Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest zen811

What Would You Stash in your Survival Cache?

19 posts in this topic

Thanks to sailorman2010 at Northwest Firearms forums for the following post I borrowed, I thought it would be a good starting place for this thread to get folks thoughts on this.

The original link is here: "What would you stash in your survival cache?"

"Hello. I hope everyone is recovering nicely from the long weekend and turkey day.

I've been thinking about a buried survival cache for the last six months. I want to get feedback from people that have done it themselves-buried weapons, clothes, storage food, etc?

I would also like to know what kind/type of containers people used-PVC pipe? Hard case? Barrels? Also, I know locating and environment is factor when burring a cache. A person would want to locate in a place where it wouldn't be easily found by others, but would be easy to find for them when returning to it. Nor, put it in a place where it would be sitting in the water table for six months of the year (unless you took pre-cautions for this) or about to be logged/developed.

I've been working on a list as of late. It’s a work in progress and is in no way in its final stages of being complete. I would like to add this, most likely it would be made for two people (hence the two ALICE packs), but also I thought it could be nearby a camp/hide. Also, if just one person uses it (me), it could be a stash location where I come back as needed for supplies and exchange items. I thought of a few scenarios.

One more thing, I know I didn’t add any weapons to the list. That is separate thing I am working on: to cache a rifle, pistol, ammo and supplies. Ideas for this would be nice too!

Here’s my list:

• One Hardig (hard-case/water proof) electronics box

• Plastic storage bags/Mylar bags/food-saver bags-sealed

• Oxygen absorbers/moisture absorbers?

• Silicone for hard-case

• First Aid kit

• Two sets clothes (warm/cold)

• 1 Large ALICE pack/1 medium

• Coat or Rain gear

• Boots (waterproof/thinsulate)

• Socks/underwear

• Gloves (leather & insulated pair)

• Flash light/head lamp

• Glow sticks

• Small camp stove (one burner)/Swiss army volcano stove

• Fuel/fuel tablets

• FOOD

o MRE’s

o Freeze dried assortment

o Canned meat?

• Water Storage

o Camel bak

o Canteens

o 2.5gal water bags

o Purification tablets/filters

• Sleeping bag w/all weather cover

• Tarp (brown 6x8)

• Para-cord

• Gerber Hatchet/Saw/Shovel set (small)

• Leatherman

• Good knife (x2)

• Hand & feet warmers

• FIRE

o Lighter

o Matches

o Flint

o Steel wool

o Tinder

" end quote

Edited by SurvivalCache

I am tired, and needing sleep, but this caught my eye, so i am gonna say: 1 package of Lifesavers, and a get out of jail free card. That should cover just about anything. ;) i will give it some serious thought, and get back to you when my eyes dont hurt. Good question though.

This is something that I have not done myself but am interested in it. However in my current location, in the city, I don't know if it justified to do...I would think getting a good 6" diameter or bigger piece of PVC with sealed ends would be the cheapest and best way to go. If sealed properly it should be air and water tight, and the container itself is pretty darn light, until you start packing it full of stuff. Plus PVC is nice becasue you can buy a long piece and cut the container sizes to your liking. The only things I would add are some vitamin tablets, a source of money, prefferably precious metals since they hold their value everywhere unlike a nation specific currency, copies of important documents. Two of the big reasons I bring up the money and copies of documents is that there is a reason you are burying your goods. If you have to go after your buried goods than that means your main location with all your supplies is probably gone, burned down, robbed,etc. so you are going to want to make sure you have the very important items in a bakeup location. Also bury some precious metals because if times get harder than the government might outlaw owning precious metals like they have in the past.

Hey Doc, that is a damned funny question and, I am embarrassed to say, one I over looked. Well done, Sir. After thinking about your question for a while, I solved your predicament. We could use a ‘tinder bundle’. That’ll would for a few hours anyway. So we’d need a tinder bundle about the size of Lady Liberty’s torch. It should be easy to hide.;)

If you’re talking long-term, you missed barter items. Bartering will be extremely important. Of course when you talk barter, most people jump to keeping a few hundred dollars and some gold and silver. I know I did at first. Then I thought of other highly desired items. Here is a very short list:

First, everything on your list will be excellent barter items so one might consider laying in a larger of those items than you need for your personal use. Additionally, we don’t know if you’ll have to help out a bunch of injured people. I know when the tornado hit here, a lot of people used their entire medical kits helping other out.

Booze – vodka, rum, tequila, etc. Also, we’d need a few bottles of a good single malt and some nice cigars, but I digress. Booze can be used to barter with people that need a drink. And, if the SHTF, I know I’ll need a good strong drink. Also, if necessary, the bottles of booze can be used as Molotov cocktails.

Extra liquid bleach can be exchanged with others. One gallon of liquid bleach can disinfect a whole lot of water. So you are giving people drinking water without parting with any of your stash. I think this is a good, but overlooked, item.

Parachord is easily stashed and has many uses. You could have a spool or two of extra parachord and it ought to bring some good items in return.

That’s it for right now as I am having difficulty focusing. South Park is on and I love Educational Television!

I think I would look at this as a time capsule everything in it need to have a similar

life span either by how it's packaged or what it is made of.

metal 55 gallon drum removable lid and seal ring

5 gallon can of kerosene kerosene lamp wicks {all cans should be dipped or painted with melted wax.}

canned potable water 1 layer to level of kerosene

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WS%20P600_A_name_E_Canned%20Drinking%20Water

freeze dried #10 cans of food mixed selection of 6 cans 1 layer

http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp_Q_c_E_950_A_name_E_Freeze%20Dried%20Foods%20In%20#10%20Cans

well supplied bob with all the accessories and extra clothing

stainless water bottles some cook wear and utensils

good commercial first aid kit

knife Gat and ammo

cram as much small stuff as you can in the nooks and crannies

seal the barrel and paint it with tar all over and bury it cushion surrounded with paper so dirt does not rub on the metal.

This is something that I have not done myself but am interested in it. However in my current location, in the city, I don't know if it justified to do...I would think getting a good 6" diameter or bigger piece of PVC with sealed ends would be the cheapest and best way to go. If sealed properly it should be air and water tight, and the container itself is pretty darn light, until you start packing it full of stuff. Plus PVC is nice becasue you can buy a long piece and cut the container sizes to your liking. The only things I would add are some vitamin tablets, a source of money, prefferably precious metals since they hold their value everywhere unlike a nation specific currency, copies of important documents. Two of the big reasons I bring up the money and copies of documents is that there is a reason you are burying your goods. If you have to go after your buried goods than that means your main location with all your supplies is probably gone, burned down, robbed,etc. so you are going to want to make sure you have the very important items in a bakeup location. Also bury some precious metals because if times get harder than the government might outlaw owning precious metals like they have in the past.

Don`t forget a saw blade to open your time capsule and some moisture absorbers to keep everything dry.

I think I would look at this as a time capsule everything in it need to have a similar

life span either by how it's packaged or what it is made of.

metal 55 gallon drum removable lid and seal ring

5 gallon can of kerosene kerosene lamp wicks {all cans should be dipped or painted with melted wax.}

canned potable water 1 layer to level of kerosene

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WS%20P600_A_name_E_Canned%20Drinking%20Water

freeze dried #10 cans of food mixed selection of 6 cans 1 layer

http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp_Q_c_E_950_A_name_E_Freeze%20Dried%20Foods%20In%20#10%20Cans

well supplied bob with all the accessories and extra clothing

stainless water bottles some cook wear and utensils

good commercial first aid kit

knife Gat and ammo

cram as much small stuff as you can in the nooks and crannies

seal the barrel and paint it with tar all over and bury it cushion surrounded with paper so dirt does not rub on the metal.

don`t forget the moisture absorbers .

i know the idea is to stash your cache out somewhere, say in a BOL, but has anybody thought of a stash in your own backyard? seriously. say you have to BUG OUT and after some time has cleared you will want to eventually come back home. w/o question there is 100% possibility that your house will have been gone through by anybody and everybody looking for goods. chances are by this time your supplies will have been dwindled down to almost nothing. wouldnt it be nice to have something to come home to?

i would much rather have to come into a place i know very well to get my stash rather than a place i dont know. this would also be good if you were bugging in too. what if you get robbed or something? at least you will have a stash very close by to get you started back up again.

If i had a cache...

Itd probably consist of my 3rd lvl preps, aka 'Survival Appliances'

Solar Kit, BIG water filter/pump, Long-term food storage stuff, etc

SOme form of currency, the largest bulk of my ammo, some hand tools (hammer & axe, scredriver)

Spare keys to everything

...Additional 1-2 level supplies.

Rick,

Redundancy is always a good idea. If you think its a feasible possibility, then why not. And I agree with your idea of returning for supplies in a familiar location.... if you have to grab & run, then you'll know where you ' are running too, and out.

Rick,

I agree with your idea of returning for supplies in a familiar location.... if you have to grab & run, then you'll know where you ' are running too, and out.

exactly my friend. plus you can keep a better eye on your cache as well. it just seems a good idea to me.

5 lbs of coffee...........and filters..Aspirin...Complete Multivitamins...."clear 90proof Wva Gold''..

Yeast/for bread..Epi clean Hand sanitizer..it also is great for starting a fire...4 gig sd card with basic information ...A Bicyle lite(that rubs against the tire/ok so you have to rig it a bit) to re charge batterys....

jmo

Ok, so im a bit late for this discussion, and thought id chip in my 2cents. I didnt see this anywhere else on the list, and just thout of it as i was replying to another post. What about a bag2 of instant cement with a couple of large buckets ir totes? Im assuming if you have a cache at or near your BOL, there is going to be some sort of water supply.

The cement would come in handy come time to build a longer term shelter. Just enou to set sime posts in to make the frame stronger. Come hard storm, wind storm, or spring melt off, im sure some extra strength in the frame and a possible foundation would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I'd want is a spare pair or two of good boots and some good socks. Boots only last so long, and having spares for when my first ones wear out would be great. Mocassins and other footwear can be improvised but sure wouldn't replace good boots for travel or bad weather.