Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rezmut

Ready made large cache?

13 posts in this topic

I wanted to keep some stuff stashed at my BOL,and have been using 5gal buckets,which I fill almost full,then put a chunk of dry ice in,letting it melt to almost gone,then putting the top on and sealing it with tape(in effect a primative nitro-pac). Anyway,an inlaw recently had a large chest freezer go out, and I was thinking of using it sort of the same way. It looks to me like it should work pretty well-it's fairly sturdy,with a fiberglass liner,it seals with a rubber gasket,and it even locks. I measured, and it will easily hold 10 5gal buckets(Ifigure 6months pluss worth of food for 2) and still have room left over for some other stuff I want to keep there. It's real dry here,so do I need to paint it with asphalt emmission or anything like that before I put it in a hole with a few inches of dirt over it( I wanna be able to get into it fairly easy to get out tools etc.) Any input besides the usual about caches being unsecured storage?-once again,where I'm doing this is remote enough and hidden enough that the chances of anyone finding it are realyrealyrealy slim.

I'm not entirely sure, but i would assume that anything that gives you an air tight, water tight seal should be fine. I think if it were me i would toss in some oxygen absorbers, and then seal it. Redundancy works miracles in my opinion.

Thanks Grant,I think I might give that a try,this is high dessert,so water probably wouldnt be a problem,but Iwould like to do something to make it a little bit more weather resistant:and besides"nothin says love like JOHN DEERE green!"

Lmao I have a good buddy who takes his truck off the frame and paints it with tractor paint to prevent rust. Here in mo a bad winter with a lot of salt can cause problems after a few winters.

we have a storage container for cache made out of a fiberglass septic tank. totally waterprof. so far! Now, here we have a water table issue. So we buried it and landscaped around it. it blends in to our landscaping so well even my wife asks: "where is this cache again??" The entry point is the weak spot for us. It has a cover but it stiill is the entry point for evryone and moisture as well and the occasional critter. We got ours new. LOL I found a used one for free but I said no thanks. Man can you imagine trying to clean one out for repurposeing? LOL we have the 1500 gallon for storage btw.

I like the septic tank idea, I might do that myself. As far waterproofing a cache, I think I would get rhinoliner, like they use for truck beds, that stuff is tough, but spendy.

Been seeing the commercials for flex seal all the time, and it popped into my head when I read this...

We tried to repair an old portable water tank with flex seal and it didn't work for spit.For all their hype and commercials, I was under impressed by the stuff! by the way,the freezer is working out real good-just had 3 days of rain,and stuff inside stayed nice and dry.