways. It also brings them into contact with other survivors, and provides them with a lot of training and practice in living - and fighting - in a world where zombies seem to be becoming better hunters.

No movies yet, but I think they would make for a pretty good jump to the big screen. Much better than World War Z, anyway. Don't get me wrong, WWZ trailer looks awesome but I can't figure out how they got from the book to the movie. I think they just keep the name, jettisoned the contents of the book and had some screenwriter bang out a script in a few weeks. As for the Zombie Crusade books, there are parts in the second one that remind me of those running ambush/fight scenes from The Last of the Mohicans. Classic.

No movies yet, but I think they would make for a pretty good jump to the big screen... As for the Zombie Crusade books, there are parts in the second one that remind me of those running ambush/fight scenes from The Last of the Mohicans. Classic.

I think you may be on to something, Texas Bill. I'd love to see these on the big screen! The fight scenes would be really amazing, and I could totally picture juxtaposing images of Jack-as-professor lecturing about medieval melee weapons with Jack-as-zombie-killer taking care of business while using them. And the irony of locals who may have laughed at Jack's castle showing up in later scenes as zombies themselves. In the sequel, not only would the running ambush/fight scenes be fantastic, it would be amazing to see how the filmmakers could show Luke in motion. Plus you'd have a chance to see some really cool images of destruction and maybe big explosions, like when some of the cities burn or when they are escaping the marina. Fun!

Wally, the World War Z trailer looks like it focuses on only a handful of characters and it shows you the zombie apocalypse happening in real time. The book World War Z is actually written as "an oral history of the zombie wars" and is a series of interviews with people all over the world from a future time when the zombie menace has been somewhat controlled, talking about a few key battles or experiences that took place. (For example, a woman talking about her family's escape north into Canada - where the government told them to go - only to learn that there were no provisions awaiting them there, so everyone was starving. Or a vignette about a group from the French Foreign Legion who were trapped in a fort and figured out a very daring way to escape while trapping thousands of zombies in the fort themselves. Or - my favorite - about a man who came across a blind Shaolin monk who was exceptionally gifted at dispatching the undead who stumbled into his forest garden.) The trailer doesn't really seem to reflect that kind of narrative for the movie. I'm sure it will be good, but I am doubtful it will in any way resemble the book.

Darn it Mr. T-Bill, here I'd gone and decided I liked you only to find out that you and David share a profession!! Oh well, my step-daughter does too, guess I need to make my peace with you folks.........

Anyway, I'm really happy that you and OC like this book! My wife and I thought it was better than the first as well, but I definitely am moving the series in directions a bit different than most stories found in the genre. Yes, David's Journey is taking place within his soul, as well as on the river--very, very cool that you picked up on that, because I wondered if readers would notice. And yes, my faith resounds through everything I write---I just can't help myself. Don't belong to a church and don't go to them; don't tell folks they're all doomed if they don't share my beliefs; truly do love the sinner while hating the sin; and most of all, I've felt the touch of the Holy Spirit repeatedly in my life. I believe that if all of the man-made light in the world went out, the light within humans that reflects the Spirit of God within us would grow brighter. So yeah, in ZC I expect at least some of our heroes to feel compelled to make war on the evil that has been unleashed by distinctly un-Godly men.

I am working on the next installment, and I feel extremely motivated these days. I've set a deadline of the end of February, and see no reason to change that at this time. More than likely, it will end up being March before it is available, because stuff always happens! But I will work hard to make my deadline.

Again, next to my wife you and OC were the first fans I became aware of in this world, and I truly do appreciate your support. I know that people are (rightfully) wary of seeing internet contacts become personal, but if either you or OC want me to send you signed copies of both books just give me an address and I'll have them in the mail the next day.

My heartfelt thanks and best wishes to you both!

JW, thank you for the kind words. As Oregon Chick stated, this would be a really cool film property. By the way, I have to admit getting a tear in my eye several times reading David's Journey, and the first was when David and Christy exchanged their vows to each other before heading out to face death for the first time. Those kinds on scenes are what sets this series apart from the nihilistic clattertrap we run into much of the time. As for your incredibly nice offer, I will PM you.