Sign in to follow this  
juzcallmesnake

many of you are moving to the country and trying their hand at getting back to basics

I'm new here but I've read a fair amount of the various posts...and being out is the woods <sorta>. A few things that may be of help to people who want to move out into the country or further into the sticks than that.

A few things that can help...

I haven't seen anyone mention the Foxfire book series...If you haven't heard of them they were a class project back in the 80s <I think> where the kids went into the Appalachian Mountains and got the old timers there to show them how they did things...and they do everything from building a log cabin, butcher a hog, make soap and such. These could all be good things to know.

Alarm systems...remote detection is good like what LivingGrey has shown us.

Another low tech system are guinea hens...they will raise hell if anyone tries to come around them or sneak up on you. They are also a food source and a source of eggs.

Guest survival101

hello, von. i think i'm the only old one here that read those. they are a worthwhile read. good suggestion.

Hey Von, I have the whole Foxfire series sitting on my book shelf. Bought them from the Rodale Press book store way back when. They are good books and the Appalachian twang does come through.

While full of information, they were a lot of spots where I found critical pieces of information left out. I think there was the assumption that the info was common knowedge and did not require an explanantion. No real drawback though and the books sure are informative from a practical standpoint.