Sign in to follow this  
Dangerwolfe

A heavy concern

A heavy concern:

I recently had the pleasure of coming back to the USA with the wife and kids to visit my family. It’s not the first time I’ve returned from France but I get the same feeling of shock upon arrival. I’m greeted at the airport by a virtual sea of obese people! I don’t mean just chubby either, including many teens and children.

Statistically about 70% of the adult US population is over-weight including 35% obese…..

Rates of obesity and overweight in the USA:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

Rates of obesity by country:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

Of course this means that most of the folks on this forum are also overweight or obese.

Obviously, being overweight has nothing to do with anyone’s value as a person, intelligence, etc. and I know and work with many very heavy Americans that I truly respect for their skills….but it’s hard to believe anyone would choose to be obese/overweight over normal-sized and healthy.

I guess my question is what the hell is going on in America from your perspective?

What changed so drastically since I was a kid in the 1970s?

Wolfe

Comfort FOOD..................

JMO

#1...People put sugar in there mouth to feel better..Soda water!!=sugar=Fat ass........JMO

#2..People do not bust a sweat at anything.................and consider manuel labor "LOWER" class...

#3....Entertainment..............................Sit down and watch for 4 to 5 hours a day...or play your x box.............

these are JMO...

Im 6'4" tall I weigh 221 lbs....because its winter and I try to maintain my weight.....I dont eat white bread.NO soda!!!!

I work around the home and will be getting a bike this year/cutting back on my tabacoo use.. I streach every day!!before i do anything!Im old and I dont like to creak...

Over weight!Look at the soda hanging on the edge of the shoping carts!!

REALY...

If your over weight remember ...-1 lb = -4 lbs on your KNEES....Have you ever experenced a KNEE replacement?

just saying.....

Comfort FOOD..................

JMO

#1...People put sugar in there mouth to feel better..Soda water!!=sugar=Fat ass........JMO

#2..People do not bust a sweat at anything.................and consider manuel labor "LOWER" class...

#3....Entertainment..............................Sit down and watch for 4 to 5 hours a day...or play your x box.............

these are JMO...

Im 6'4" tall I weigh 221 lbs....because its winter and I try to maintain my weight.....I dont eat white bread.NO soda!!!!

I work around the home and will be getting a bike this year/cutting back on my tabacoo use.. I streach every day!!before i do anything!Im old and I dont like to creak...

Over weight!Look at the soda hanging on the edge of the shoping carts!!

REALY...

If your over weight remember ...-1 lb = -4 lbs on your KNEES....Have you ever experenced a KNEE replacement?

just saying.....

Matt, I'd have to agree with you from growing up in the US and living overseas here in Europe it's got to be the food.....here in France no one eats diet anything, few drink soft drinks and fast food is still relatively rare. My family eats it maybe 2X a year..... Junk food exists but you only eat it with drinks you have when company comes over.

With regards to manual labor; I told a very rich Frenchie I know about a US company that will actually come and shovel the dog shit off your yard once day. He got pretty upset and balked that if he was the richest man on the planet he would still shovel his own dog's shit!.....just a different mentality. Do they still have paperboys in the US? I can remember at 10 years old hauling big bags on my bike for a few hours a few times week. Lived on my bicycle as a kid, still ride nearly daily here just to get around town.

The information on diet and exercise is out there. Americans are smart people and we built a fabulous country, why the obesity epidemic?

Wolfe

BTW: 6'-4" and 221lb sounds well within the healthy "don't F-with me" range. I'm a strapping ;) 5'-10" myself and perhaps 175 lbs stripped and dripping wet.....

Correct me if im wrong...

i believe many European countries are still able to have those fresh morning farmers market type things that are nearly outlawed here in the US. Monsanto (GMO products) isnt as dominant there either. Sure... some chronic health conditions contribute to obesity, im not going to agrue that point. Being lazy is surely part of the problem but I believe that GMO food is as equaly guilty.

i know that in developing SE asian countries, the 'morning market' is the actual grocery store. Buying food in the franchise grocery store is much more expensive. THe little village i live in for a time was near the shore and fishing dock. THe wife and i would go every morning and get a fresh catch and whatever veggys we want. In the US, this sort of activity just wouldnt fly.

Correct me if im wrong...

i believe many European countries are still able to have those fresh morning farmers market type things that are nearly outlawed here in the US. Monsanto (GMO products) isnt as dominant there either. Sure... some chronic health conditions contribute to obesity, im not going to agrue that point. Being lazy is surely part of the problem but I believe that GMO food is as equaly guilty.

i know that in developing SE asian countries, the 'morning market' is the actual grocery store. Buying food in the franchise grocery store is much more expensive. THe little village i live in for a time was near the shore and fishing dock. THe wife and i would go every morning and get a fresh catch and whatever veggys we want. In the US, this sort of activity just wouldnt fly.

You are correct NV.

I can walk to the Farmer's Market in our town in 5 minutes. It's held twice a week and you can buy nearly any food item (bread, cheese, veg, fish, meat, shellfish,etc) except for milk. The in between days they hold a market in a town 15 minutes away by bicycle. My wife still prefers the supermarket......because she mistakenly believes it's cheaper...but I'm working on that.....

Also, France does not have the huge agra-buiness we do in the US so lots of small local family producers who run their own show and no immigrant labor in my area. Milk and cheese is not homogenized and no one is dropping over. Food is less processed and generally much more natural here.

You are also correct about GMO, people here refuse it. French take time to cook and don't eat so much pre-prepared stuff out of boxes and cans, you will not find much in the way of "Eggos" you pop in the toaster and the like.

Now, regarding soft drinks: the stuff is absolutely poison! French generally only keep it in tiny cans served when they have guest over for a drink. We have no and never had any soft drinks in at our house. 10 ounces a sugar per can.....

So I completely agree, there's more too it than just sitting on the couch all day munching chips.........a lot more.

Wolfe

You are right Dangerwolfe, majority of the population is over weight. People are in a rush, in their daily routine. They usually don't have time to cook their meals so the quick fix is to grab something outside. I'm 5'8" weigh 160-165lb. I workout 3-4 hours a day everyday, plus i jog with my dog about 8-10 km twice a day. The only exercise i see people getting is with their fingers, be it texting/video games. Things like soda-pop, chips, processed meats are all cr@p in my world, I do admit i do buy Mc Donald's french fries on the go once in a while.

Fast food because we're on the run all the time. I just had to totally change my eating habits because I was diagnosed with Diabetes type II.

I'm 6' and 214 but dropped 6 lbs right off the bat. Strange thing is, I'm eating better nutrition and enjoying it more.

Controlling portions was a big thing too. Instead of a half a giant pizza I eat two pieces with different items like chicken and have a salad.

To me a greesy cheeseburger was the best thing on the planet. Or Italian with lots of pasta..................

Change is good.

all this means to me is when the SHTF we will out live everyone else fat person does not eat for 30 days hungry

skinny kid that does not eat 29 days dead LOL

oh yea its so good in France and it is so crappy here we are so sorry we offended you I don't know why I am apologizing

our fearless leader already did that.

why don't you go to Africa and tell them your insulted because they are sooooo skinny and WHY they don't have fast food

thats why they are starving and that cloud over their heads is not a halo it's flies

heaven will not be filled with only skinny people hell won't be full of fat people and if all you see is the exterior I would not want to be you.

Americans fat azz and all give more charity of blankets clothing food medical equipment and services than the rest of the world combined we lead the world in food production heavy specialized equipment for any and everything,

All countries buy food from us when their world turns to crap our hospital ship shows up and our planes to air drop food and

medicine and air drop doctors and search dogs with equipment and of course some of them are fat / overweight.

hell our dogs are overweight compared to others.

France well they like to tell everyone how they should do things so what your telling me is there are absolutely no fat people in France none zero personally I think they got sick and tired of listening to the drone of crap and left.

my beef is that the FDA and monsanto seem to be acting unilaterally to create a mono-agra food source.... which opens the door for a crazy number of food born problems.

Indeed NV,

If you really want to find out how insane it's become then read the book Fast Food Nation:

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Nation-Dark-All-American/dp/0547750331

I read it about 10 years ago and rarely ate at McDs or any other garbage pit since, but the book goes way deep into the history of agra-business in the US, fast food advertising targeting kids, etc. al

The author had SEVEN lawyers review his facts before he published it so no body can touch him.

The info's out there it's just most people are indifferent to it.

Regards,

Wolfe

Good point Wolfe! (long time by the way) Starting to be a problem here in Norway to, myself included, 15 pounds less would make me a lot cuter;-)

Stopped smoking, love food, less training and yes; that bloddy soda should have bin banned!

I'm doing my part for the country! I've lost 26 pounds so far this year! I'm 44 years old and just realized that I can't eat like I did when I was a defensive tackle on the high school football team. I'm already back into some of my old blue jeans and shirts, and well on my way to fitting into the rest of them.

My wife ohas lost 86 lbs in the last 18monthes, she has done it through willpower, and eating better, I'm very proud of her, now to me. I oneed to loss at least 60 lbs my self Hoss I hear ya on the eating I'm 40 and I still eat like a 18 year old farm boy,defensive nose tackle. For me it's not junk food, soda ya, but I love real food, meat, potatoes, veggies....the problem is the size of my plate could feed a small developing country! If I don't get some weight off my knees soon its going to be to late.

Ditto DonDon, Portion control is the key. Protein also helps. It'll keep you full and helps muscle growth. I also started eating my meals on salad plates. Makes the meal look bigger! I jump started by drinking 6 servings of sugar free Carnation instant breakfast every day. Top it off with a cup of beef boullion for dinner. Believe it or not, I wasn't hungry. I did that for about a week a dropped 11 pounds. Now I make sure I get 70 grams of protein per day in a couple of skim milk protein shakes. I drink a lot of water and a lot of juice. For dinner I have 2-3 ounces of salmon or 4 ounces of soup. I've been keeping my calories under 1000 per day. I love Braunschweiger. it's got a lot of protein and not bad on calories. Sometimes that's dinner. It helps if you set a goal, or so they say. My goal is to be able to survive and thrive on low calories when the whole workd has gone ape because their BigMacs are 10 or 12 bucks. Just pretend you're on the TV show, "The Walking Dead". Also gives you a good chance to test your BOB or GHB preps to make sure you can live on em as long as possible.

Good point Wolfe! (long time by the way) Starting to be a problem here in Norway to, myself included, 15 pounds less would make me a lot cuter;-)

Stopped smoking, love food, less training and yes; that bloddy soda should have bin banned!

Hi Ranger,

Hope you are doing well there in Norway. I spent 1982 as a teenager in Danmark and everyone was amazingly thin compared to the US, especially the young folks (like myself at the time). I remember getting on the plane to Copenhangan and all the Dansk girls leaving the US complaining about how much wieght they gained, YET they were all still so slim and cute! LOL!

But back in 82' hamburger places/fast food in Danmark were very rare, junkfood consisted of wienerbrot (Dansish pastries) and few drank soft drinks daily. Danes at this time just ate their traditional diet.

Went back again after 22 years and WOW had things changed (for the worse)!

The lesson is that where ever you are from, eat what your ancestors ate at 50 years ago and you will most likely return to a normal weight.

Wolfe

I'm doing my part for the country! I've lost 26 pounds so far this year! I'm 44 years old and just realized that I can't eat like I did when I was a defensive tackle on the high school football team. I'm already back into some of my old blue jeans and shirts, and well on my way to fitting into the rest of them.

Good for you Hoss!

The idea with weight is just to get into the normal weight range, some body fat is normal and healthy. It's been said that a lot of British PT instructors dropped over during the Falklands conflict because their bodies were too lean to handle the cold.

"Not all...were physically capable of enduring the long marches with heavy loads which were constant features of the Falklands War. An interesting and quite surprising occurrence was the number of physical training cadre that fell out of the marches. In garrison these cadre ran company physical training. It was determined that some of these cadre were unable to complete the force marches with such heavy loads because they were not able to maintain a high-protein diet. The British realized that the intent of physical training is not to develop professional athletes or weight lifters. The purpose of physical conditioning is to develop combat stamina". [20]

More here on combat fitness, when you think about it, probably the most useful type of fitness for survival purposes.

http://www.combatreform.org/apft.htm

Wolfe

Wolfe

looks like I need to get in shape!!!!!

"The purpose of physical conditioning is to develop combat stamina".

with everything happening in the country...it would be best to start a regular routine ....eating small portions/regular walking of a mile aday at least,carrying the back fully loaded for an hour a day to start..

this is for everyone not just you yound farts..LMAO

ok Im cutting back on tobacco use..walking more everyday..

WHAT are you going to do?besides watch the very nice French girl eat MM???

looks like I need to get in shape!!!!!

"The purpose of physical conditioning is to develop combat stamina".

with everything happening in the country...it would be best to start a regular routine ....eating small portions/regular walking of a mile aday at least,carrying the back fully loaded for an hour a day to start..

this is for everyone not just you yound farts..LMAO

ok Im cutting back on tobacco use..walking more everyday..

WHAT are you going to do?besides watch the very nice French girl eat MM???

LOL! Yes, she makes me want to eat a whole bag myself!

Combat stamina seems is about load carrying ability for long distances and sprints loaded down.

Well, personally I integrate fitness into my daily routine. No sense wasting two-hours a day in gym.....

Travel: I travel often on foot, sometimes running through airports, metros, and trains holding, lifting,dragging and carrying a 40lb+ suitcase up and down stairs, etc.

Gardening/construction: I do a lot of shoveling, digging, and carrying heavy awkward objects

Free weights training: I have a set of dumbbells and 150 lbs of weights. I lift them on and off, usually 6 months a year, but never more than 45mins at a time but always heavy. Have a boxing bag too that I hit on occasion with fists or a baton/stick

Bicycle: I take the kids to and from school on bike and often take the bike in lieu of the car because everything in my town is no more than a 15 minute ride. I go mountain biking in the forest on occasion

Surfing: during the summer I surf whenever possible.

If something is missing I'd say it's the sprints with weight....other than chasing the plane or train I am late for.....

That's the main stuff anyway.....I eat what I want and don't gain any weight.

Regards,

Wolfe

Rod's my hero! I started at 314lbs around Christmas. Heaviest I've ever been and I was embarrased by it. I mean, I'm a Haas and that's where I got my nickname Hoss, but I grew into it! This morning I was at 281.2lbs.. The kicker is that the less you eat, the less you get used to eating, the less you need to eat. I guess the stomach really does shrink, but I never really tested the theory until now. Tonight was the first time I've eaten bread in over a month, just a bite! I haven't had a Coke since New Year's Eve and I took a sip of one today and it just tasted like sugar water. Blech! It's getting easier to eat healthy! My goal is 200lbs although all the charts say I should way between 178-186lbs. I'd be a beanpole with a HUGE melon noggin! Two hundred will be skinny enough.

I sprained my ankle at w ork today though, so I'm kinda worried about the effect it'll have on me. The ankle has a broken bone in it since 1995. Just never healed and floats around. Only cure is surgery and six weeks laying on my ass.. Nope!

Down to 275 this morning. Only 75 more to go! The walking/running program starts this weekend and the wife is searching Craig's list for some Bowflex stuff now so I can build back in some muscle. The ankle has recovered and my constant back pain is gone. I'm sleeping better and I think the protein seems to help keep my stamina up throughout the day. I'm eating very little red meat, mostly chicken if I actually eat food instead of protein shakes.