Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

long gun to keep in the vehicle for trips

I wanted to get some people's ideas on what long gun is best to pack along on trips. I don't leave my home state that often, and when I do it is usually for my annual muley, elk, or antelope hunt. On those trips where I'm not packing a hunting rifle though I still like to have a long gun with me when I'm away from home. Often my other long trips are to go see one of my college friends and we end up going on an unplanned coyote or other hunt. I'm a good shot with a pistol, but I'm much more comfortable with a long gun in my hands and more capable with it. In the county I live in I wouldn't get a strange look from law enforcement for having an AR sitting in my passenger seat because predator hunting is extremely popular, and the AR's are extremely popular for predator hunting. The game warden and cops know me and always ask me how many coyotes I've gotten so far on the year. Further from home though I worry more about people getting the wrong impression seeing a rifle in the truck. I always used to take my 7615, but with the current situation I don't think I want to take anything with an extended magazine or big mag well. I like to pack a rifle where I can reach it and not under or behind the seat (which are full of other stuff anyway) but don't want to have a gun that immediately puts people on guard when they see it.

I'm thinking of picking up a beat-up old 30-30 to take on trips. Probably a Marlin so I can put my 1-4x scope on it and shoot the Leverevolution pointed bullets, should be good on anything to 200yds. My truck is a big diesel with a flatbed, looks like the working ranch truck it is. I'm thinking that maybe a truck like that with a beat up old lever gun in it wouldn't raise as many eyebrows as a more tactical looking gun. A 30-30 with those bullets will be ok to hunt coyotes or hogs with and still penetrate barriers well if I need to use it for defense. In my state it is legal to have a rifle magazine loaded as long as there isn't a round chambered so a lever would give me the ability to quickly load the gun. A Remington 760 pump in 243 - 30-06 would also be a good choice but a little longer and less handy unless I got a carbine version. My travels have never taken me east of Missouri, so I'm mostly out where guns are more generally accepted.

What do you all think, am I fooling myself that this is a good idea?

a pump Shotgun is the least offensive and it does not have to be loaded cant in most places but you can drop one in

and your off and running where as a single shot or an auto a bit of fiddling with.

some states do not allow for a firearm of any sort to be in the cab of the vehicle if they do some do not allow ammo

in the same space or loaded in the firearm.

so you would have to check laws of all the states your going through {isn't that grand}.

The 30 30 sounds good and you could get an overhead rack if you wanted a little less visible way of hauling it. You might also consider a flare gun as it is not considered a firearm in most areas. A round from it would distract the zombies long enough fro you to gain the tactical high ground with the 30 30.

my point was a shotgun is better than a semi or lever due to amount of projectiles and spread so if you have a problem in motion

it is a better defensive tool against road blocks and rolling stops and will remove a tire from the rim unlike a hand gun or a rifle.

a slug will disable a vehicle faster than any other weapon.

a 18 to 20 inch barrel and you can still operate it within a vehicle the head liner may look like hell but it does work.

I'm stuck right between snake and catfish and no I'm not fishing my favorite slough, I really am torn by wanting a long arm in my truck (SUV) but can't decide of I want the range of my .30-30 or the power and intimidation factor of my tactical 12ga either way they would be in the same scabbard and the same spot ( across the back floorboard), and I do travel into Illinois some and having to pull out a long arm and unload it on the side of the road or getting caught with it in IL ( where lets not forget a .30-30 is not even a legal hunting round) not to mention the abuse a truck gun gets has stopped me thus far but I really do think on it often.

The shotgun is a good idea for sure. I personally want the range of the rifle though. As I mentioned, it may get called into action for an impromptu coyote or hog hunt when I arrive at a destination and a scoped 30-30 with the pointed Leverevolution bullets doubles the effective range of a shotgun with slugs. I want to stay away from tactical looking guns so that rules out my AR, 7615, and 870 with it's mag extension and 6 position stock. I'm wanting to pack something that looks like it belongs in the ranch truck and doesn't raise eyebrows. A levergun in the work truck of a guy with boots, wranglers, and cowboy hat driving should fit the bill. A pump rifle with a wood stock might also work and that would let me have a detachable magazine and longer range cartridge.

hey take both then your not "out gunned"

I have not found pumps or semi automatics hunting rifles to be very accurate and there are bolt rifles with removable magazines.

A good bolt rifle with a medium barrel taper good iron sights and for me a synthetic stock wood is beautiful but it's not for outside

.storage.

It will give you a minute of angle per hundred yards 1 inch @100 5nch @500 with good optics and rings that allow use of iron sights.

that could be brought down I have not seen too many pump or semi auto "deer" rifle do that IMO

Out of curiosity, why stay away from the tactical looking guns?

If you're looking for a new purchase, I have to highly recommend this one

930%20SPX.jpg

Mossberg 930 SPX. Semi-automatic, 7 + 1 capacity, available in 12 gauge and available with a pistol grip stock if you so desire. It is a very, very smooth shooting firearm and will handle buckshot, birdshot, slugs and even the low-recoil variety favored by my work. A relatively simple gun rack like this http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=706661&cImage=s7_220670_999_01 will allow you to store it in your vehicle.

hey take both then your not "out gunned"

I have not found pumps or semi automatics hunting rifles to be very accurate and there are bolt rifles with removable magazines.

A good bolt rifle with a medium barrel taper good iron sights and for me a synthetic stock wood is beautiful but it's not for outside

.storage.

It will give you a minute of angle per hundred yards 1 inch @100 5nch @500 with good optics and rings that allow use of iron sights.

that could be brought down I have not seen too many pump or semi auto "deer" rifle do that IMO

They have really improved some of the auto rifles in recent years. Most AR rifles I've shot are capable of sub MOA groups, shot a few BAR's that do the same. I've owned and shot around a half dozen pumps over the years and none of them were worse than a 1.5" gun for 3 shot groups at 100yds from a bench. That said, for most hunting I'm with you on bolt rifles. All the game on my wall have been shot with bolt rifles in 264, 7mm, or 300 magnum. I mostly use 204, 243, or 6mm rifles for predators and varmints at least outside 22 range. Nothing wrong with a good bolt gun at all. My 264 is set up with a ballistic turret matched to the handload and range, plus MOA windage marks that combined with my wind drift chart let me reach out to 500yds with confidence provided I can find a steady enough rest.

Have you considered something like the KelTec sub 2000? When its folded, most people who don't know I have it don't even know its a firearm. Also, if you have a Glock 17, 19, 22 or 23 you can find one that pairs with your magazines. I believe they also make sub 2000s that accept S&W 4006 magazines and Beretta 9mm magazines, but I'd have to review the website again.

Yeah, I really wish I'd have known about them a few years ago when they were $300 instead of now. I still want a gun capable of an impromptu hog or coyote hunt when visiting the friends at my destination so I want the power and reach of a rifle cartridge. The SU16 offers that from Kel Tec, but has a more tactical look to it. I have a nice accurate AR but I want something less tactical looking and cheaper for the truck. I'm thinking if I keep looking I can find a beat up 30-30 for $150 or so. Battered wood, surface rust or light pitting is fine as long as it is functional and the bore is bright and accurate.

OK here comes the argument a 45ACP if you have ever fired one will barley go 250 yards and not with any accuracy

so a 45 ACP carbine is out.

when i say semi auto i mean like the remington 760 many military rifles will shoot one hole i was not including those.

any firearm needs to have a minute of accuracy to 1.5 inches @ 100 yards and a minimum of a 30 caliber.

12ga because i like as much shot as i can get a kick reducer will give you a 20 ga kick

so a good lever rifle and a good pump shotgun will put you at a distinct advantage with a complimentary side arm

a 30-30 is pretty powerful the 12 ga has an advantage for fowl and small game a 22 pistol I like a convertible 22 / 22mag

and there is nothing you cannot hunt and have a good time.

one gun for defense and hunting a shotgun w/ a rifled barrel and the proper slugs 100 + yard shots are easy buck shot and bird

do OK having done a lot of hunting unless your going after an exotic 100 to 150 yards is a long shot now there are antelope

and big horn sheep and elk in areas where you need a longer shot but 30-30 ain't going to cut it there either.

it is all bout the game and distance a shot gun will handle most all hunting up to 150 yards with slugs new slugs are amazing

makes you want to scope your shotgun.

if you shoot it with 3 ---1 oz slugs and it doesn't die run because your a lousy shot

and from muzzle to 25 to 50 to yards for a clean kill with 00 buck shot need to pattern your gun and use proper choke

with bird shot 40 yards max smaller the shot shorter the distance lighter shot looses its speed faster thus not as effective

you need to pattern your gun and suite the choke for this also.

shotguns are the most misunderstood and versatile and deadly weapon but it need to be understood and chokes are like having

extra barrels.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/dope_on_chokes.htm

people do not like them now but a poly choke was a great thing in the day ugly as hell but gave you all the choke you wanted

http://www.cabelas.com/barrels-chokes-poly-choke.shtml

I have heard from a guy who knows a guy,, not that i would ever do anything like this but this guy keeps a ruger mini-14 with the extra mags in his truck especially since he works about 45 miles from home. its rugged, uses a standard common military caliber, and is just a well built and not a super expensive rifle.

I have to admit as much i love the mini-14 i hate the mini-30. i had one briefly.. and i say briefly ...even on the bench the groupings at 100 yards were horrible by any standards. it just felt like it crappily put together ..maybe it was just that rifle but i got rid of it quickly. if im going with that round I just as soon get an AK and use it. much more robust rifle than the mini-30 in my opinion. heck My AKs shoot better than that thing ever did anyway

Snake you can't have everything for me a truck gun is a 70% get me out of the s417 and home and 30% anything else so I wouldnt be probably engaging outside 100 yards, so knockdown and durability are the top two assets in a truck gun for me in my daily life if I'm going to the old homestead or out to a few of my friends house I can and do change up.

Wardog513, I've never owned either Ruger so I don't know. I do wonder about the ammo you fed the Mini-30. Some of the eastern block stuff is so bloody inconsistent that I have no way of knowing how the gun shoots! I had some old Chinese stuff that went from barely clearing the barrel to almost an explosion! Three inch vertical was not uncommon at 50 yards from a gun that was very solid with American made ammo. I'm not saying you're wrong about the Ruger, I'm just suggesting it may not be a completely accurate picture of the Mini-30's ability with consistent ammo.

What is missing from the discussion is 'mission description'. If you're out in west Texas, 300 yards is standard and a 7mm Rem mag sounds good. If you're in the 'big thicket' country, anything you see will be in shotgun range. With this political climate, a lever gun carbine is a fast, easy to handle rifle caliber (I do like the Marlin 30-30) that is so ubiquitous that you aren't going to get arrested as a potential mass murderer! The Leverevolution ammo is great stuff and makes the 30-30 perform above its normal level of performance. I've tried and stock it, by the way. Pistol caliber carbines are good inside of cities. I'm not sure ANY 'assault rifle' (yeah, I KNOW, but you are so evil if you have one of those bad looking rifles!) will fit the mission profile just because of the political climate. You might also consider the Gunsite Scout, bolt action in .308. That is a bit expensive to leave in a vehicle. The thing about a lever gun is they are not expensive (as guns go), have been doing the job since the late 1860's, and do not trigger all of the idiocy from the PC crowd. I KNOW, I know but, face it, we have to survive in a PC world before we get to the point of a SHTF where it won't matter.

So, what's the mission profile and the country look like?

Just my not so humble opinion.

the thing with that mini-30 was that i was shooting the same ammo from my AK and the groupings were much tighter than the mini-30 that and i dont like the ruger policy of having its own different magazine ( yes that is true of the mini-14 also) but i already had a shit ton of mags for it. I do agree with what is your primary use of a trunk gun is going to be for. for me it will be to get from an urban environment where i work back to a rural environment where i live. So i need a combination of discretion and firepower. for me the ruger fits that bill. with its wooden standard rifle stock yet being able to carry a 30 or 40 rd magazine I wouldn't stand out as fast as someone carrying a "evil black rifle" (insert rolly eyes) and it carries a common round used by many rifles.

for someone else it may bot be as good or the best like you say in TX where it is wide open yet fairly rural except for the cities a lever action may be the best bet. I have a friend who carries a lever action in .44mag as their trunk gun which for them is the best option.

Mission statement is capable of hogs or coyotes to 200yds on an inmpromptu hunting excursion while still being capable of being used as a defensive tool if the need arises. Also I don't want the tactical look of my 7615 or AR and want a cheaper gun just in case it is stolen. That's why I'm thinking lever action 30-30 with leverevolution ammo, or a 760 pump rifle in 243 or 270 win.

hey 45-70 shoots an equated .410 shell make your own shot shells with 45-70 hulls and full power buffalo bore shells or low power

standard shells it is a great reloaders gun and you can get them in both lever actions and single shot

have seen them in side by side {expensive} but cool safari factor if you want look like Philip Percival of darkest Africa

numerous loadings from 300 grain 500 grain jacketed to 300 to 600 grain cast bullets

you will never feel under gunned but be prepared for recoil there are a lot of solutions for this.