Sign in to follow this  
CCSir

Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

i think this part is the most accurate out of his 10 year study...

"Take a look at the data. I hope it helps you decide what weapon to carry. No matter which gun you choose, pick one that is reliable and train with it until you can get fast accurate hits. Nothing beyond that really matters!"

the kicker being, TRAIN til you get fast ACCURATE Hits...

Crazy Rebel,

I agree completely. I have seen SO much info on the internet about a .380 not being an effective round for self defense. It all depends on tactics and shot placement. Would I use a .380 in the same manner in which I would use a .45? Absolutely not and wouldn't expect too.

I also see arguments stating why would you get a mouse gun in .380 when you can get something close to the same size in 9mm? Well felt recoil had a lot to do with my decisions. Also even though they are "close to" the same size, they are still larger.

Carry what you want and train with it till you are proficient and accurate.

JMHO

The article was a good read and informative but i agree with CCSir carry what you want and train with it. I took all3 of my daughters and let them pick thier own home defense and personal carry handgun. The salesman tried to get them to pick either 9mm or 380. They chose Walther P22 he told them they didnt have the stopping power. After each put 10 rnds. in 3 in. circle at 30 ft. they ask him if that would stop anyone. All the ballistics in the world does'nt take the place of a well placed shot. And yes guys I'm bragging on them. They chose the walthers because of faster 2nd shot recovery, less expensive to practice with, oh yeah and they came in pink. yeah yeah I know

The article was a good read and informative but i agree with CCSir carry what you want and train with it. I took all3 of my daughters and let them pick thier own home defense and personal carry handgun. The salesman tried to get them to pick either 9mm or 380. They chose Walther P22 he told them they didnt have the stopping power. After each put 10 rnds. in 3 in. circle at 30 ft. they ask him if that would stop anyone. All the ballistics in the world does'nt take the place of a well placed shot. And yes guys I'm bragging on them. They chose the walthers because of faster 2nd shot recovery, less expensive to practice with, oh yeah and they came in pink. yeah yeah I know

Uh, Silverwolf, you, uh, know that if, uh, you get killed by a PINK (really?) gun St. Peter won't let you into heaven. I can see it now - "you got shot with a WHAT? You go to hell!" I took my grand daughter to the range Saturday. First time shooting, her and my daughter-in-law both. Is it just me or are the ladies really that much better than we are. It's scarey the way they put rounds on the target so quickly.

I agree, if they will shoot a P22 and practice then they should have them. In Texas you used to have to use at least a .38 to get your CHL. If there is a min caliber where you are then when they are ready for a CHL they should practice enough with the min caliber, pass their CHL and then carry what fits their hand.

Sounds like you have a reason to be proud, Papa.

...... Is it just me or are the ladies really that much better than we are. It's scarey the way they put rounds on the target so quickly........

They dont overthink it. Same with kids and hunting. THey just shoot instinctively.

I saw a 7 year old on the trap range with a gun bigger then him hitting every clay years back. At that point it's like WTF?! I've been shooting longer then you have been alive. What are they feeding you and where can I get some!?

But as far as stopping power goes getting shot 10 time with a .22 will stop you faster then getting missed(? whats the verb for not getting shot?) with a .44 So ultimately it is going to come down to what is the most powerful cartridge your comfortable shooting and can you afford to shoot it regularly enough to stay in practice.

capt.(I swear St. Peter it was dark i could'nt see what color the gun was.) They were taught to shoot using a 9 mm which is what they are using to get their CCW's. The thing is they shoot those just as well as they do the little walthers. They like to shoot alot so the 22 was the most economical for now. Seen a show on the idiot box where they made 1911 colt pink for a lady. a pink 22 is one thing but to do that to a 1911 come on. Autonomous they out shoot me once in awhile because of bad ammo (hey it's my lie and i'm sticking to it).:rolleyes:

Pink 1911 could have been worse. Imagine if they had bedazzled it. :eek:

http://gunholsters.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/hello-kitty-sig-sauer-p226.jpg

OK, that is just WRONG

I don't care who you are - to do that to Mr. Browning's masterpiece is sacrilegious! :mad: GRUMP!

Good grief, I wonder who they found to do this to a .45 ACP and I wonder how much he got for doing it. It should have been 7 to life but hey, at least the owner is packing but ... REALLY?

I just have to share this..

When my wife and I were just married 6 years ago I wanted to make sure she could shoot the .38 special she had.I took my 9mm,ruger.My wonderfull wife is shooting a target at 30 foot and doing a 4inch pattern,Im impressed,she switches hands ,does the same yep Im impressed.Three stalls down is her Doctor.Gyno.Who I know also.He is shooting a 40calGLOCK at a target 15foot away.1 mag and 3 hits,and he comes down and shows us,he be very proud..Being polite we nod our heads and smile.he ask to see My wifes target..OK ..."Dear,He says, I can see Im going to be more gental with you on your next visit"...as I live and breath and may the lord strike me down if Im lying...So its about practice...nuf said..

Edited by 101matt

I just have to share this..

When my wife and I were just married 6 years ago I wanted to make sure she could shoot the .38 special she had.I took my 9mm,ruger.My wonderfull wife is shooting a target at 30 foot and doing a 4inch pattern,Im impressed,she switches hands ,does the same yep Im impressed.Three stalls down is her Doctor.Gyno.Who I know also.He is shooting a 40calGLOCK at a target 15foot away.1 mag and 3 hits,and he comes down and shows us,he be very proud..Being polite we nod our heads and smile.he ask to see My wifes target..OK ..."Dear,He says, I can see Im going to be more gental with you on your next visit"...as I live and breath and may the lord strike me down if Im lying...So its about practice...nuf said..

Matt,

for us guys it is definitely about practice. Above a certain level I'm sure it is for the ladies as well but I swear the ladies just naturally shoot better than we do. Why I don't know but they do. I think the reason there is a "ladies" division in so many shooting sports is so that the men won't be embarrassed by the ladies' shooting skills. It is frustrating but there it is.

I read "once"

anywho that The reason women did better because they had no preconceived Ideas or ego

involvement / vested in the action had better concentration and dexterity.

Men on the other hand are concerned about their group status if they fail at anything.

thus competition and ego added anxiety to the activity or preconceived / imagined

performance if overestimated caused frustration that effected concentration and dexterity.

I guess that is where learning young as a boy with a patient teacher alleviated anxiety

and built confidence in my case.

All I know I have trained many women and had less trouble and more effective time spent.

they listened and were aware of the danger, men oblivious to danger and just wanted to start

and were so intent on action I had to watch their face to insure they were absorbing the safety

information.

Women even if I was not watching them directly they were intently watching and listening and

asking questions.

another thing that the male students did less than their female counterparts ask questions.

my only thought was that they may have considered the question silly.

There are no stupid questions we all think differently or have different types of education like

some are more theoretical and others are more applied application.

I try not to figure out which I look at their eyes and facial expressions and can tell if I am properly

instructing the individual sometimes I have to change strategies or pace.

I like teaching individuals over groups.

Im glad Im moveing up to .45

I beleve in the theory of Bamb,Bamb,Bamb...groin , chest , head...the muzzle is moving up of its own acord anyways..

If Im pulling/ Im not trying to wound..JMO..

If Glazer safety slugs were made for the S&W 500 that would be the one but then the

reconstruction of the crime would resemble NTSB picking up the pieces to reconstruct it

elsewhere as the DUDE would be splattered all over the place.

bet them CSI boys and girls run out of numbered markers on that scene..

and 101matt this part has nothing to do with your post

A note to those who are not gun / projectile savvy there is no shooting to wound

any arterial hit can cause a bleed out I like the old Hollywood "he just got it in the shoulder"

well that is a very dangerous place part of the Subclavian artery and the Brachial artery that

extends down the arms.

So though your intentions may be generous to allow the person to survive they may not or

worse they may survive,

so now you got a live lying and conniving person out for vengeance so lots of luck with that.

JMO