Sign in to follow this  
exit

My next firearm

I made the mistake of waiting to buy an AR-15. With the high demand/prices and such, I've decided to make my next firearm a shotgun instead. Shotguns seem to be one of the only firearms that always have ammo available and I thought I would take advantage of that.

The primary purpose of the shotgun is defense, but possibly just as important, and the secondary purpose is hunting.

I'm thinking a pump-action 12 gauge non-rifled.

Any suggestions?

I think the Remington 870 is touted as America's shotgun or something. I've got a Remington 1100, Remington 870 Wingmaster, Remington 870 Express, Mossberg 590, and Mossberg 930 Turkey. They're all quality shotguns and each has a specific purpose for me. I have a couple of 20 gauges as well. I'd love to have another 870 police model, but it's way down my list of priorities. I want my next long gun to be a Ruger Mini-14 as I have an AR.

The Mossbergs are a bit lower in cost, but you'll find some variant of the Remington 870 in every store that sells firearms.

well i've managed the last 50 w/o an AR dont feel bad mini 14 will do the job just fine,:) for hunting you best served by a shotgun, I have a Remington Model 11 12ga-circa 1929 I love it,but am going to buy a Moss 500, my 11 is equipped w/ a 22" full choke awesome turkey , pig, deer, martians, :D but would like the Mossberg cuz it comes w/ 2 bbls

remington 870 express 19 1/2 inch vent rib barrel

cylinder bore

colored shell follower

short zytel forgrip and zytel but stock

6 round butt stock shell holder

dual bead 1 silver 1 brass under barrel laser

25 round bandoleer #4 buck 00 buck and slugs

when I come out I got 41 rounds of fun

my next project is to build a bayonet for it a honking one like the one for the 03A3 cross between a sword and a machete

geez where in the world have you been???? :)

Hey Rick! Been super busy with work and school. Grad school is no joke. I realize I haven't been very active in the past couple of months on the forums but I still come in and do some reading whenever I can. I'll be posting a little more often right now since I plan to work on a few survival projects. I'm glad you're still around too!

Remington 870 all day baby.

remington 870 express

rem 870 or mossberg 500

Sweet. I will definitely give the Rem 870 a look.... I've looked at the Mossberg 500 before. I'll compare those two and see which one suits me better.

Ruger 10/22

Already have a Ruger 10/22 and its not a shotgun ;)

my objection to the mossberg is a aluminum frame fine for military forces as they have plenty of other weapons

and some others them have aluminum frames and I am not a total fan of aluminum it is for soda and beer cans

not weapons I noticed they have not made an all aluminum vehicle {i wonder why}

of course I like steel it is more durable for the individual

BUT there are enough of both there are plenty of parts but by a slight margin price {for used ones} remington is my choice

and plenty of accessories for both

Exit

well hell your half way there LOL now you need a pistol a 22/45 or a smith & wesson 22A

Snake, I'm definitely still building my weapon collection. I already have a pistol too. After the shotty I'd like to get a single bolt action rifle or something like an AR15.

Although, with the current ammo shortages, I'll pick the weapons that actually have ammo available.

hey exit,

hows the fishing/kayaking going? you and the G/F still using your hammocks?

Hey Rick,

We got engaged :)

As you can imagine, I've been pretty busy with the wedding plans and all the other stuff going on. We haven't gone kayaking in a few months. I think once we move in later on this year we will start to camp/kayak/bike and lots of other fun stuff more often. There are some personal reasons we haven't been able to do much of that fun stuff, not the least of which is that we live about 45 mins away from each other. I still haven't even been able to use the hammock on a legit camping trip yet. All in due time though. We're looking forward to moving in together because it will make doing things like that much much easier.

How are things with you?

im doing ok. the G/F just totaled our last car so its a personal SHTF for us at the moment.

the girl is a freakin wreck magnet i swear it.

hey good to hear she and you are engaged. thats good news for both of you. you should do us a live feed so all your prep

friends can be there lol.

Well here is what I'm looking at and pretty sure I'm going to get it in the near future

RAAC MKA-1919 12 gauge shotgun

12 Gauage Semi Auto 19.7 Chrome Lined Barrel

2 5 Round Mags and 3 Different Chokes

$619.00

Cheaper Than Dirt Has them

Item Number : GUN-1919

exit,

While I don't own an 870, I have fired them and they are a solid lead launcher. I wonder about your intended uses; a short barrel shotgun like a Mossberg pump is an excellent defensive arm but not as good as a hunting arm. A long barreled Remington is an excellent hunting arm but is at best awkward as a defensive arm. I have a Moss for home defense in 12 and a Savage 20 for hunting. While 12 is the more popular round and is everywhere, a 20 is as effective at all except extreme ranges and has much less recoil. As I've gotten older I've regretted not having more 20's in the house. Ammo is still plentiful and my bride likes to shoot the 20. Doesn't care for the 12 and my shoulder tells me I'm not 23 anymore! There are some real bargains out there in pump shotguns that are reliable shooters. Mossberg, the Stevens/Savage line, etc. These guys don't get the premium for the brand name that guys like Remington and Bernelle usually get. For the price of the Remington, you might be able to get both a long barrel hunter and the CQB home defense gun. That way you are not compromising either mission.

As to the AR platform - insert any Capt. Bart rant about the unsuitability of the AR in general and the 5.56/.223 round in general as a defensive gun here!

I don't like the platform nor do I think the caliber is the best choice for an individual's survival weapon. The 5.56 was designed to be used by combat troops, on full auto, with heavy weapons in support. We are not really any of those things and I just don't think the .223 is nearly enough round for bigger game. I'm not saying it can't be used; I'm just saying there are better choices out there. If you are dead set on the round, I'd get the 5.56 NOT the .223 because while you can shoot .223 in a 5.56; it is unsafe to shoot 5.56 in a .223. Unless you can tell the rounds apart at a glance (I can't) the risk of damaging a gun or yourself is too high to risk. Also, I'd get the Ruger Mini-14. Did I tell you I don't like or trust the AR platform?

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart

im doing ok. the G/F just totaled our last car so its a personal SHTF for us at the moment.

the girl is a freakin wreck magnet i swear it.

hey good to hear she and you are engaged. thats good news for both of you. you should do us a live feed so all your prep

friends can be there lol.

Sorry to hear that Rick. All the more reason to prepare lol

A live feed would be amusing for you all to say the least!

Well here is what I'm looking at and pretty sure I'm going to get it in the near future

RAAC MKA-1919 12 gauge shotgun

12 Gauage Semi Auto 19.7 Chrome Lined Barrel

2 5 Round Mags and 3 Different Chokes

$619.00

Cheaper Than Dirt Has them

Item Number : GUN-1919

I'll check it out!

exit,

While I don't own an 870, I have fired them and they are a solid lead launcher. I wonder about your intended uses; a short barrel shotgun like a Mossberg pump is an excellent defensive arm but not as good as a hunting arm. A long barreled Remington is an excellent hunting arm but is at best awkward as a defensive arm. I have a Moss for home defense in 12 and a Savage 20 for hunting. While 12 is the more popular round and is everywhere, a 20 is as effective at all except extreme ranges and has much less recoil. As I've gotten older I've regretted not having more 20's in the house. Ammo is still plentiful and my bride likes to shoot the 20. Doesn't care for the 12 and my shoulder tells me I'm not 23 anymore! There are some real bargains out there in pump shotguns that are reliable shooters. Mossberg, the Stevens/Savage line, etc. These guys don't get the premium for the brand name that guys like Remington and Bernelle usually get. For the price of the Remington, you might be able to get both a long barrel hunter and the CQB home defense gun. That way you are not compromising either mission.

As to the AR platform - insert any Capt. Bart rant about the unsuitability of the AR in general and the 5.56/.223 round in general as a defensive gun here!

I don't like the platform nor do I think the caliber is the best choice for an individual's survival weapon. The 5.56 was designed to be used by combat troops, on full auto, with heavy weapons in support. We are not really any of those things and I just don't think the .223 is nearly enough round for bigger game. I'm not saying it can't be used; I'm just saying there are better choices out there. If you are dead set on the round, I'd get the 5.56 NOT the .223 because while you can shoot .223 in a 5.56; it is unsafe to shoot 5.56 in a .223. Unless you can tell the rounds apart at a glance (I can't) the risk of damaging a gun or yourself is too high to risk. Also, I'd get the Ruger Mini-14. Did I tell you I don't like or trust the AR platform?

Just my not so humble opinion.

I was actually looking at the Browning BPS because I've read some reviews that the new Remmingtons are not what the old ones were in terms of quality. Some people complained about rusting. The Super Nova looks good too. But both of those are close to $600. I could probably get 2 guns for that price, as you say, if I went Mossberg or Remmington.... I have some thinking to do.

I like Rugers a LOT. My 10/22 is awesome. I've looked at the Ruger Mini-14 before and maybe I should give it consideration again. I don't know enough about ARs to be honest.

my next firearm is going to be a nerf gun I do not think they want us to have anything else.

and if what i have heard is true it cannot be semiauto.

I've lost count of how many petitions I've signed to avoid losing any more rights. Probably to no avail.

my next firearm is going to be a nerf gun I do not think they want us to have anything else.

and if what i have heard is true it cannot be semiauto.

Checkout the revolving one-my son and I used to have more fun with nerf when he was little(exwifes cat hated 'em tho!)