Sign in to follow this  
Sonoran6

12 gauge Mini Shells

MOSSBERGS 500/590s will cycle minishells pretty well once the shooter acquires a "feeling" as to how to pump the action

middle of page

TNoutdoors9 does ammo and firearm reviews on YouTube, he will be doing a review on these after the beginning of the year.

they are not worth messing with a good hang and your bollixed up and you know murphy

it is always when you need the gun the most, and could be left loaded with them.

that is why I use one load all the time I know its trajectories and pattern for my shotguns

once its works quit fixing it.

I've played with these shells a bit. I like them, but have had some feed issues in just about ever shot gun I'ved used them in unless it was operating at turtle pace. You can braze a small tab onto your shell lifter that allegedly corrects 99% of feed problems. I've not done it myself but I've seen a Remington 870 that was so modified and it seemed to work.

OK ... interesting concept but why? More rounds in the tube, I understand - the only time you can have too much ammo is if your on fire but again, why? I can get shotguns with up to 15 rounds (Kel Tec KSG) if you really think you will NEED more than 5 shots but barring a military mission, I have trouble seeing the need. The reduced performance of the mini-shell might be an argument against over penetration, I guess, but so is #4 shot. It does seem to be a solution in search of a problem.:confused:

Edited by Capt Bart

OK ... interesting concept but why? More rounds in the tube, I understand - the only time you can have too much ammo is if your on fire but again, why? I can get shotguns with up to 15 rounds (Kel Tec KSG) if you really think you will NEED more than 5 sots but barring a military mission, I have trouble seeing the need. The reduced performance of the mini-shell might be an argument against over penetration, I guess, but so is #4 shot. It does seem to be a solution in search of a problem.:confused:

The KSG is listed as feeding 1 3/4" to 3" shells But not magnum curiously this is a awesome shotgun but while MRSP is $880 I have not seen one for less than $1400

They also have a #4 and #1 shot combo shell in 1 3/4" as well as a 7 1/2

I may well order a box or two to see if my new England 870 clone feeds them ok will let you know if I do

Edited by DonDon

The KSG is listed as feeding 1 3/4" to 3" shells But not magnum curiously this is a awesome shotgun but while MRSP is $880 I have not seen one for less than $1400

They also have a #4 and #1 shot combo shell in 1 3/4" as well as a 7 1/2

I may well order a box or two to see if my new England 870 clone feeds them ok will let you know if I do

you can shoot any length shell including the Agila mini shells in the proper gauge shotgun

now how they pattern that is up to each gun.

If all a person had for a shotgun is a single shot, double barrel or over and under that can shoot up to

3 1/2 inch magnum they could shoot all shells and with adapters they could shoot all the other gauges.

I like a pump for 2 reasons quick followup shots and shells that have been dropped or out of round

can be forced into the chamber automatic shotguns can hang on a swollen shell and make it

difficult to eject if not jamb the gun.

And if all I had was mini shells I would use them or if I was given or got a hell of a deal I would get them

I just got 300 rounds of 38 special lead 148 grn round nose UMC for 20 bucks the brass is almost worth

that and my revolvers don't care at pistol distances they shoot within 6 inches up and down {stringing}

due to weights from 130 to 160 grain magnum and special loadings.

in other words do not look a gift horse in the mouth if nothing else it can be trading stock.

I picked up a couple of boxes at the gun show last time I was there. Thoungt 2 boxes for $25.00, what the hell interesting concept, let's see how it would work.

1.) I can fit 14+1 in my gun. Pretty good since it's normally a 7+1 with full size rounds.

2.) the feed spring and loading ramp combo makes cycling the weapon tricky because the shells are so short and light they don't pop out and lay down on the loading ramp. I have mis-feed jams about every 4-5 pumps just dry cycling the weapon. The only "fix" I came up with was a mix load in the tube. Load 8 minis and 3 2 3/4" shells. (I think the spring is more relaxed by the time it is tossing the minis out, so doesn't throw them as hard) Kiind of defeats the purpose if you have to mix sizes, doesn't it?

3.) got to take them out to the range to see how they really work. (Will edit post after trip to range.)

Still like the concept but see problems in the execution. When the defication contacts the rotoary ocilator do you want to have to remember that you have to do something speaical to stay in the fight?

Ben,

Still like the concept but see problems in the execution. When the defication contacts the rotoary ocilator do you want to have to remember that you have to do something speaical to stay in the fight?

Everybody has good ideas that won't work - fact of life is that Murphy is a bloody optimist. Knowing that when I'm shooting 'for score' I am scared and stupid I do NOT want there to be ANY doubt about the fact that the tool I am using to keep myself above room temperature will function correctly 100 % of the time. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Snake,

the absolute, beyond any doubt or argument, fastest second shot in the known universe is a second barrel. That is why so many of the African Big 5 hunters and their professional guides/hunters carried double rifles. I can get my second shot at the same time as my first shot if I really want to do that and my shoulder doesn't fall off. I really LIKE doubles for that reason. Of course it is a really slow third shot but that's the price you pay for simplicity and immediate speed on the second shot.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart