Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

Traps, Tricks, and Tools

For small, interesting traps/tricks that will help in survival.

This thread is mostly for traps, interesting techniques related to traps, helpful tools to set traps, and basically just a list of traps, feel free to post them wherever if you'd like.

Here's a form you can use if desired:

~~~~~~Trap, Tricks, and Tools~~~~~~

Name (if any):

Trap type:

Materials/Bait:

Prey:

Cost:

Time to set up:

Time to wait for a catch:

Difficulty:

How to set it up/details:

---------------------------------

Name (if any): I call it, The Predator

Trap Type: Net/Technique

Materials/Bait: A small net, any meat, rocks, optional- a stool to sit on, goggles.

Prey: Smaller Fish, Minnow, Bluegill

Cost: $0-$5

Time to set up: 10 Minutes

Time to wait for a catch: Hands on, 5-120 minutes.

Difficulty: 3/10 Easy

How to set it up/details:

This one is partially a trap, partially hands on fishing, what you do is get all of the materials. Then put some meat in the net, in little pieces, put some rocks in the bottom of the net. Submerge it in water and wait for small fish to go near it.

The key here is too be patient, the fish will actually swim into your net. Why do they do this? I like to think of it similar to bidding at an auction, they see all this action and one foolish person gets caught up in the moment and makes the wrong move. Well the fish see the food getting eaten up outside of the net so they rush for the food inside of the net without thinking, and BAM, you quickly bring the net upwards out of the water and close it.

You'll either see a fish or you wont, but I've caught 30 fish in 2 hours doing this, and one time I got 5 in one grab! You want the net aiming diagonal to the surface of the water (up and pointing away from you). Lead a trail of bait (lunch meat, cat food, cheese, even bubblegum sometimes!) from the outside of the net to inside it. It takes a while to get the hang of it but man is it effective. You can put rocks in the bottom of the net to make it stay where you want it.

You can do this in the middle of the water if you have goggles, (its really hard, but possible, to do it without goggles when the water is up to your chest) or at the shore crouching down (or sitting on a stool), the whole time you want to remain very still, no sudden movements.

I first did this when I was 14 and it took be about an hour to actually catch one, the key is patience, but that does not mean lose all your bait and the fish get away. Bluegill eat anything, I caught them with loogies (gross right?) I let them go after but still.

I've seen beginners catch fish in 5 minutes doing this with proper instruction.

Good luck trying it, this is to catch small fish, not big game, but you never know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feel free to post your own or rate mine!

Edited by TheDefaultHuman
Slight Editing

I was recently in Destin Fl., and couple of asia women were catching blue crabs off the edge of the dock with a moded bream/crappie metal basket. They had cut off the top, and left the collapsable metal mesh part alone (so when they pulled up, sides would rise trapping crab + crabs legs went through bottom of metal mesh) and they were tying a small piece of bait to middle of metal mesh. I sat there and watched them (got tips) for about 30 min, in that time they caught 9... have other trapping methods but thread reminded me of that.

Yeah thats pretty cool, are you implying they new because they were Asian? Lol well yeah your kinda right, people that have backgrounds in other countries are usually really good at things like that. Fisherman in some countries just use Bamboo and trap fish easily, enough to eat and sell and not make them go extinct.

trapping marmot trick, can be applied to gophers and prarie dogs, get a 3 or 4ft pole, walking stick, this'll be the spring, tie some 550 cord to it and about 4ft to 6ft tie a small overhand bite knot, slip that loop back over the cord, so it slides along itself, line this loop around the hole of said dinner. when dinner shows up yank the stick to close the loop around dinner and beat with stick like a paddle ball toy. may take several hours or several minutes, depends how quiet you are and which direction the wind is blowing, this way, dinner won't run down the hole and die somewhere if you only knick'm with a bullet. while waiting intently on the ground, make sure someone else is watching your back cause you won't be able to see that grizzly tracking you 50ft away. one way to keep the kids the occupied and quiet...

The cheapest trap I have found is a big rat trap. It cost two bucks and takes seconds to set up. Most small game are targets. One thing I would add is tying it off to some 550 paracord in case you catch something a little bigger or only trap the animals limb, that way they don't scurry off after setting off the trap.

I caught a scrub jay in a rat trap. I was kind of sad because it wasn't the squirrel that has been raiding the garden. So yeah you can get other stuff but but for stuff bigger then rats but smaller the a dog a Conibear type trap might be the way to go

A 110 body grip attached to a tree with a clip (Killer Klips is one name brand), will bedeadly on squirrel. I attach a piece of 550 cord to the spring and a limb to swing the squirrel away from scavengers after it's caught.

Placing whole kernel corn in a trail to bait small game birds will also help with snaring them. They swallow the kernel whole and this will help lock the snare (I use fishing line for birds) on their throat. Just run a trail of corn along your path and as they eat, they keep walking to the next kernel and through the snare.