Sign in to follow this  
ready13

Deer harvests

How have your deer harvests been this year so far? I have only SEEN 3 deer this season myself. From what I have heard and been reading numbers have been down nationwide this year. Just curious how folks on the forum have been dooing. The weather up here in CT has been abnormal even by New England standards so far.

I saw 5 in a back canyon before season and 7 in a protected area that expected me to feed them. The later part was a little sad to see what tourist do to animals survival skills.

JSC is part of a game preserve so no hunting. Deer herds here are quite large. I was surprised that even with the water shortages the deer did well. Of course the various ponds and such kept the water supply up for them and the rest of the nature preserve is on a bayou that has water year round. I'm just surprised at the increase in a difficult year, weather wise.

Ready,

hotter or colder, wetter or dryer in your area this year?

Im hoping maybe things will change up here soon. This is so far our third wettest year on record with a month to go yet. The temps are warmer too. I think the deer are just very confused. Today is Nov 28th and our forecast highs are 62-68. I am glad to hear deer are doing well elsewhere though.

Weather the last few years are strange. The geese started flying south in August this year which makes it sound like they think it will be a cold winter.

Check out what the pros think at

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/wsi-late-fall-early-winter-outlook_2011-09-19

and

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/noaa-winter-outlook_2011-10-20

warmer and drier for us, wetter and cooler for you guys.

The UK folks are looking at wet and cold as well:

http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

Europe as well

http://unofficialnetworks.com/europe-winter-weather-forecast-alps-snow-predictions-2011-2012-49657/

AND TEXAS NEEDS RAIN!

So far it seems pretty normal. Went out these weekend and got a buck. In Alabama its been pretty warm and there is a large acorn crop, so they don't need or want to move a lot. On a related note, anyone got good recipes for cooking a back-strap?

So far it seems pretty normal. Went out these weekend and got a buck. In Alabama its been pretty warm and there is a large acorn crop, so they don't need or want to move a lot. On a related note, anyone got good recipes for cooking a back-strap?

I like it grilled without any fancy marinade or sauce. Salt & Pepper.

For me the best thing is to cut the backstrop into steaks/medallions and place them in a container with a cut up onion and few garlic cloves. Since smell is most of what we taste this kills the "gamey" taste that sometimes occurs. Works even better if you have large container and place meat, onion, garlic into small collander and let the juice drop into container. I put mine in fridge the morning or lunch time of day I want to grill.

East side of Atlanta has plenty. Saw 5 looking in the kitchen window the other morning. Really surprised me. I see them in the woods from time to time but they were eating acorns under the tree in my front yard. I haven't deer hunted for some years but my son and grandsons do and they see them all the time.