Sign in to follow this  
rezmut

Burros

Would someone be kind enough to give me a little info on burros? I know they live "WILD" arround here,so they must be able to eat rough, but,I'm wondering how they would be as a substatute for a horse-pull a cultivator,small wagon etc,and as a pack animal? Are they friendly,or like a camel where they'll do what ya make'em but sortof like hold a grudge?(things are likely to get mean enough post SHTF without havin' to worry about 1 of my critters out to get me too)lol

Now RICK,I know you're just tryin' to get out of pulling me in that red wagon you told me to get!lol

LMAO..... yeah, he would do that.

Rez, from what I understand, burros aren't as ornery as mules. They can pull small carts and smaller loads, but they are also smaller, so don't eat as much either.

in another post I commented about burro's or donkeys are great protectors for your sheep goats and chickens

they will fight any animal that comes into their territory at least most will so having a pair a jennet and a jack

either a miniature or normal size.

they are different from mules in many ways but they can be like people some have a better personality than others

be kind and rub and pat them start slow but you can train them to haul and pull a rake or even a small furrow

or ride them they need some harness and leads to adapt and make it comfortable for them to work

a breeder is a good source of information.

you need to remember they are not a ox or a full grown mule but they can pull a small cart like a

garden cart with bicycle wheels I have never had them pull but I would imagine they would do as good and way longer

than a human can a beast of burden needs to be understood it will work itself to exhaustion it is up to you to care for them

and make sure your not letting them get over heated etc all I can say if you eat they eat if you drink they drink if you need a break so do they if you need shade or bugs are bothering you consider the animal also.

oh she is indeed. one of the smartest ive ever met. her family are all scientists. (seriously)

shes been known to be wrong on occation. this was one of them. :P

I thought I was wrong once-turned out I was mistaken. lol