Krauss

Guide To Basic Unarmed Combat

The Basics Of Unarmed Fighting:

I and some Martial Artists of Fight Tips.com have compiled an unofficial list of fighting Guidelines. I don’t want to say rules, because there aren’t any in fighting and you’ll have to break them from time to time, but there are certain things that are effective in a fight and things you should really try to avoid.

1)Don’t go to the ground. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Wrestling, and other grappling arts are very valuable things to know, and they just might save your life. But, if you take a fight to the ground unnecessarily, you become vulnerable to stomps, head smashing on the ground, AND if your assailant has friends that start kicking/stomping you, you have nowhere to go.

2)Don’t Kick Above The Waist. This is a touchy subject among fighters, because so many different martial arts emphasize head kicks and flashy spin kicks. But in a real fight, the risks of high kicks outweigh the benefits. You’re putting yourself in a position where you’re unbalanced and you can be easily knocked over. And then you’re on the ground. For ground fighting please refer to Guideline #1.

3)Always Assume The Worst. If you’re thinking fist fight and the other guy is thinking knife fight to the death, you’re in for a world of hurt. So, always assume that the other is armed and/or has backup and be prepared to deal with that.

4)K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid. The simplest attacks like the leg kick and Jab-Cross combo are the things most likely to work. So, keep the UFC Spinning Back-Fists and Billy Jack Crescent Kicks out of the fight. ESPECIALLY if you don’t actually know how to do those moves.

5)Keep Your ‘Box’ Closed. This means keep your elbows tucked in, your arms close, and your fists guarding your face. Not all, but most un-trained fighters will be throwing one of three types of punches: The Haymaker, a wide hook, or a hybrid of the two that looks kind of like a hammer fist to the body. All of those come from outside ‘the box’, so if you keep it closed, you’re fairly well protected from them.

Only Bruce Lee can fight like this.[ATTACH=CONFIG]1720[/ATTACH]

6)Fight Dirty. This is not a high school fight were talking about. It’s life or death. So break his fingers if you go to the ground, bite, eye gouge, groin shot, etc.

Basic Fighting Techniques:

How To Punch:

Blocking A Punch:

Basic Holds:

Takedowns And Ground Fighting:

Dirty Fighting:

Other Info Of Interest:

I also wanted to include a quote in here somewhere: “A man can’t stand, he can’t fight. A man can’t breathe, he can’t fight. A man can’t see, he can’t fight.” –From The Karate Kid. I wanted to throw this quote in because, although the Karate Kid isn’t a great learning source for Martial Arts, this is actually solid advice in my opinion. If you attack the throat and he can’t breathe, he’s stunned long enough for you to leave. If you break his kneecap with a kick, he can’t get back up and fight you. If you attack the eyes, it’ll be hard to fight you if he can’t see you.

Fighting Armed Attackers:

I’m not very knowledgeable about disarming guns, and I have absolutely NO experience with it, so I won’t try to give advice on it. But I can point out a few basic things on fighting against a knife or blunt weapon.

Knives: “Knives are easy to hide. They don’t jam, and they never run out of bullets.” -From ‘Wanted’.

The main danger of knives comes from there versatility. If you grab someone’s wrist and they are holding a knife, they just twist their wrist, slash yours and then gut you. Yeah. They can be used in a wide devastating slashing motion or they can be used as quick stabs. They can be used in hammer grip or back handed. They can be hidden in a pocket or held in the hand where you can’t see it.

They best way for someone untrained in knife work is to 'drive' through the attack. This means you need to see the knife coming and push the hand back toward the attacker while at the same time making a motion like you are pushing a car. I know that can sound a little confusing, but that’s the best way I can phrase it. Some people will tell you to take the knife into the arm to trap it. Don’t. There is no point in injuring yourself without need. And remember, a knife is just as dangerous on the ground as standing up. Don’t grapple.

Bats and Batons: These are not as dangerous as a gun or a knife but still very dangerous. The main power of a stick weapon is the very tip. This is the fastest moving part and has the most energy. If you swing a bat you can feel the force trying to pull it out of your hand.

There are two basic ways of defending from stick weapons. The first is backing out of the arc of attack, waiting for it to pass, then attacking on the open side of the body. This takes timing and if you can I would recommend practicing slowly with a friend. The second one is attacking before the attacker can move the weapon into attack position. Most likely he has a bat. These take a little work to move around. Shoot in on the inside. Attack the attackers functions. The key to fighting a stick armed attack is getting close to the attacker. Just think of them as really heavy haymakers.

Fighting Multiple Attackers:

-Hit n' run: if this fight situation seems fatal, Throw your hits, make some distance, then get the hell outta there! Run to a public area like a Wal-Mart or a church, people would be less likely to jump you in a decently guarded store!

-Use obstacle to your advantage, but be careful. Run in between cars, and hop fences, but STAY visible to the public.

-Be wary of the locations of the attackers at all times, to the best of your ability. Note the ones that are wielding knives, or are extremely aggressive.

-If you have no other option but to stand your ground and fight, then you will seriously need to show some ferociousness. When attacking, scream and roar. Scare them off, and do as much damage as possible. Aim for eyes, throat, groin, ears, --bite, scratch, elbow, head butt, etc.

-Attack weak points on the body, nose, throat, eyes, testicles, kidneys, jugular veins, sides of the knees, solar plexus.

Fighting Larger Attackers:

Chances are you might have to fight someone larger than you. So, it’s probably smart to keep a few things in mind when doing so.

If someone is fat they probably are going to weigh more than you, so this means that:

- If neither of you are trained then they will probably have the harder punches. (more weight = more power)

- When the fight gets into some grabbing or goes to the ground their added weight is going to make it a lot harder for you shove them around and if they get on top of you then you're in some trouble. But this doesn't mean you should succumb to defeat. Keep moving, keep striking, look for sweeps and up kicks. Use any ground experience that you have and try to get the dominant position or to get back up again. Just be careful!

- Their weight also means that they are likely to be slower; in moving around, in throwing techniques and getting out of the way of things. You need to use this to your advantage!

A few other things on fat people:

- Mostly they will get tired quicker than thinner people, this isn't always going to happen but it is pretty common.

- The fat acts as a bit of a cushion, protecting the body. It means they are less likely to get hurt by body shots, however it doesn't protect other areas anymore than normal.

Now for some tips on fighting them:

(NB this is where it helps if you have some training)

- Remembering the things I mentioned before the first thing is to keep your distance.

If they are going to be throwing hard punches then you don't want to be caught by it. So keep them at a distance, move around. Don't get too carried away, you still need to win the fight and all.

This also means that you won't get taken down by their superior weight.

- Be fast. When you strike at them you have to try do it quickly and when moving away from them do it quickly. Let them chase you.

- Tire them out. If you're moving, making them miss, then they will get tired.

The tired they get, the worse they become. So if you have time go for it.

- Don’t forget to use dirty tactics if you get in trouble, kick them in the balls, poke them in the eyes, whatever... It's about winning not about getting points for being a gentleman!

- Always remember to play to your strengths and avoid theirs. So like I've said above; don’t do anything that lets them use their weight and at the same time do things that you can do well.

- Throw your punches in combos. Using mostly straight punches (your longest ranged punches), step in, throw a combo, then step out of range (with your hands up and guarding).

- If you can kick use that to stay out at range. But only if you are trained to kick. Otherwise it is too risky. Even if you are trained don't go above the waist: there is too much risk of being taken down.

So there's some pretty general tips on fighting fatter people.

RAN OUT OF SPACE. LARGER OPPONENT FIGHTING CONTINUED:

Now people who are taller than you:

- Tall people don’t have as many things to mention as fat people but the main thing to be careful of is their reach.

Since they are tall they will have longer legs and arms, and so will be able to keep you away. Hitting you while you can't hit back.

- Real tall people, who are almost freakishly tall do have some problems with speed, and they can't quite do anything quickly.

BUT this is only a possibility, they might not be tall, you might just be small.

So don’t assume that if they are tall then they are slow.

- Of course don't forget that tall people could also weigh more than you as well. But I just told you all about fighting people like that!

So tips on fighting them:

( Fighting tall people is a bit more specific than fighting fat people, as there are less things to consider.)

-Again the main thing is their reach advantage: they may not be a trained fighter and not know what to do with this, but even then it will still work in their favor.

- So, you need to get in close.

- Wait until they throw a punch, try avoid it by slipping FORWARD (not backward), then push in.

- Body Clinch them tightly around their lower waist, and work leg trips or slams.

- Try to get them down as quickly as possible, so they can't get you away.

- Don’t be afraid, if you keep backing up, they're going to get you.

- Again if you need to, fight dirty.

- When you get in closer throw tight, hooking punches, or overhand punches.

Let me know if you guys liked this. I hope it's okay for me to post this. And tell me if you think I left something important out, we can work something into it and make it better :)

Thanks, Krauss. Some good thoughts. Just remember a couple of things: I have never seen a knife fight where the 'winner' wasn't also bloody and never talk before the fight. If you've got to fight, start it, start it FAST (first punch often wins) and start it as VIOLENT as you possibly can. Only an idiot (or Chuck Norris who is definitely NOT an idiot) gets into a fight over something as trivial as money. If there are weapons involved it IS a fight to the death. Don't be there if at all possible. If not avoidable just remember, the sooner it is over, the less bloody you are likely to get.

Just my not so humble opinion.

General non specific thought

the only problem with fighting you have to have a lot of practice to be good and it helps to have a high pain threshold

and a hard head.

I have found you need to have street fighting experience as well as some form{s} at least some good moves from

many arts wrestling judo jujitsu boxing wing chung etc etc. so a dojo is a must go OH wear a cup.

not being squeamish being willing and able to rip or gouge someones eyes out snatch off their lower lip and ears and other techniques.helps to soften up your opponent.

where ever the head or lip goes the body will follow, grappling well I have done it all my life we did not have a name for it

we just called it bar or street fighting.

My only complaint is that Detroit makes lousy vehicle antennas today you use to could fight off an army with one now

a q-tip would be better.

but now you can rip off a cheesy plastic bumper and look real menacing yep as the world turns so does my stomach.

General non specific thought

the only problem with fighting you have to have a lot of practice to be good and it helps to have a high pain threshold

and a hard head.

I have found you need to have street fighting experience as well as some form{s} at least some good moves from

many arts wrestling judo jujitsu boxing wing chung etc etc. so a dojo is a must go OH wear a cup.

not being squeamish being willing and able to rip or gouge someones eyes out snatch off their lower lip and ears and other techniques.helps to soften up your opponent.

where ever the head or lip goes the body will follow, grappling well I have done it all my life we did not have a name for it

we just called it bar or street fighting.

My only complaint is that Detroit makes lousy vehicle antennas today you use to could fight off an army with one now

a q-tip would be better.

but now you can rip off a cheesy plastic bumper and look real menacing yep as the world turns so does my stomach.

Hell that's half the fun

I know people I did not want to fight either but that never stopped me working in a prison it is not like you have a choice,

and they got kung fu fighters that might give bruce lee more than a moments fun and knife/shank wielding nutballs and

spear chunkers {made with a mop handle} and trashcan lid shield,

besides if you run away every time you think your going to get your azz whipped you'll never leave home.

Hey want some real excitement manage biker, Hispanic and nude bars now that's where the actions at.

furniture knifes guns even had a few naked women thrown at me {I was always hoping to stick the landing but I was way to busy}

Hell that's half the fun

I know people I did not want to fight either but that never stopped me working in a prison it is not like you have a choice,

and they got kung fu fighters that might give bruce lee more than a moments fun and knife/shank wielding nutballs and

spear chunkers {made with a mop handle} and trashcan lid shield,

besides if you run away every time you think your going to get your azz whipped you'll never leave home.

Hey want some real excitement manage biker, Hispanic and nude bars now that's where the actions at.

furniture knifes guns even had a few naked women thrown at me {I was always hoping to stick the landing but I was way to busy}

Lmao!! I've never been in a bar fight, but I can say honestly that I've never run away from a match, even when I knew I'd lose.

that's the spirit never let see the fear in your shorts, I mean eyes grab a chunk and hang on.

well in the real world you can get away with anything but the grand jury, but in sparing well they got rules.

Yep. To be honest, if someone pulled a knife on me in real life, though, I'd be outta there in a heartbeat if I saw the opportunity to run. It's nice to know how to defend against one anyway though.

Having HAD to "fight" in a previous career wherein we were called to break up bar fights, I learned EARLY on while in the military, that when you first enter a bar fight, as in enter the b uilding, step qujickly to one side or the other. if not, you WILL find a fist(like me) with your face/eyes/nose(like me) or articles of furniture coming your way. If you are in law enforcement and you are there to break up the fight, expect to fight the entire bar, once you show up. Yes, boys and girls, it DOES always turn out the way; regardless of it being a biker, nude, Hispanic, rough trade, high income, low income, well-heeled, or other kind of alcoholic establishment, the whole place turns on you when you get there.

Not a "fun time" at all. There are NO rules of engagement other than saving your own butt, FIRST and foremost. I once had a VERY wise LEO mentor tell me, if they use their fists, you use your stick, if they use a knife, you use your gun and punch their ticket to Hell. I believed him then as I do now. While I no longer have to attend bar fights, by employment and/or choice, it's a good plan tom have, to get the hell out before the fight starts.

There is NO harm nor shame in having the good God given sense to get out well before the trouble starts and some dipstick decides to pull out his gun and end a perfectly good fist fight,m by shooting everybody there.

Also, Krauss has it correct, I always preferred to "work in close" in stopping violent action. That was just my style, as I have "aged" somewhat gracefully, with that age comes wisdom and treachery. Cheat, bite, kick scratch, poke an eye out, tear off a testicle or two, or an ear, whatever you have to do to get away from the violence that attacked you. I absolutely fully embrace conflict avoidance unashamedly, I am smarter than to fight with various lowlife, scum bag thugs, drunks, and assorted emembers of the Great Unwashed of Society. WHY? What purpose could it possibly serve? Exactly. None.

Avoid the trouble in the first place, you've been called those names before and like then, consider the source from which it was farted out. keep your ego and your freedoms intact, just leave. It's what real men do. Now, if the trouble intentionally decides to follow you and pursue their predation, that's a WHOLE 'nother ball of wax to discuss.Hope this helps, I've had too many lumps, bumps, bruises and contusions to last me a lifetime to try and prove any more points. My ego is secure at this point in my life. Hope this helps someone younger than me and a whole lot smarter....

As an MP, I was taught to have the gun in your strong hand, your stick in the other hand and to take no crap at all, from anybody. Watch your buddy's back, cause he'll be watching yours. never hit the head, try to only hit side of knee or down the shin, the military needs its manpower. If necessary, strike the forearm, elbow, or collarbone. Dont permanently injure anyone if you can help it. VA hates paying disability to a-holes for the rest of their lives.