Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wally

trapping

13 posts in this topic

Wally, Lewis and Clark ate coyote quite often, haven't read of any of the mountainmen admiting to eating a bobcat or lynx, but they classed mountain lion as a delicasy. I imagine if it came down to it, a bobcat and lynx could be on the menu.

Remember, the most recent cases of the plague have all been hunters and trappers harvesting wild cats (bobcats and lynx) that I know of. I'm sure there are other causes, these are just the ones I know of.

Anyone serious about trapping should check into Fur Takers of America and National Trapper's Association. They both have periodicals published about fur prices and tips. Fur, Fish and Game is also another good source besides the trapping books.

Ok reg I did it got 6 #110 conibear traps on order for BOBs, just can't beat a trap for as the infomercial puts it " Just set it and forget it" now I guess I need to get a few trap kits set up, peanut butter, bird seed, raisins, kernel corn.....any other suggestions, I have not set a trap in many many years.

And reg I know they are illegal but have you ever seen any of the old .22 traps I remember hearing of them as a kid and saw one awhile back for sale on guns America ($1600 I believe they wanted)

Don, for the 110 and targeting squirrel, even a corn cob soaked in salt water works well. They are ever abundant as well, at least in my area. Pieces of fruit will usually work as well.

I'm glad you're taking the step. I'd also recommend snares. NW Trapper's Supply offers a kit with a how to video and the components to build 12 snares. They are light and more versatile to take larger game if need be.

I also recommend Killer Klips ( http://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com/TrapsTrappingSupplies/ProductDetails/tabid/69/ProductID/328/Default.aspx ). Once you have them, they are fairly easy to improvise from other material, conduit pieces work well. They allow you to set the 110 on the tree trunk to target squirrel.

I posted a few tricks I use with the 110 to keep predators from stealing my supper in the trapping thread. Once you get them, clean them well. They will have an oil on them for preservation during shipping that needs to be removed. Then dye them. I don't wax my body grips or snares personally, I know some do. The biggest obstacle is making sure you don't put a drop of sweat on the traps once ready to go.