Sign in to follow this  
exit

Prepper Communities

Do any of you belong to prepper communities? I was interested in finding out more about any groups that have started a community. I'd be interested in joining a group or learning from one on how to set one up.

I realize one of the best bets is to just approach neighbors and start up a conversation. On the other hand, some people think preppers are a little crazy and there is definitely a stigma on people who have a bunch of food stored and have a bunch of guns. I'm looking to break that stigma in the future when I own property or to buy within a community who takes prepping seriously.

sticky situation.

when you start a community like this, everybody knows where supplies are, including the folks you asked

that turned you down for the community. i think a forum is the better bet for a community.

X2.....Totaly Agree.

Remember, in a community, you are not in charge! The way your preps are used are no longer based on just your decisions. Also, you've lost any semblance of being gray. I am not against a community that preps but I don't see that as the same thing as a "prepper community". Most of these communities will end up as some type of federal/dictator/tribal system. If you have good leaders, well and good but if you don't - your hosed. Think of the consequences to various tribal groups whose leaders got it wrong - right up to and including Saddam.

A community of individuals who all happen to be prepared is more like a confederacy. We each own what we have but come together for the common defense and general welfare. Delicate balance that.

Shawn, that ANTS site is really interesting! Thanks for posting the link.

Glad to help. I actually found it on another site. I like the idea behind it, just not sure if it would really work.

Exit: Although not a prepper community I belong to and participate with the Kentucky Preppers Network (zone 6). KPN is part of the American Preppers Network. We are a bunch of like-minded individuals interested in prepping, survivalism, minimalism, and homesteading. We meet at a public location (normally a restaurant) once a week to discuss various topics. We try to stay gray. None of us are on a first name basis with one another that I'm aware of (we use our avatar names - e.g., Capt Rob, USMC93, Big John); none of us know where the others live; none of us know to what level we are actually prepped. It's a good way for us to exchange information, experiences, ideas and learn about what's happening in our area related to prepper-topics. For example, at the last get-together I learned of a beef farmer who was culling part of his herd due to rising grain prices and was selling beef at $2.80/pound. That was a good deal and it helped me to learn more about canning meat as I "beefed" up my prepper pantry. I'm sure there are risks with meeting face-to-face with one another but the benefits seem to have outweighed the risks so far.