Sign in to follow this  
shadowplyr

firestarters experiment

the wife left me alone for the day so i had an idea..... why not see what the best firestarter is!!!!!!!!!!

post with your preferred method of making a firestarter and i will make it and see how long it burns, how hot, and how effective it is for starting a fire....

mine is the boyscout traditional cardboard egg carton with dryer lint and wax

whats yours?

results to follow

navy,

lets be real, a lighter will do jack when/if it has rained. and id venture to say most people dont know how to make a successful fire with just a match or a lighter...i have seen first hand how poorly people are skilled with starting fires.

Well... for reason stated above, in a survival situation, less work is always better, so you can move on to the next task. But have no fear brother for we all here have an appreciation for a variety of firestarters and methods.

navy,

i agree with you 100% which is why i think a fire starter is better, it takes FAR less work to start a fire then trying to slowly build your fire from tinder slowly up, with a good fire starter you can throw the bigger fuel on right away because the starter IS your tinder.

i like mag for fun but a good 9v battery and steel wool are the most fun and fastest way. Vaseline cotton balls are cool. So's this striker stick. Can't beat a bic lighter and good tender.

Other good tricks are the wetfire cubes, they light real easy and burn a while. I also keep a 5hr energy bottle full of Coglan's fire paste in some of my kits. Dipping tinder twigs in the paste and adding them can give a sputtering fire a boost or dipping the bottom couple inches of a slightly damp twig and laying it on teepee style can get the flame to climbing it and drying it out. An Esbit fuel tab will burn for 10 minutes or so. I like having several tricks in my kit for less than ideal conditions. If I can start collecting material in my travels ahead of time it's pretty easy to get a good fire from found tinder and a lighter or ferro rod. I am in the habbit of snagging fine dry grass, a birds nest, thistle, or cattail as I come across them and wrapping them in a bandana in my pocket if I think I may need a fire, or at least noting their location as I travel. It's situations like an "I just fell in the freezing creek breaking my leg in the process and the wind is blowing 30mph" that I want all the tricks right there with me. My tinder alone always has at least 45 minutes to an hour of burn time so I should be able to get a fire built if I can sustain a flame that long, either that or freeze to death in the process of trying.

Just an FYI also, some of the backpacking and hunting forums I have read up on say that lighters butane can stop flowing at high elevation. Most all of them carry a both a lighter and a firesteel/striker/tinder option. I tried my lighter at the top of a few passes this summer and it always worked, so temperature likely factors in also. Still just another reason to have both options depending on where you live/travel.

Also I've posted this before but I keep an old mayo or peanut butter jar on the dryer and fill it with lint over time. When a jar is full I wrap a piece of plastic around a piece of hacksaw blade and small firesteel and tape them to the inside of the lid. The filled jars get stuck in the boat, deer blind, truck, wherever. A couple old lean-to sheds in pastures we rent quite a ways from home have them hidden away in the rafters with a little dry wood. If it gets lost or stolen your only out a few bucks, and not to many people would have any idea what it was if they found it. With the right tinder a guy could make a quite a few fires with a jar of compressed lint and a way to ignite it. Firesteels.com has the little mini steels for a buck that work fine for this, or larger ones cost only a little more.

I,still like pine pitch mixxed with magnesium powder(ya can get magnesium powder at art supply stores) wrap a fingernail sized glob in a square of TP and you've got a great fire starter no matter what the weather!

the wife left me alone for the day so i had an idea..... why not see what the best firestarter is!!!!!!!!!!

post with your preferred method of making a firestarter and i will make it and see how long it burns, how hot, and how effective it is for starting a fire....

mine is the boyscout traditional cardboard egg carton with dryer lint and wax

whats yours?

results to follow

I just learned about fat lighter last week. The guys who told me about it always have some with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwood

Sign in to follow this