Sign in to follow this  
PandaSurvivor

My revised BOB

Looks like a great kit, recognize many of the items on it. I also know how quickly the weight adds up on those items for sure but have you weighed what you plan to carry on your back?

Due to the title of this forum I have to be a little negative, I don't run a lightweight bag at 50lbs but I think that list would outweigh mine by quite a bit. I see that you have two bags listed and I'd run with that idea. I'd put the basics essentials that you are sure you can carry into a manageable BOB and then build a bigger/heavier auxillary stash to hold the re-supply items for your bag plus anything else you need. If you can leave by vehicle you can haul it, or if you have a cheap pack with a frame you can have someone else haul it for you. All your items look good, just doubting your ability to carry it long term. If I'm wrong I can't pick anything else to play devils advocate about right off.

My 2.5" Taurus 357 weighs 1lb 9.4oz loaded. Just thinking leaving it off might be a way to drop some weight, or carry more rifle and 9mm ammo. I'm a big 357 fan and that's what I carry but one or the other pistol moving to the auxillary box would be a quick way to cut weight. Also again just my thinking, I'd carry less pistol ammo and more rifle ammo if I had to choose. Your rifle is big enough you aren't going to conceal it easily so it's best to be able to feed it if someone else wants it bad. Also it's the most efficient food gathering firearm on your list. I pack a 22LR rifle that weighs 15oz, over a half pound less than my estimated weight for your 357. A 22 and a pound of ammo can really help make your larger caliber ammo go further.

Shovels are a great item to have, but in my area it is one I move to the auxillary bag. Your situation and mine are likely totally different, so take my comments for what they are worth. 5 days of water is extremely heavy to have on your back also if a re-supply plan is available. I also tend to lean toward fishing, traps, or hunting for short term food re-supply with heirloom seeds for long term aid rather than all packable short term food items. 2 serving mountain house meals average 6-7oz each in a sealed package, so they can add up also at nearly a half pound each. I'm being pretty critical, but realize my comments are intended to make you think, not to tell you what is best for your situation.

Well I have been thinking and I have come of with a weight distribution idea, since I will have at least four people in my group I am going to divide up everything into job specific groups and give everyone a job. and Autonomous that is really good to know I didn't know that.

Well I have been thinking and I have come of with a weight distribution idea, since I will have at least four people in my group I am going to divide up everything into job specific groups and give everyone a job. and Autonomous that is really good to know I didn't know that.

Sounds like a good idea. Each person should be cross-trained to an extent in case one person becomes unable to complete their duties, but spreading out the weight is definitely a good idea. Also having one person in charge of fire, one shelter, one water, one on sentry duty, etc will make stops for the night more efficient. My girlfriend & I do that with our bags. Hers has her clothing and sleeping/shelter system and the Esbit stove, mountain house meals, and other pre-made food. She has less skill at food gathering and wilderness survival than I do, although she is learning. Anyway in the event we became separated each of us has the basic necessities of survival and resources in our bag that best fit our skill sets. Hopefully we could stay together but shoot for the best plan for the worst.

One thing I changed recently is that we carry some ammo that fit's each others guns. Both our handguns take the same ammo, but now she also has 60 rounds of 223 in her bag to fit my rifle. I already had a pound of 22LR that works in her 10-22 in my pack for my little pack rifle.

Each person should have the basics of survival in their pack but specializing beyond that isn't all bad within a group.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I like that someone is on scout/sentry duty while the rest are busy working. Might consider moving fire making to the list of whoever is doing the cooking or involved with camp work. If you stop for the night and want someone to forage they are going to need to get started right away, not nurse a fire first.

one thing that I would like to add is anything that has an eye like fingernail clippers magnifier and adjustable wrench etc I would put a lanyard on them

dropping and loosing some of these items can make your life hard i have orage and yellow para cord the lighter weight one at least so you can have a neck or wrist

tether I have one on my compass tied through the drain hole in the pouch if I need to handle my map or use my binoculars

I also have one on my binoc's so if I need too I can drop them and have my hands free without having to try to stuff them back in their pouch.

I love a Molle vest it allows each person the ability arrange their equipment as to priority and ergonomic placement add a BOB and bat belt

your rigged to move out and enough duplication to ensure that any loss will not be devastating as far as looking military I am torn only toward how others may

have to deal with that. as for me I don't see me running around with a sponge boob backpack and a stuffy fluffy animal pillow / carry all I figure if you got a paper sack

someone who does not have anything but a gun and a few rounds of ammo will shoot you and take it for an example I give you Katrina.

it did not matter what people had they were attacked and robbed.

Sorry Im late...

I realy like the first shovel..It has everything you need to build and hide and fight with if need be..

Panda your doing it right..keep at it..Im a bug in person..But I have my 72 hour get home pack...and now a winter bag that goes with me everywhere.

Thanks to everone who posted I learned something new..

B Matt

Anyone have a .308 hunting rifle.

I do have a .308 but I consider it more a defense weapon than hunting. It is certainly accurate enough out to at least 400 yards but my hunting gun is a 7mm Rem Mag or a .30-30 lever depending on terrain. I have the 'buffalo' bores for BIG game.

Panda,

I've grown quite fond of the CZ rifles. Many have the single set trigger for long range shots while allowing a fast shot up close. Good reputation for reliability and accuracy. That said, the PTR-91 is an excellent shooter, made in the US, and will handle any .308 rounds you want to use. I rather like it and it doubles as a solid battle rifle. Being the US clone of the HK-91 it has seen some use. Mine is not scoped which is why I don't count it as my primary hunting rifle but it would be good in that role. I note the price for one has gone up $300 in the last 3 months or so.

I'd look at anything Savage/Stephens (same company now) puts out. They are the most under rated manufacturer out there in my opinion. Solid stuff without the big name price tag. The Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle is in .308 and looks absolutely solid. I have never found a Ruger I didn't like. I'm thinking a Scout is in my future if time and finances are on my side. I like the looks of that rifle but it also is going up in price.

I hope this helps.

Which is better for hunting center or rim fire?

centerfire is the best for hunting medium to large game I like Capt Barts choices he listed and agree if your going to get a

rifle a 308 gives you all the choices of bullet weights and will take any animal in north America.due to it's use in all the military's

of the world it makes it very affordable and easy to find ammo can shoot to 1,000 yards+ and is not all that expensive

as to other calibers.

If I were pressed to get something now and wanted to have money for other things I would go with the savage or for a bit more a good Ruger my only advice on a bolt rifle is to get the medium taper barrel thin barrels heat up too fast and string shots

and bull barrels are to heavy for all day carry

I looked at their site the stevens model 200 in 308 winchester retail was $420 bucks better hurry the others have gone

way up since I last looked at them

http://savagearms.com/firearms/models/

For a 308 to handle hunting and defense I'd look at a Remington 760 or 7600. They can be found used at reasonable prices and give you the main things I'd look for that I listed in no particular order. If a centerfire rifle can't meet all these criteria it's not on my list for rifle to go with a BOB. Many of my favorite hunting rifles don't make it, they are more specialized for making one shot kills at a variety of ranges. Guns that make it are more of a good at everything, great at nothing type weapon.

1. Decent accuracy for me 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100yds. 2-3" is sufficient for 90% of practical situations, but I'm picky.

2. Reliability, the gun has to feed and function reliably clean or reasonably dirty

3. Decent handling. The gun has to be easy to carry and quick to get the first shot on target.

4. Scope plus Secondary sighting system. Usually for me this means a scoped rifle with iron sights for back-up. For my M77 Ruger 22 magnum I have a second small scope with rings set up to fit the built-in bases

5. Detachable magazine. I want to be able to reload quickly with spare magazines. Lever actions generally don't have this and it's part of my reason for prefering pumps to lever actions personally.

6. Effective cartridge. I want enough power for defense without such a big case and bullet that the ammo weighs up really quickly. 223 is my minimum, 30-06 is about my max. I want to be able to shoot an efficient pointed boattail bullet for longer ranges. Anything I choose will be effective to at least 300yds, preferably 400yds.

My personal choice is a Remington 7615 carbine in 223. I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone choosing a larger cartridge, but for me the ability to carry more ammo/pound trumps the extra power of the bigger guns. 308 isn't extremely common in my area, if I was to step up it would likely be to the 243 or 270 winchester in a Remington 760 or 7600

Not saying that's right for everyone everywhere, just what works where I'm from.