Sign in to follow this  
juzcallmesnake

many of you are moving to the country and trying their hand at getting back to basics

many of you are moving to the country and trying their hand at getting back to basics

here are a few hard and fast rules.

remember you are on your own be and think self sufficient.

if your nearest neighbor thinks hoot owls are chickens and corn cobs are toilet paper

smile nod and move on.

have an epipen for allergic reactions weather you have or never have lived in the country

as we get older we can become allergic to things we were not before so have one in vehicle

and one in the house and do not move it keep in one place and leave it alone.

first signs are stiff face thick tongue oil like feel in mouth or fast swelling in area of bite or sting.

find out where the septic tank is and field lines as driving into or onto BAD.

ask if well goes dry in summer ask neighbors too and have it in the contract.

know how deep and how old deep wells are more expensive to repair if its a down hole problem

open pit shallow wells need to be treated we use to throw in a chlorine tab like used in pools

a couple of times a year but still have your water checked.

find out if any old open or other wells are on the property as these need to be secured or can be

re done and marked

check for or put in gutters and a cistern 1000 gallons minimum 50 foot from the house

with a water / submerge able pump for fires or drought to water plants.

have spigots at all corners and out buildings makes life easier

that small square building is either a well / pump house or an outhouse {not interchangeable}

have water checked but do not say its for / from home use if your well is condemned NOT GOOD

and many times it can be FIXED.

to keep skunks and vermin out from under the house put a light under the house

If you find a poisonous snake in your yard KILL IT they are territorial

and do not range far, but do not kill all snakes as they control vermin.

snakes like concrete and rocks in the evening lay on them to draw heat so watch and

use a flashlight after dark

Bats are voracious insect eaters but keep screens on your windows and eves and attic are free

of them and screened properly they can bite at night and carry rabies

some people have bat houses there are other animals that eat bugs do not do this.

A wild animal that is not afraid of you be very afraid of them rabid animals have no fear of humans.

so have a fenced yard and keep your trash covered and in side the yard or if you have a burn pit make sure its far from the house to keep the smell away and animals.

three leaves let it be not always true but a good guideline for poison ivy oak and sumac,

only use hard wood or some fruit wood to cook with like oak, ash, hickory, pecan, apple and others

but make sure no vines are on wood remove it if its a poison variety very bad breathing in will

cause same as external contact except worse.

have a medium size dog keep to patrol the yard and keep other animals out.

small dogs under watchful eye or in the house as hawks and owls like them.

if you have a barn a cat needs to live out there keep them half wild by not handling them too much

and feed them once a day extra food only attracts animals dangerous to the cat.

and if they are too well fed they get lazy and do not hunt.

all animals need to be wormed as needed and have shots every year and need flea and tick control

a house in the shade for protection from wind and rain for outside dogs and warning signs on gates

just in case your dog bites someone.

plant certain insect repellent plants next to house here is a site

http://www.borghesegardens.com/pest.htm

check tree root mature size length before planting near house foundation or piers and not near field

lines of septic tank

certain birds like martins need a special built house and eat mosquitoes

motion sensor wired or solar lights are a good idea in out buildings and walk ways and keeps

wild animals away

keep your vehicles locked and but have extra keys hidden on the property as its a long way

to the locksmith

wood houses and buildings are easy for fires so have smoke detectors in all and water that can

reach all sides as fire department may take time to respond as well as police and ambulance

have a distinctive mail box with large reflective numbers and multiple reflectors to Identify

your home and drive way entrance.

also a can of baking soda near the stove and fire extinguisher.

Do not take my comments to make you fearful but being in the country is great 99.9 % of the time

saying that its that one time in a thousand that you get into a problem will be with an animal or a

person either way you do not need to be the one afraid especially for being to lazy to carry protection

never go out without a weapon a hand gun or {a buggy whip} or a hard wood cane and a flashlight.

long guns you need to be more careful as they are not as fast to get in to action.

if you have animals like rabbits ducks chickens or small animals,

coyotes foxes and in some cases

wolves panthers and numerous others will try for them even try for your dog and you if they feel

cornered a shot in the ground will send them on their way just make sure your not blocking the

way out

I know I have missed some things but I am tired now if I think of anything else i will post it.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

awesome advice snake, and timely too, as i am currently in the process of buying a place in the hills, 4.5 acres, w/3000g holding tank, have an eastern view w/mountain behind to help block that pesky radiation (30 mi from 1 prime target, 60 from another)already has multiple pens and cages ,now just gotta get bank to say ok....again thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

I have debated back and forth with my wife about getting a place in the country. I am thinking 10-20 acres, well water, pond, some fruit trees and a small farm house. I appreciate Snake's advice as it rings true with my own childhood/youthful experience growing up at the end of a long dirt road.

My wife has great concern, which I share, that anything in the country not inhabited year round is primed to be stripped of anything useful and exploited by meth cookers. Has anyone here had any experience hardening a site used only on weekends? Are we overly cautious?

texas bill

your wife is right dope heads are like lice they are everywhere and steal anything or like you say

turn it in a safe house or lab.

friend of mine lady in her 60's was always out and about every time she left the neighbors

robbed her place, neighbors older kids.

finally she gave up and got a small apartment the cops were useless of course

I got no use for them either still looking for 2 vehicles and a motorcycle, strange but

I can't go a week out on my registration and wham they are on me like white on rice.

have not had a ticket in 15 + years and they are smart mouth I do not even talk to them

hand them my insurance and license and I do not care what they say or don't.

I have come to the conclusion that dozen HADJJI's on a flat bed truck doing something

and would not call anyone I fear that I would be jammed for racism or some B.S.

Or would try to make me in on it.

any gov group that stick their hand up your grandma's arse just to look fair to a very small percentage

of our population is stupid sick and it shows all of you how anything you thought could never happen

will and already has.

Get to know your neighbors and ask them to call you if anything looks suspicious. Of course lots of people will never do anything until your house is burning down. Security system could help if it's a quiet county and the sheriff has nothing else to do but alarms going off are low priority most places. I heard one instance where the police wouldn't go out to a cabin because there was to much snow even though the company had called the house and talked to the home invader who was stuck in the snow... Dogs are good but someone has to be around to feed them and let them in on cold nights. You might be able to work out a dog sitting arrangement with a kid in the neighborhood just trust who ever it is not to throw house parties on your property and I don't fully agree with just leaving your dogs on the property to guard it in case something happens to them. Somewhere on here some one posted a link to storm shutters which could deter any one looking for a smash and grab. A lot of private security firms (not alarm company) or county sheriffs are willing to give your property a security assessment and make recommendations or try to sell you security improvements.

considering many people want a country place and cannot live there at the moment.

Do not give up on your idea do not have a home on the property but make sure

that you have a septic tank from a prior home or a dilapidated one even a slab is good

access to power and water like a well.

A pond / tank or creek is not necessarily a constant water source as many dry up

in the summer or if water comes from uphill snow and there's no snow so ask!

in many areas copper and aluminium thieves are breaking into homes and stripping the wiring

but an empty shipping container with a little view port to show its empty or

a metal cover that can quickly be wrapped in tarps for a camping site

are usually not bothered.

its the property that is important everyone's wife or non travelers expects to move to a mini condo

and the yard man will come 2 times a month.

what can and more than likely will come is a crash of our financial system everything will be there its

just you won't be able to afford it. and many down towns look like a ghost town already.

It will just be much worse and nomadic unemployed and homeless {HOBO's} like during the depression.

asking to trade work for food and shelter {room and board} on a big farm OK if you just have a garden

it needs to be in the middle of tall grass fire break around it and not visible from a high vantage point

or road, as you cannot afford to feed help its going to take all you have to survive.

All you vegetarians and pansies just shoot your self its going to be bloody and hard and grains that are

plentiful because we get them trucked in from every where from north and south america the

stock will be gone in weeks. and beans are seasonal

there are about 350 million in the U.S. in a crash we do not have the same agrarian society we had

post depression most all farms and ranches are corporations or depending them to disperse their

products look at your city where is the food in New York L.A. Chicago Miami Houston some of the

largest cities think about walking to the nearest farm OK what time of year is it.

some plants produce once in a window of time others produce sporadically over their life.

do you think the ignorant people are going to respect the plant or destroy grabbing what they can

and just because the fruit or vegetable is edible the rest may not be, so many will die from

dehydration from diarrhea or poisoning.

some plants are underground do you think city folk will know that or trample them thinking they are

not producing or not food as most would not know a potato plant from a stump.

how many people reading this can kill, gut, skin and segment a full grown bull, elk, bear whatever

without tainting the meat with fecal matter or urine from the balder can you recognize the

vital edible organs the tongue is the best part next to the heart and short loin and sir loin.

liver is great but it will degrade first that's why indigenous people ate the internal organs first.

how are you going to save 540 pounds of meat most idiots would kill a milk cow now this

is the kind of thing that will bring us to a mass starvation scenario.

milk is every day meat goes bad unless canned in glass jars

A cow needs to be about 15 months old and it takes 9 months for a cow

to drop a calf by my reckoning that's 2 years before you get a steak.

its about 60% meat and 40% bones and guts and fat / scrap

and in hard times a cow lives 3 to 5 years with good feed and care witch won't be as easy to

accomplish with out the medicine and antibiotics 15 to 25 years and probably max breeding age

20 years old.

OK now 350 million people are trying to make a living and food is needed every day

so how long do you think before the military or ranchers will be forced to go back to hanging

and shooting rustlers???

how long before the waste of mass killing will drop the available amount of meat our best

source of protein?

as well as our breeding core since most zombies starving city folk will try to kill young or small

so the next generation

of breeders will be non existent and due to lack of medication and other required needs shorter life /

breeding span.

animal minimum age to breed / in heat estrus / gestation periods / feed per day / water

goats 8 to 10 months old / like humans /150 days to birth / 5 pounds and piss ruin anything not

contained / gallon + and goats are like Houdini they are escape artists and destructive.

cows 15 months / like humans / 9 months / 50 to 120 pounds / 20+ gallons can be dangerous

and destructive.

pigs 10 months / like humans /115 days / 5 pounds per hundred of body weight / 8 gallons

can be dangerous fast and escape artists

sheep 7 months app /2 to 3 weeks / 145 days / 2 pounds per day / 1 gallon to dumb to explain

a flash of lightning loud noise and they can have a heart attack

rabbits 6 months / when bred / 31 days / 1/2 cup + or - size rabbit of feed / 1/2 to 1 quart

unless in a wire 1/2" x 1" size can escape are fast and can and will bite like a snip of a pair of scissors

and scratch unless handled and petted every day even then some have personality issues

chickens 4 to 5 months / when bred / 21 days / 1/3 cup per chicken / 1 cup

chickens are very noisy especially roosters so passers by will hear them.

they will claw and peck if not handled properly roosters have spurs and will gig you if you do not

trim the points and some do not bother you, so depending weather to trim their defensive weapons.

noise will draw hungry people mooing, bleating, crowing squealing etc not to mention the amount

of fencing, and hard wear, medicine to contain and care for certain animals.

OK gentleman rancher / farmer now you see the problem of logistics

and why people raise certain animals some because they know the business.

and what it will take generally speaking now I have yet to get to diseases and maladies and

seasonal conditions.

and why we do not want TEOTWAWKI a come back will take years and the die off of people and

animals will be staggering.

well I need a drink NO I MEAN I NEED A F&*(@##* DRINK if this does not make your hair stand on end

butt pucker and want you to set yourself on fire and run in to a gun powder magazine

you are mentally challenged. the easiest animal will take 1 year before you get a bite and then

you need a blood line to maintain the breed to continue a food source.

and the listed amounts above are for a day now multiply that x 365

and being armed defending your hovel and family and grow a garden raise animals kill cure and smoke

meat clean wash and dry fruit & vegetables wash and clean your arse and clothes make new clothes

and tools and furniture repair your hovel blah blah blah now you know why people only lived 40 years

civilization has fought damn hard to get to this utopia and 95% of people have no Idea they are in

heaven right now and bitc# and moan about nothing try toting water for all this with out power

OH YEA I NEED A DRINK!

continued on page 99

oh I forgot grain it sucks without power you got to cut it

you have to know when to cut it and you have to separate the head / seed {threshing }

and then dry the grains and store until needed then grind it to flour

now you need oil at least for a flat cracker or crusts I do not know what all these guys with whole grain

who are not familiar with cooking I guess you can eat mush but you really need to know how to

gather wild yeasts make and keep a dough starter or baking powder and milk / butter milk powdered or fresh for good breads

baking powder recipe PRINT THIS

1/2 Teaspoons of cream of tartar {how much cream of tarter do you got}

1/4 Teaspoon of baking soda

1/4 Teaspoon of cornstarch

makes 1 teaspoon of baking powder

baking soda and cider / regular vinegar have been used to make bread rise

beer biscuits & breads need to get recipes off the net before it goes down.

so you need a mill or a hard wood log core out the center and make a round head pole to beat the grain

in the hollowed log work work work

raisins can be used to make yeast need to look it up on line

copy and paste to windows note pad and PRINT IT

can collect wild yeast need to look it up on line and PRINT IT

also make sour dough or yeast starter how to and PRINT

this should be part of your survival note book

Capt Bart: please consider this

we might need a thread where people can copy and paste these things for their own survival

recipes and information / NOTE BOOK

Edited by juzcallmesnake

I have a perfect book.its called "Ten Acres enough" and I have the site posted here someplace(and its free).Its about a man leaving Phily in 1860 and went to the farm land of New Jersery.He puts it all down on paper, what he did and its cost.It is a good read and he did it with out power.Plan and take Justcallmesnakes advice.I grew up in the city(Detroit)with a Father that grew up behind mules in Ark.and spent my summers in northern West Virginia at my sisters home.So Im a bit better off than most and chose to live in the south most of my life.iF YOU HAVE FAMILY IN THE COUNTRY talk to them and check land prices.Get a topo map of area and spend some quality time with Family talking about it ..Matt :}

Power.it needs to be talked about..wind, solar, water,and Gasifacation.

Here is a tid bit ...old teck made new..Fema has plans for free,they were used after the second world war in Europe,over a million were made.

http://victorygasifier.com/

I realy like this Company,he started to make them for himself for his farm .he has been posted on u tube.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/

This company has been OFF GRID for 25 years...live what you sell.

so take a look and see what you think.. Matt :}

and yep Im done and opening a jar and sitting with my misses...

first solar flares and EMP remembering this is theoretical to what degree and area of

destructive power and how much electrostatic discharge would be transferred to

a certain device

Knock out solar panels or at least the charge controller

wind power if you live in an area that get enough wind but same problem

engines with computer controls same problem

I have come to the conclusion older or low tech diesel engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4APgnXF5pCg

with 100 + watt alternator

and batteries I like blue top optima gel battery deep cycle marine

on a rubber mat with brass wire mesh cage around it until you run it for maintenance

or use it in emergency remembering a battery is good for running small fans like computer type

and 12 volt truck accessory personal fan and 12 volt lights and using an inverter you can run

small appliances and tools.

this will not run a air conditioner or large appliance it would be for emergency

I use a Honda 2500ER gas to keep my 5K BTU AC and appliances going alternately as

it will not run but one AC and then refrigerator and fans and lights or freezer with fans and lights

the Honda is the best gas generator made IMHO i have had nothing but trouble with others

and my ER runs 12 + hours on 3 gallons of gas so my 30 gallons holds my freezer and refrigerator

and at night my AC for comfort

many forget your surviving a whole house generator is nice but look at the cost compared to

electricity it costs up to 10 times more propane and gas are not the best fuel for power generation

and the fuel now that we have alcohol added sucks it does not last as long even with stabilizer

I would like to add a diesel generator small 3500 to 5000 watt because with stabilizer diesel

lasts for years in a sealed container.

Solar panels are OK but you need about 70 to 80 watts for battery recharging and a charge

controller that allows for generator input this allows the solar panels or the generator to charge

the battery the controller monitors the battery so it is charged at a peak rate with out damaging

the battery or over charging it problem is they are electronically controlled so many things preppers

are trying to prepare for would damage or make these inoperable if not useless

except we keep these in storage until needed of course testing them first and having the knowledge

witch is minimal as most is self explanatory for a simple system add a wind generator/s they produce

about 400 watts each and you can run a table top ice maker tools and lights for enough time to

get projects done but like I am trying to get across if it is a EMP or CME then having it set up before

will compromise the system or it could be destroyed or damaged so it has to be set up after and

in the case of CME you would have to know if other events were on the way before you set up your

system and CME is not an event that can be predicted or how or where will be effected

as it can be a positive or negative charged and when they strike as well as our gravitational field

strength at the time so needless to say I have a little knowledge but only people like the NRL and

scientist might have an idea but they get stumped as they are finding out that the ejection is not

the CME but is a after effect the CME is a invisible event and moves at different speeds so

projections are fuzzy math at best and since we have no outposts like a tsunami warning system

{that I am aware of} IT'S A CRAP SHOOT!

for my money I would bet on financial instability and EMP and other things that would cause unrest.

so I feel something can happen and need to be prepared but going crazy and adding debt is not the

way get out of a mortgage then vehicle payments then worry about credit cards this is one of your

best defense to whatever is coming your home or a small piece of property paid off so you cannot

be evicted and have a place to live look at the special report on homeless in Florida living in their cars

no money and parking in walmart and truck stop parking lots I feel for these people.

and do not blame them because it is timing if you were or are the right age and starting a

home and family and loose your job/s you and your wife will be struggling just like these folks.

it takes a minimum of 20 years on average to build a life kids home and you have to plan

it like a battle because anytime during that time frame if you and your wife loose your jobs

in no time flat your homeless.

here in a real interesting deal efficient and powerful with an big alternator this would be the bomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=YAy8DrojAuQ

I am tired so I might have to edit this later but think on this I think you will see my points

I live in the country... All it takes is some zombie with his scoped out .308. Pick'n us off slowly, one by one. No big assault with their AKs and Harleys roaring. Then he takes our hard earned food and shelter. Face it. There is nowhere safe when it's the hunters and the prey. Who you gonna be?

You live in the country? Make your BOB for concealment, evasion and firepower. Be prepare to fallback to your supplies and then take back your homestead.

well if I must leave the new "renters" will not be their long it call "I love you more" package

in 48 hours I will be able to retake my bug so I ain't worried.

other posts I get into it some but I am not telling all, it is simple and effective

the dark arts / dirty end of the stick / box tops / green stamps /sealing wax cabbages and kings.

I agree on the EMP being a most likely scenario. Once I take out my CME backup system then I am vulnerable. Soooo. Water being at the top of the list of essentials, check ou the "Simple Pump". Pricey, which is why I don't have one.... This baby will pump from a deep well, can be rigged for freezing weather, fits right next to your existing well pump, the manual pump can be remove for When it is needed, and best of all, IMO, is that you can pressurize you pressure tank and get running water in you home, flush the toilets shower etc.

better to dig a out house pit and use quick lime do not waste precious water an a turd.

shower a barrel use a dipper and soak soap up and rinse outside takes less than 2 gallons

a tub takes 10 + gallons not a good use of water.

you can tap a 5 gallon bucket and hang it from a rope and use a push button shower head

you want a hint all the exposed food will be not edible it is just there for looks

it is part of another post the sins of avarice after a victory they gorge themselves

evil people do not save or care they figure there will be more the next target

after then remove the garbage and continue on ................

this also is part of do not have all your eggs in 1 basket and prepare for the worst

what i leave out is what to use, all I will say it is organic and slow so all will be

confident and imbibe stuffing the more the eat the more they get.

any that do not get much will be immobile and ...........

I have debated back and forth with my wife about getting a place in the country. I am thinking 10-20 acres, well water, pond, some fruit trees and a small farm house. I appreciate Snake's advice as it rings true with my own childhood/youthful experience growing up at the end of a long dirt road.

My wife has great concern, which I share, that anything in the country not inhabited year round is primed to be stripped of anything useful and exploited by meth cookers. Has anyone here had any experience hardening a site used only on weekends? Are we overly cautious?

no bill good concerns.where i live at dont have that problem except 1 in 5 to 10 years.but if you have good neighbors,my neighbors watch my house close when i'm away.but then that might mean you also have to get far enough from the city.you can put up signs,about all the security you have even if you dont have it.put up fake cameras.

JacobRoux is right

about a single sniper that is why I figure to stay holed up for quite a while

and have a digital night vision scope as they are not burned out by bright light and other reasons.

and hope it stays functional so I can watch before I go out at night i have considered a

periscope as i have transom windows and have out buildings situated to obscure direct visualization

although I have ways to view around the buildings

called rear view mirrors set up under eves so the do not throw light but i can see them in a scope

to check back side of buildings and under vehicles {we got all kinds of critters}

all most of us can do is out last our enemies and prep to trick or confuse but that is last minute preps

awesome advice snake, and timely too, as i am currently in the process of buying a place in the hills, 4.5 acres, w/3000g holding tank, have an eastern view w/mountain behind to help block that pesky radiation (30 mi from 1 prime target, 60 from another)already has multiple pens and cages ,now just gotta get bank to say ok....again thanks for the advice and keep it coming!
++update! bank said yes should close late feb early march...got my work cut out for me, great place but high fire danger so i'm sure to lose weight keeping the clearances up.;)

++update! bank said yes should close late feb early march...got my work cut out for me, great place but high fire danger so i'm sure to lose weight keeping the clearances up.;)

fantastic rayz do your self a favor and have credit life for both you and your significant other

so should anything happen the other is not burdened with the bills

wish you all the best