Sign in to follow this  
Rambo

Dual Band Radios

I didnt see anyone post anything here about the Baofeng UHF VHF dual band portable radios (unless i missed it).

Ive heard good reviews on these radios and there under $60 on ebay. They transmitt over the full uhf and vhf bands including public saftey (So be careful) To me theyed make a good radio for survival SHTF or whatever. They also have built in am fm radio and a led flashlight. Lots of accessories also. Supposedly the batery lasts a long time too plus you can buy extra batteries cheap and the hi capacity battery too.

Check them out.

I didnt see anyone post anything here about the Baofeng UHF VHF dual band portable radios (unless i missed it).

Ive heard good reviews on these radios and there under $60 on ebay. They transmitt over the full uhf and vhf bands including public saftey (So be careful) To me theyed make a good radio for survival SHTF or whatever. They also have built in am fm radio and a led flashlight. Lots of accessories also. Supposedly the batery lasts a long time too plus you can buy extra batteries cheap and the hi capacity battery too.

Check them out.

They dont receive AM, only FM.

I actually bought one a couple of weeks ago. Nice handy little radio. Takes a little study to figure it out (like all modern, menu driven rigs) but it tickles the local repeaters nicely on both bands. The battery is fairly long lived on receive. The antenna is a stubby, you'll get better performance with a longer antenna. A word of caution, the connector for the antenna is NOT the usual VHF/UHF connecter. It is the SMA connector and the male/female difference is confusing if you're not careful.

I bought the long antenna but got the wrong one so now I either need another antenna or an adapter. Nothing expensive but I just messed it up.

Good radio though.

Haven't been on in a while and just happened to come across this post right after I was looking at these very radios online. They're on Amazon for $33, and I was a little nervous about ordering one because as we all know, you typically get what you pay for. Are these good radios for the money? If so I'll order a couple.

Just as a reminder if you put these in a BOB, remember to pull them out and turn them on. They have an internal capacitor/battery that will run down eventually. It needs to be recharged periodically.

I have one, a UV-5RAX, and it's a good little radio. Granted, you're not gonna reach out a long way with one, unless you can hit a repeater, but all in all, for the money, a heck of a good radio. If you do get one, there's a website by miklor, that explains the programming and operation of this radio, since it's all menu driven. I also suggest you get a USB cable and download CHIRP, it makes programming these radios a snap. Cant beat Amazon's prices, fwiw.