Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

What Trumps?

So we have the 2nd Amendment, which is in our federal/national constitution.

Then, we have the right of a publicly or privately-owned place to post a sign that a person cannot carry a weapon on the premises.

Does one trump the other? Why? This has always confused me.

And, if you DO carry on a "no carrying" premises are you breaking the law or just breaking that company's HR policy/business practice?

I guess I'm asking, what right does a business extablishment or meeting place have to tell a carrier of a firearm that s/he cannot carry there?

It's their private property so it's their call. At least that's the way I've always figured it. I know different states have different rules and the required signs in some states must be post the code or some such. Do a web search for each state you're interested in and you should be able to make sure. All I've searched is Bama, Florida,Mississippi and Louisiana.

In Texas is they want to bar you from carrying your pistol in their store or business, They are required to post a sign with one inch letters quoting the section of Vernons Civil Statues that relates to their <the owners> right to bar CHL holders to carry in their establishment near the entrance.

If you ignore the sign and carry in their establishment then yes, you are in violation of the law. If your company has a 'no guns' policy then yes you are also in violation of your companies policy and subject to termination.

However, here in Texas should your employer have a 'no guns' policy you are still allowed to carry to your place of employment and leave your pistol secured in your vehicle. As long as you leave it in your car you are still covered by the law, even though you are on their property and parked in an area that they provided <an employee parking lot>...as with all things there are certain areas where this won't apply. Its your job to know them...

In Missouri it is a violation of the law and is a fine I believe $100 on your first offense, and on your second offense your CCW is suspended, if a place wishes to have a no CCW rule they must post at all entrance a sign with lettering one inch or more and the sign must. Be 11x14

Also here we have the castle doctrine in effect stating that you have the same rights in your car as you do in your home, so you can not be barred from carrying a legally possessed weapon in your car on any parking lot other than a few goverment faculitys, this includes, businesses, places of employment, school, hospitals, jails, courts,arenas, and all this without even havering to have a CCW.