Sign in to follow this  
catfish hunter

favorite AR accessories

I just joined the ranks of people owning an AR carbine. I wasn't planning to buy one, but my FFL I had one that just came in and he agreed to sell me at the price he would have charged for it a month ago. I'm a good loyal customer, plus a neighbor and friend and it was his way of saying thanks. I already checked the online auction site and could make $300-400 instantly off what I'm paying for it so even if I don't like the gun it is a good investment. I don't plan to get rid of it though.

Anyway it is a 16" carbine with a full top rail, 6 position stock, and no iron sights. I already have a few mags for my Remington 7615. I do a lot of predator calling and plan to use this rifle for that in some situations, plus have it on hand as a defensive tool. What are some favorite attatchments or modifications you have done to your rifles I might want to consider?

Here is my list so far:

Jard single stage 2lb trigger

mount & rings for Leupold 4.5-14x40 VH reticle scope (getting tomorrow)

2nd sling swivel for Rapid Pivot bipod attachment

Sig compact light/laser mount (designed for pistols, but I really don't plan to use it much)

Magpul composite flip down back-up sights (plan to remove the scope and dial them, then put it back on and dial it)

Please feel free to call me a dumb*** for any of these and give me your opinion on how it should be set up. I'm knowledgable about guns, but this is only my 2nd AR and the first was a heavy barrelled varmint model for prairie dogs. This is new territory for me.

I got mine several years ago and i bought it as a basic carbine then i had a rail system put on even though im really not into forward grips and lights (as a Marine i was taught to shoot tight and keep my forward hand tight into the mag well for support and i don't like flashlights because they give away your position) But i also put a 2 stage trigger on it which was well worth the investment, I replaced the standard collapsible stock with a VLTOR 6 position one as I like the contour on them for cheek weld. I replaced the standard grip with a ERGO grip, replaced the standard charging handle with a VLTOR gunfighter extended charging handle(well worth it with my big fingers) replaced the birdcage flash hider with a vortex flash hider and for sights i bought the MAGPUL BUIS as they are the cheapest but very easy to use and still well made and an EOTECH optic( i wanted an ACOG but those things cost as much as a rifle) and I added a rear sling mount I got from midwest industries on the base of the stock so I could attach a single point sling as the one on the end of the stock was too far back. Thing runs like a champ. and is my go to rifle in the event of well what we are all here for :).

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to list the single point sling, that will definitely be something I add. I'm not much on lights or lasers either but I think I will still get one for this rifle. If shtf I could see it being useful for hunting when the game laws no longer apply. A guy could feed himself for a while if he got under a turkey roost tree at night with a set-up like that.

I've run a single point sling for a long time, and they're great for momentary use of your rifle. I obtained mine, for work, before most PDs start issuing them or equipping cars with them. The single point sling is good for clearing a house, for example. If you plan on being mobile with it they're not that great. For example, if you were going to spend your day with the rifle and do a bit of walking or especially any form of climbing then I feel you're better served with a three point sling. I've got one on my "tacical" shotgun now, and it's much more supportive than the single point. Now, I just need to replace the one on my AR.

Having said that a couple of my preferred accessories are Magpul Pmags and lights. With respect to the Pmags I like that they're plastic and more ergonomic. The rounded edges are more comfortable than the squared, sharp edges of my metal mags. Lights require discipline and training. A fool turns his light on and leaves it on as that clearly gives away a position to an aggressor. The "tap on" style of feature is better to use. The problem with this is that it can ruin your natural night vision, but with no moon light outside or in just about any instance inside of a dark structure you can't see anything and shoot accurately. I happen to be a Streamlight man for what it's worth.

My favorite accessory, however, is the Hogue grip. I love this design. I just wish it was wider since I have large hands. I ordered it the very day I got my rifle. The stock AR grip is uncomforable to me.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_679&products_id=156

I personally wouldn't put the Leopold on there. With a >4.5x scope, you're going to have issues acquiring targets in close. This might be a better optic option for you:

144545544_millet-tactical-dms-rifle-scope---hunting-and-tactical.jpg

Millett DMS 1x4. I was issued a rifle with one on it. I personally didn't like it (I prefer a straight red-dot) but it was a very good scope and is more flexible if you needed to utilize it for longer range shots. Also, if your battery runs dead on the illuminated reticule or you don't have time to turn it on, you can still see the black reticule. For comparison sake, I have an AimPoint Patrol Rifle Optic on my personal AR that I use at work. It is in my trunk right now and has been on since June (due to the design of the optic, you can turn it on and leave it on for up to 3 years). This is very advantageous because I simply have to grab the firearm and go, no need to waste time turning it on!

If you wish to stick with the Leopold, I would strongly recommend you invest in an offset back-up sight, either iron sights or something like a Burris Speedbead.

41cO-F7EkYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would probably lean toward the iron sights so you have a mechanical backup in the event of a catastrophic failure of your optics. Since you already have the MagPul sights, you could mount them on offset brackets if you wished.

My favorite AR accessory is an off set rail set that I mounted a low profile reflexive sight on, it's snuggled every so nicely between the mounts of the 3-9 scope. A close second would be my three point sling.

My favorite AR accessory is an off set rail set that I mounted a low profile reflexive sight on, it's snuggled every so nicely between the mounts of the 3-9 scope. A close second would be my three point sling.

Thanks for all the replys.

Major Krisis, I agree about the Leupold being to much scope for the rifle. I should have posted that it will stay on there while I test factory ammo and reloads to see what the rifle likes. Once I have a load I will stick with I'll go to a lower power optic. I like the magnification when I'm shooting groups. Probably end up with something around the 2-7x range in the long run.

I saw a slick looking set-up in a predator hunting magazine I'm going to try I think. The guy has his AR set up with a Burris PEPR scope mount to allow for proper height and eye-relief for a scoped AR. I already have the mount and it positions the scope right for me. The top of the scope rings have small rail on top of them. This hunter had a small pistol type red dot sight mounted on top of the back ring. He can use the scope for most shots, or look through the red dot for real fast shooting in close, said he really likes the set-up and speed of shooting. I like the idea of having two sighting systems like that that can be used to check the zero of each other. The little red dot only adds a couple ounces and shouldn't get in the way of anything.