Sign in to follow this  
101matt

Gun grab Part..2..coming soon..

I can't believe how quickly the public opinion has shifted on this issue. Yes, mass shootings are terrible and this one is particularly heinous, but this is a mental health issue, not a "gun control" issue. Unfortunately, mental health treatment requires time and money this media driven public is unwilling or unable to commit, so we get the this feel-good placebo for the left. Rather than limit citizens' rights, I think we should outlaw the movie Taxi Driver instead. ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME?

TexasBill LMAO you must have forgotten that D.C. is full of mentally deluded A-holes and narcissists sexual deviates and

enablers and control freaks so how do you think them trying to work out a plan for a sanity check it is in essence like

the inmates running the asylum

YOUR MAKING A JOKE RIGHT, RIGHT you were not really serious LOL

just pulling your chain TexasBill.. but I think you see what i mean

Gotta get that visual outta my head...

A porthole is a window in the side of a boat.

Okay, splain to me how " starboard is right ": " port is left". Correct? Is a port hole a left hole? Anyway you look at it, it's more arse to Xerox.

LMAO@snake

Fat fingered the keyboard.

Ok...I will explain...sorta.

In the old old old days, when ships <think galleys and viking long boats> had a steering oar that was used to guide the ship, that oar was on the right hand side of the ship.

So when they pulled into the port they could not put that side of the ship up against the pier or warf...hence the port side. The term starboard side comes from the term steorbord.

Ok...I will explain...sorta.

In the old old old days, when ships <think galleys and viking long boats> had a steering oar that was used to guide the ship, that oar was on the right hand side of the ship.

So when they pulled into the port they could not put that side of the ship up against the pier or warf...hence the port side. The term starboard side comes from the term steorbord.

VB,

correct but not quite complete. The original terms were Starboard and Larboard. Larboard came from laddeborde or to load. The starboard side was away from the dock to protect the steering gear from damage and the boat was "laden" or loaded from the dock or port side. There was a case (British I think) were an admiral ordered a course change, 'hard to larboard' and the helm heard "starboard". The flagship was rammed, sank and the terms were changed.

Happens in all kinds of areas where words that sound alike can mean critically different things. Back in the Prop airliner days, the flight engineer often had more control over the engines than the pilots. A landing airliner (a Constellation I think) had a smaller plane pull on the runway in his path so the captain called for 'take off power' meaning everything that engines could give. The engineer, knowing they were landing heard "TAKE OFF POWER" so he took off power, pulling the engines to idle. The Captain managed to bounce the Connie over the DC-3 so there was no bent metal but I WOULD NOT want to have to wash their underwear that day.:rolleyes: From that day on, "TAKE OFF POWER" disappeared from the lexicon and was replaced with "METO" power (maximum except takeoff) or "GO AROUND POWER". Misunderstandings can HURT.

Ya, I knew the larboard term as well, but I was trying to keep it simple.

They also used to steer with the bottom of the helm being your reference point...so if you wanted to do a hard left you'd say, "Hard to starboard", which is probably why the admiral got his boat rammed and sunk. His helmsman had the same problem that your flight engineer did.

Sorry, Snake, that was my effort at both a pleas for sanity and a joke. I was watching a program last night where a Maryland task force proposed strengthening the existing laws to allow mental health professionals to have greater freedom to perform "checks" on people they perceive to be a danger to themselves or others, including involuntary commitments and confiscation of frearms. Scary and a slippery slope. On the other hand, since HIPPA laws are used to shield disturbed individuals from being identified in the current federal background check system, they can walk right up to the table, lie on the form, and not get caught while completing their purchases.

I think the idea of going beyond the 1994 AWB is going to come back and bite Feinstein in the ass. To get everything "registered" under the NFA should be non-starter for every gun owner in America, and we need to get our voice out there to point out the absurdity of what is proposed. Second we need to attack the tax side of the equation but no way in heck should we concede on registration. We all know that registration leads to confiscation. Not that I have anything other than my trusty slingshot, but the Man will come for it too, eventually. I might use it to launch "assault" rocks. In that same vein, go google some of the absurd laws that been enacted in Australia and England regarding swords, knives and sticks. If the thugs can't get their hands on firearms, they don't stop killing and stealing, they just adapt.