Sign in to follow this  
WestsideJohn

Winter Gear

Just like the title says, I'm looking for some good, waterproof winter gear. I prefer 2 piece to a coverall. And do not want something all colorful. Does not have to be camo, just not bright colors.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Also prefer the gear to not break the bank. Looking for pants, jacket/parka, boots, gloves, hats, and under garments. Thinking of Underarmor for the under garments, but not 100% yet.

Thanks,

John, Are you looking for a Carhart type of bibs and coat? If so, Rural King seems to have the best prices (at least around here). I paid $24 for my son's coat. I bought him bib's this past spring for $10 when they went on clearance. I picked up a few pairs and extras in different sizes for as they grow.

Sportsman guide has German military...

Used German Military Surplus Fleck Camo Suit

GORE - TEX® 100% WATERPROOF and 100% breathable! ..

$45.00..............I have the pants and a parka with liner....

The German's understand COLD...I also have thier thinsulate gloves...

JMO...works for me..

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-german-military-surplus-fleck-camo-suit.aspx?a=59197

Grant, at Rural King, it is their name brand, Real Work Wear or Behre (I think was the "B" brand). The real Work Wear is tagged made in America and I've tortured mine and it has held up. The only item I'm not buying is their vest and that is only because it's a style I don't like to wear. They are online as well.

I stock up as soon as the spring clearance runs start...lol. I've seen the clearances ran at Tractor Supply, Menards, Lowes, etc, so really start hunting after the holidays for "extras". At $10-15 I can afford to stock all my BOL locations as well.

Gor-tex and/or thinsulate , Flannel and quilted clothing. I never liked down-stuff much.

In winter i like wearing a simple pair of jogging pants and long-sleeve tshirt as a base layer. 1 pair of wool under 1 pair of cotton socks.

my new favorite place for Cold-weather gear

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-work-pants-fire-hose-work-pants-92204.aspx?ev3=recommended_picks

Shawn, I agree. I've had Carhart myself with good experience. I bought the real Work Wear brand since it was much cheaper, American made and while I have had it for only 2 years (this is my 3d winter), it has held up superbly. I have a stain where fifth wheel grease got on a sleeve, but other than that, no issues and it's been abused...lol.

Carhardt is good and tough, I have and use tons of their products. It is also heavy, gets heavier when wet, and dries slow. The more I wear the good hunting clothing out of the tough light synthetics the less I wear my old carhardt stuff. It costs plenty but I got all mine bought for around 1/3 of what like Bass Pro or Cabelas charge at full retail by being patient and using forums, ebay, and sales to pick it up. I haven't worn my Carhardt bibs in several years since I got the Sitka Celcius bibs. They are so much lighter and less restrictive with their stretchable material. I work outdoors and after years of using them on the ranch and hunting all winter they aren't showing much wear. They are as tough as Carhardt and dry in 1/3 the time. I paid $90 for them on a sale, not much more than carhardt or similar.

Russel APX, Sitka, and Core 4 Element are the brands I watch for. They are high priced unless you find a deal, but deals can be found and they are excellent clothing staying warm and dry. They make great merino wool base layers also.