Sign in to follow this  
jerry

winter storm hit us hard. 3 days no power and looking at 10 more

days at least to fully restore all utilities. Man, talking about a real world real time test of our preps! AND yes, uor prep allows us to be low stress!

Remember this.. 3is 2 2 is 1 1 is none. We found out on heating. We are ok. Will be fine. I will post a debrief soon. rain, ice storm, blizzard, more freezing rain.. soon it will be gone. The city 30 miles away is now getting real problems from the thugs and people who vote for a living instead of working for a living entitlement punks. Gonna get crazy in that town!

I think it is funny that people who have two doughnuts on their car as tires are trying to steal stuff and leave their stereos booming as they drive around that town. We get Tv via a 12 volt tv and crank radios for news. Crappie are biting, and our lake still isnt frozen over. DOVES everywhere! We had a wonderful lunch today of breasted dove taken from our bird traps. Simple square wooden crates with chicken wire and popcorn! Pull the string, drop the trap and insant food.

Wood stove back up has been great! Well, will debrief soon! Also tea light candles placed in small mason jars with sand in the bottom has been awsome for light. We have batteries but trying out every sytem we have in a real world situation.

Glad to hear you and the family is okay Jerry. I own some land in Cherokee Village, AR and it just dawned on me that had I been there (and I wouldn't in the winter) I would have been in the mist of the storm. One thing is reassuring is you are a prepper. I bet few people are laughing at you now! Stay warm, be safe and I will definitely be looking forward to reading your debrief when the worst of it clears.

jerry

sorry to hear about your situation out there.

here is a great opportunity to give us a blow by blow and how you used your situation to practice for the

real deal. (if there is a bright side) kinda like a mini story. would be very interested in reading such a thing myself sir.

well... now 8 days with nopower. We are really learning how woefully inadequate our plans are. The crews are close to us. Trees down everywhere is slowing them up. But we can drive to town, eat at restraunts or buy more supplies. It isnt as if our whole country is down. So, painless so far. A great trial run, and my wonderful family to sit and discuss and prepare some more with. We also have had no sun now for 10 days. So solar is down to nothing. BUT!!! We had back up for that. woodfired everything, propane and generator. BUT we refuse to use anything that takes gas or propane. Trying to learn to do without that convenience. Generator is run occasionally to keep our deep freezers and refrigerator cold!

well... now 8 days with nopower. We are really learning how woefully inadequate our plans are. The crews are close to us. Trees down everywhere is slowing them up. But we can drive to town, eat at restraunts or buy more supplies. It isnt as if our whole country is down. So, painless so far. A great trial run, and my wonderful family to sit and discuss and prepare some more with. We also have had no sun now for 10 days. So solar is down to nothing. BUT!!! We had back up for that. woodfired everything, propane and generator. BUT we refuse to use anything that takes gas or propane. Trying to learn to do without that convenience. Generator is run occasionally to keep our deep freezers and refrigerator cold!

Sounds Great that you have a plan in place and can adapt to what is going on..

Good time to get everyone in the New Plan.. I do hope you get your power back soon..keep us informed..b matt

Ok so wide mouth pint mason jar's sand in bottom...tee candles..

how about a little aluminum foil on the out side,to direct the lite?

Let me know ..lol

I've lived with candles as my major light sourse myself,and can tell ya that this is a good idea,but a chunk cut out of 1 of those cheap mylar "blankets" works much better. Hope you are all doing good,and it does sound almost fun!

POWER is restored exactly on the schedule these American workers said. This story isnt about us or who were affected by the power failure due to ice.. it is about the brave folks who worked in those condoitions for 16 hr days and are still working in those conditions of rain and cold and falling limbs. I will start a debrief on a new thread. it will be entiltled: ice storm Debrief 10 days with out power 2012. it might be wordy and long but we learned alot more this time. yes it did happen to us in 2000 and lasted 6 days.

POWER is restored exactly on the schedule these American workers said. This story isnt about us or who were affected by the power failure due to ice.. it is about the brave folks who worked in those condoitions for 16 hr days and are still working in those conditions of rain and cold and falling limbs. I will start a debrief on a new thread. it will be entiltled: ice storm Debrief 10 days with out power 2012. it might be wordy and long but we learned alot more this time. yes it did happen to us in 2000 and lasted 6 days.

we hope it is wordy and long. we like reports like that.

yes high 5's to all the guys and gals who worked hardto

get everything back to normal. may they spend their

richly rewarding overtime checks like they want to.

they made a bundle for it too.