Sign in to follow this  
Dangerwolfe

Doomsday Toilet

Hi Folks,

In a major SHTF we will be holed up in a suburban setting (pop btw 5-10k varies winter/summer).

Even if we're 1.5 hours out from any major population centres a significant number of refugees will find their way here....so, if we can't go outside for a few weeks or more to use an outhouse, or if we are say "holding the fort" under attack/siege, then what?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wolfe

RV toilet maybe? They make a type that uses a battery and it incinerates the waste. They also make waste bags you could put in your toilet. Just make sure you have a trash barrel with a tight fitting lid for the waste.

RV toilet maybe? They make a type that uses a battery and it incinerates the waste. They also make waste bags you could put in your toilet. Just make sure you have a trash barrel with a tight fitting lid for the waste.

Thank Shawn, I'm thinking low-tech so trash bags may have to do.

I know if the grid goes down we will lose the sewage eventually. I'm thinking about putting a shitter by-pass to the storm drain that goes out in the ocean and is gravity fed. This way we can keep using the toilets/sinks in the house.....still need an alternative though.

Wolfe

Dangerwolf: I assume when you refer to being "holed up in a suburban setting" you mean being holed up in a house or office. If that is the case, then I believe that the majority of sewage systems providing sanitary waste removal capability in the US are gravity fed systems. That includes city sewage systems, septic systems, and outhouses. Modern toilets are activated by pouring water (flushing) down them. Therefore, it seems to me that if you have an existing water flushing toilet in your BOL then in a SHTF scenario where you are unable to leave your home or facility all you need to do is manually pour about 2 gallons of water into the bowl and activate the flush. Actually any kind of fluid (rain water, gray water, urine) could be used to flush a toilet. If your suburban setting is more of a rural setting and you have to hole up in a primitive cabin or cave then you may have to depend upon a similar system that NavyVet_77 refers to or the classic 5 gallon bucket and plastic sealable bags.

Dangerwolf: I assume when you refer to being "holed up in a suburban setting" you mean being holed up in a house or office. If that is the case, then I believe that the majority of sewage systems providing sanitary waste removal capability in the US are gravity fed systems. That includes city sewage systems, septic systems, and outhouses. Modern toilets are activated by pouring water (flushing) down them. Therefore, it seems to me that if you have an existing water flushing toilet in your BOL then in a SHTF scenario where you are unable to leave your home or facility all you need to do is manually pour about 2 gallons of water into the bowl and activate the flush. Actually any kind of fluid (rain water, gray water, urine) could be used to flush a toilet. If your suburban setting is more of a rural setting and you have to hole up in a primitive cabin or cave then you may have to depend upon a similar system that NavyVet_77 refers to or the classic 5 gallon bucket and plastic sealable bags.

Hi Captain Rob,

Thanks for your contribution. Yes, we do live in a suburban setting, but not a crowded one.

Yes, sewage systems are gravity fed but only to a point; they still need electrical power to operate the plants they dump into, and lift stations to keep the flow moving.....

"Pumping stations in sewage collection systems, also called lift stations, are normally designed to handle raw sewage that is fed from underground gravity pipelines (pipes that are laid at an angle so that a liquid can flow in one direction under gravity). Sewage is fed into and stored in an underground pit, commonly known as a wet well. The well is equipped with electrical instrumentation to detect the level of sewage present. When the sewage level rises to a predetermined point, a pump will be started to lift the sewage upward through a pressurized pipe system called a sewer force main or rising main from where the sewage is discharged into a gravity manhole."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumping_station

For those folks connected to city sanity systems, BE WARNED! When the power goes, your sh***er will soon follow..... toilets will indeed over-flow in many cases and there will be no running water to clean up the mess.....

Just imagine the health concerns and subsequent epidemics.....hence the reason I'm planning ahead.....

Wolfe

one more thing from a formr city sewer user and now septic tank user. PUT a shuttoff valve inline to your sewer system. SO WHEN THE SHTF it wont back up into your home. WE built our home and are now on septic. Please feel free to read my post on the ice storm debreif. My wife wanted city sewer, I wanted septic. We had an option at that time. For once I have been correct! My wife learned it again. We ahve gone through a tornado, 3 ices torms in 14 years and flooding. Only the flooding caused us to go to our back up to the septic: 5 gallon bucket with plastic bags! On septic we used our lake water to flush and rain water.