How much food do you grow?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much food do you grow?

• I grow all my own food, though I might eat outside what I grow
    • I grow most of my own food.
    • I grow a little of my food.
    • I grow none of my food.
    • I'll never tell you anything!!!!

I wanted to get an idea of how many preppers grow their own food. I think the most likely SHTF type of scenario we would face is an economic collapse or partial governmental collapse. As a result, I think its important that people educate themselves on how to grow their own food, even if they don't grow ALL their own food. I wanted to get an idea of how prepared for this type of thing "preppers" or survivalists are.

I'm going to aim to grow _some_ of my own food initially. Down the line a few years (7-10?), I'd like to be growing most or all of my food.

I grow some but not all I stick with what I do well and ope to have enough to swap later as far as during a :problem"

I for one do not consider it a safe idea that is why we prep so we do not have to expose ourselves during a event.

once things level out then farming or gardening will be workable so people need to be prepared to exist quite a while.

working in the open is a bad idea so people need to learn now how to grow crops.

I grow some of my food..But this year I will grow enough to keep me and mine for over a year..

I entend to Trade 'seedlings' for cash and purchase flour and other thing I cant grow.

I will try the tobacco seed again this year...

snake, I agree that growing out in the open can be a little dangerous. Fortunately, there are methods that exist where its possible to grow food with very little space and even on the roof a building where someone is unlikely to notice.

matt, very cool! I agree, seeds will be worth a lot later on. I plan to start saving some.

I grow a few different things every year to see what does the best in my area, and plant a fruit tree and a berry bush or two every year. They are not all producing yet but I hope to have a nice little orchard someday. Also bought several kinds of seeds from seedsavers for my garden so after I harvest them I can save the seeds to replant next year.

Besides our chickens, we have a small garden that I would like to expand as I learn more. We also have a neighbor that has a big garden that we share in a small way.

exit I am only saying we may have to delay for a planting season to a year not long term as nothing lasts for ever

and normalcy should return even if it is problematic work could be done at night I have a large greenhouse but it has

glass windows so you I will be seen.

now for some fodder for thought.

I do not want to get into a pissing contest on this point but in each group there will be a leader / work horse and it is more than

likely a male if a competing group or roaming thugs will only need to take them out and then have instilled terror and fear into

that group to undermine it's will or way to protect themselves and might even cause defections.

Turncoats are not exactly

new age Cain killed Able even if you do not have a belief in God it is not news it happens now I think the vision I see is a cross

between redneck island and survivor and man woman wild backstabbing bitchin' and screwing each other in every way imaginable.

People may think they can handle this mentally and physically well if a key member gets taken out the dynamic changes.

survivor I do not watch it unless there is nothing on the cartoon channel but those people are only there for a month?

when they drag them off of wherever they are damn near dead, they need to do a before and after group picture.

Anyone who has imaginings of being a roaming lone nomad or like Moses leading a nation all I know is I want neither.

Dealing with people is like managing a zoo after an earthquake releases most of them they are all over the place and you can

count on the fact they are either tearing up, crapping on, screwing or killing something.

a strong female being taken out leaves a different but very complex part of a group culture effected permanently.

Women can and do male jobs it is their reluctance to learn them in many cases that will become problematic males

have the same problem and add in some other traits not conductive to being laid back and willing to learn a new skll.

I have seen it dealt with it and too many friends both male and female have had trouble with their mates and or children

to learn a different skill set or become a integral part of the family unit I have trained many people basic building and

construction principles as well as other skills and for as many as I have trained I encounter those who feel it is not their job.

and that irritates me I can cook wash clean mop my S.O. can so many of my tasks but every once and a while I get that

I don't need to do that it's your job? well if I am not around who is going to d it and if you did not learn it what will happen then?

after a trip to the hospital my S.O. was pleasantly surprised that nothing needed to be done when they got home.

I have had the same experience we can learn new skills and there are no duties that are beneath us or over our heads in fact

when we are together on a project it is easier and takes less time.

in a recent exchange I was told I was very negative about Americans well that is true only because they are part of a larger group

called humans and boy are they really really stupid I do not exclude myself I have done some crazy and stupid things BUT

I have dealt with that so far I just do not want to deal with thousands of them who have not prepared and toss in the government

trying to HeLp %*&()) and each ethnic group and their supporters it will be less than ideal IMHO.

pardon the jumping around of the topic I have had some calls and other things going on today...

I have a 12'x12' garden and I have no luck growing the things I want!! This past year sucked. I planted 1 or 2 plants of things that I didnt need alot of (like tomatoes, gr peppers, thyme and dill) and that stuff went crazy!!! But the things that I love (cabbage, broccoli, onions and chives) wouldnt grow at all. Now my gardens a mess cuz the thyme went to seed and it ALL over the place. Ive only had the garden for 3 yrs now and Im @ a complete loss on how to get this right. Oh and if anyone could please tell me how to control the weeds in my garden I would be so very grateful! Im tired of spending almost everyday for and hr or so just pulling weeds.

Snake: I agree with almost everything you said. No skill is beneath anyone. I already know how to mop, cook, do laundry, and a lot of other things. I learned many of these skills out of necessity (leaving my mother's house). However, I'm glad I learned them because Its made me more independent. I also like how you mentioned that when your significant other was in the hospital she was surprised to come home to a well kept house. I think its important to be able to help our family when they are incapable of helping themselves.

I have a 12'x12' garden and I have no luck growing the things I want!! This past year sucked. I planted 1 or 2 plants of things that I didnt need alot of (like tomatoes, gr peppers, thyme and dill) and that stuff went crazy!!! But the things that I love (cabbage, broccoli, onions and chives) wouldnt grow at all. Now my gardens a mess cuz the thyme went to seed and it ALL over the place. Ive only had the garden for 3 yrs now and Im @ a complete loss on how to get this right. Oh and if anyone could please tell me how to control the weeds in my garden I would be so very grateful! Im tired of spending almost everyday for and hr or so just pulling weeds.

You should check out the book "The All new square foot gardening". You might be able to find a free pdf of the book online if you search. It is a very efficient method that I will be trying within the coming months. The only thing I'm worried about is composting. I'm still in the researching/planning stage of this project. My goal is to eventually buy a house with land and grow enough food to be self-sustaining or damn near close to it.

intothewild

those are winter crops if you planted them in spring it would have been to warm carrots broccoli onions and chives as well as beets

turnips and greens like cool weather

in fact if i remember I planted carrots and not one thing came up a friend told me the ground has to be 60 degrees or less for the

many grains are cool or winter crops

carrots to grow I tried it and I got them growing all over the place same with radishes and cauliflower is growing well now.

also some farmers shade or cover with tenting etc.and do other things to make crops grow in intermediate seasons

all kinds of beans tomatoes peppers corn okra some onions do well in hot weather garlic squash zucchini bell peppers are summer

vegetables in texas we can do 2 runs if we plant after good friday {rare to have a freeze after then} and as soon as they mature

pull them and replant and get another crop. if you have winters that are long you may need a hothouse.

I started container gardening last year with mixed results. Im planning on doing that along with raised beds and alos some fruit bushes this year. Im really trying to become more self sufficient this year

When i moved into my current house, back in 1990 there were no fruit trees or a garden. I've been planting new fruit trees every other year since. Now i have apples, peaches, plums, pears & cherrie trees in the backyard. Planted rasberrys, stawberrys & blue berry bushes as well as grape vines. I grow tomatos, beans, cucumbers, carrets, beets, onions, chillies & melons yearly. The amount of food i harvest is about 3-4 months from the garden to feed a family of 4 people. Not much really. Raised rabbits in the past, likely start again this year. Would like to move out of the city & purchese a farm one of these days, just not in the cards right now. Paying for my daughters medical education can get expencive.

When i moved into my current house, back in 1990 there were no fruit trees or a garden. I've been planting new fruit trees every other year since. Now i have apples, peaches, plums, pears & cherrie trees in the backyard. Planted rasberrys, stawberrys & blue berry bushes as well as grape vines. I grow tomatos, beans, cucumbers, carrets, beets, onions, chillies & melons yearly. The amount of food i harvest is about 3-4 months from the garden to feed a family of 4 people. Not much really. Raised rabbits in the past, likely start again this year. Would like to move out of the city & purchese a farm one of these days, just not in the cards right now. Paying for my daughters medical education can get expencive.

Thats impressive P21. Hopefully I can get there too. A daughter with medical education is definitely a worthwhile investment for a lot of reasons.

I think a farm would be too much for me. I do want a least an acre of land though.

if you live in a hot fry climate place your plants in the furrow not on the top of the mound water flows down and shade helps

to retain water run rows north and south if you can in dry hot areas have fun and look on the package a lot of times the seeds

have the information on when to plant.