Sign in to follow this  
Dangerwolfe

Best all around hand-held radio

Seems like a good radio. The only problem I have with it, which is simply a personal preference, is that it doesn't have more frequencies like 6 meter. 2 meter and higher frequencies will probably get very busy during emergency situations. I like that my hand-held also has 6 meter for that reason. On the other hand, this Wouxun has some advantages, especially the cost.

Just remember, 2 meter requires a ham license. Also, 2 meter and up is strictly local, line of sight stuff unless you have operational repeaters still up. I have and use them, they are great in their place but they are not the answer to all communications problems.

Just remember, 2 meter requires a ham license. Also, 2 meter and up is strictly local, line of sight stuff unless you have operational repeaters still up. I have and use them, they are great in their place but they are not the answer to all communications problems.

Are there any hand-helds that do 10M? I haven't seen any.

Although long term communication would be important, I think local communication is far more important. I think 2 Meter and 75cm will work perfectly fine for that. I don't think most people have enough time to invest in home set ups. I certainly don't. Thats not to say I don't care about long distance communication. I just think when the SHTF we will primarily be converting into local communities with almost no care of what's happening outside of a 50 mile radius. I'm going to stick to hand-held radios and invest my time on having really good antennas or other non-communication preps.

Are there any hand-helds that do 10M? I haven't seen any.

Yes, there are a few that do 10 and 6 meters. I don't have the names at the moment - they're Icom, Yaseu or Kenwood rigs IIRC.

If you're only interested in local coms for you, I'd still recommend a short wave receiver just so you can listen in on what the ham operators and foreign broadcast stations are saying. It might be informative and there are a lot of them out there, fairly cheaply. There are some really EXPENSIVE ones as well but you don't have to get the all singing, all dancing version to listen to the world.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Yes, there are a few that do 10 and 6 meters. I don't have the names at the moment - they're Icom, Yaseu or Kenwood rigs IIRC.

If you're only interested in local coms for you, I'd still recommend a short wave receiver just so you can listen in on what the ham operators and foreign broadcast stations are saying. It might be informative and there are a lot of them out there, fairly cheaply. There are some really EXPENSIVE ones as well but you don't have to get the all singing, all dancing version to listen to the world.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Thats not a bad idea. But wouldn't you have to switch out antennas depending on what frequencies you're scanning?

Receivers don't have the same critical antenna requirements as a transmitter. A nice long (ish) wire will do wonders. The reason for the matched antennas on the transmitter is that with a mismatch some of the transmitted energy is reflected back into the radio. It can (I've seen it personally) destroy the output transistors/tubes of the transmitter. That is why the antenna matching unit. Yes, a matched receiver antenna will do a better job than just some random wire BUT it is not critical and in general works just fine. When tuning my antennas, I set the tuner for maximum noise in the receiver (thus close to the right electrical match) and then fine tune it with low transmitted power. I also have a short wave receiver that is connected to a bunch of wire in the attic and it does a good job as just a receiver.

Short answer is that no you don't have to switch antennas unless you're a purist who insists on a perfect match for all occasions. If you are that person, then an antenna tuner does the job for you.

Receivers don't have the same critical antenna requirements as a transmitter. A nice long (ish) wire will do wonders. The reason for the matched antennas on the transmitter is that with a mismatch some of the transmitted energy is reflected back into the radio. It can (I've seen it personally) destroy the output transistors/tubes of the transmitter. That is why the antenna matching unit. Yes, a matched receiver antenna will do a better job than just some random wire BUT it is not critical and in general works just fine. When tuning my antennas, I set the tuner for maximum noise in the receiver (thus close to the right electrical match) and then fine tune it with low transmitted power. I also have a short wave receiver that is connected to a bunch of wire in the attic and it does a good job as just a receiver.

Short answer is that no you don't have to switch antennas unless you're a purist who insists on a perfect match for all occasions. If you are that person, then an antenna tuner does the job for you.

Great info Capt. I took the exam almost a year ago now so I'm a little rusty on my ham stuff, but I don't remember ever learning that. It makes sense with what I learned about SWR. If you're not sending out a signal then you can't really have a standing wave. (Unless i missed something)