Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

long gun to keep in the vehicle for trips

catfish hunter

Hey it is yours replace what ever it takes to make it YOURS as your the one you need to please

I have replaced most every front sight with a Marbles 1/8th inch bead and I carry replacement ones in the stock

a buck horn sight and a bead and @ 25 yards I shoot dimes off fence posts.

as far as the front sight you can use homogenized solder it has a very low melt point use soap stone to stop solder from

creeping, and figure out what front sight you want if it has a dovetail you can use a blank and fill it in and then use the solder

to place your new sight.

I have seen some odd configurations but they worked for the user and that is all that counts

Well as I've tested further the Rossi 92 357 lever action I recently purchased has proven to be a shooter but very picky on ammo. The HSM 158gr JHP 357 load shoots great but I can't find any of it to purchase. It was the first ammo I tried and led to the good reviews I posted earlier. The more different 125gr and 158gr 357 loads I try the more finicky I find the rifle is on feeding ammo. After shooting more the 38 loads I have tried all function fine but have a much different POI than the load it is sighted in with. Other 357 loads don't feed worth a darn after trying several other brands.

While the Rossi is visiting the gunsmith for a tune-up I picked up a beater gun of a Marlin 1894C in 357 reasonable. I didn't buy it to look at, so a little cosmetic damage isn't an issue for me and the bore/function is supposed to be very good. With all the quality control issues on newer Marlin's I read about an older version looked like the way to go. Anyway, here is what I am thinking about for upgrades. I purchased it cheap enough that I can afford to do a little upgrading over a little time.

The gun will probably replace the Rossi as my GHG or get home gun. I plan to carry it in my vehicle unloaded and locked in a case but still available to complement my revolver if necessary. A gun like this is handy for many things around the ranch or elsewhere in a light easy handling package. I am hoping it will feed light 38's for small game or heavy 357's for more power reliably. If I end up using 2 loads I will have 3 sighting systems to accommodate that. While I like the clean lines of a traditional lever gun as much as anyone, I plan to modify this one to better fit it's intended use.

1. Check-up by the gunsmith, trigger job and remove any burrs found in action, make sure it feeds a variety of loads

2. Install XS systems scout rail and ghost ring sight system, zero iron sights for 357's

3. Install Leupold illuminated Prismatic 1x14mm scope in quick release mount on rail and zero (works w/o batteries and I already have it)

4. Accuracy testing, find a good heavy 357 and light 38 load.

5. Install small pistol laser on rail in front of Leupold scope and zero for small game load, learn hold difference between scope zero and laser POI at ranges from 10-35yds to retain effectiveness if/when batteries fail on laser.

6. If the gun passes all these tests, strip it down and send it for the metal to be Cerakoted and have the wood treated with a good sealant coat

7. Keep forever, won't ever get my money back but should be great for what it's for.

I just got back from a two week vacation. I had my .30-30 to give to my son in another state but I also had a .45-70 Marlin for my round trip use. While I was in Wisconsin I picked up a replacement for the .30-30 so I had 2 long guns the whole trip. The only issue was in the commie state of Chicago - everything had to be broken down, put away, unloaded, unavailable while in that cursed region. I do not understand why a citizen would just choose to become a serf; God help us all.

Got the Rossi back today and ran a box of mixed ammo through it. The gunsmith found some poorly machined parts with slivers of metal still hanging off of them. Once he removed them and stoned everything the trigger is much better and the function was perfect with every ammo I tried. I was busting beer cans full of water out to 50yds offhand with a couple different brands of 158gr FMJ and JHP loads. Picked up the Marlin today also so that project can start. I am looking for places to Cerakote it and then I will get the wild west happy trigger kit and install it and the rail and ghost ring sights. 357 lever guns are a lot of fun.

On that Marlin the lever has a sharp edge it cuts into the shell carrier look for 2 grooves if you have them you

can use a wire feed welder spot weld and file to original contour and stone the sharp edge on the lever to a radius

and that will stop the further cutting of the lever into the carrier FYI

I ended up with a milspec 8MM Mauser and with a 220 grain bullet it would kill a truck.

it is a late wwII model but has sharp rifling and no rust and a OK looking laminated stock

tested it it shoots to point of aim at 300 could not find anywhere with a longer range close by.

After re reading the posts Capt Bart of course nailed it "MISSION STATEMENT"

So with that in mind I choose the 12 gauge pump if your driving your not able to effectively aim and distances will be

within 100 feet and you are hoping to stop a vehicle with it as well as there may be multiple attackers in one vehicle

I would go for a butt stock or receiver shell holder.

Or a semi auto carbine like the SKS or similar .

either can or are shot enough to function in a vehicle neither have protruding magazines remember you may have

a steering wheel in your way.

Power minimum of 30-30 I do lean toward the SKS as it holds 10 rounds and stripper clips make it easy to reload

but I do like the power of a 12 for front wheels and sheet metal, I do not advise any extensions on shotgun magazines.

All of you have seen the running gun battles with vehicles in videos pistols are not effective.

slugs are best on wheels and radiators double ought or number 1 buck for everything else but anything is better than nothing.

there are many carbines that will fill the bill but we were originally fixed on price and power and effectiveness

I know that a BM59 or a Valmet or H&K 91 with a 10 round mag and folding stock will work but they are not cheap

not readily available in crap condition that you would not mind having in your vehicle in damp and changing conditions

Both of my choices have the power capacity easy to reload the pump can be loaded on the fly and in between shots.

being a redneck of some notoriety I have used and love the replacement bench seat cover for a truck it has pockets

so you can carry all those little extra's for that next running gun battle your in to.

I think I'd go with a solid 12 pump with a pistol grip six position stock. Backed with a dependable pistol you'd be well provided for. Mostly defensive, but that is the message you want to be broadcasting. But I live in an urban area that is over a hundred miles deep. Sight lines rarely extend over 300 yards and unless it is under 50 I'll try for evasion over engagement. Hog or coyote out to 100 yards would have to do.

hard to go wrong with 12 gauge a sub caliber conversion or a hand full allows use of rifle and pistol rounds one at a time and short range as they are not rifled

generally but at 25 yards you should be able to hit a 5 gallon bucket lid and that is good to go I think they offer them in 22 mag up to rifle like 30-30 or 45-70